• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me find a "new" mid-life crisis car.

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnGalt
3 series are for kids - I can't take seriously anyone over 30 driving one. SLK is a woman's car.
facepalm.gif
I guess that leaves the 1-series for absolutes spouting teenagers like you.
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
Excellent question. In my saner moments I think I should keep what I have because I put so many miles on a car. For at least the next 3 years or so I'll likely have a massive commute that will eat up a car. This really argues against something at the higher end of my price range since it's going to be a 100K car by the time I get rid of it in 3 years. I've actually considered going with a 3 year lease with extended mileage (22K/year or so) for this reason, because I'd probably be looking at changing again in 3 years. I should probably just keep what I have a while longer...but I want one...
devil.gif

Just wanted to let you know that most German manufacturers don't want to lease a new car to you for more than 36 or 39 months and they certainly don't want you to drive more than 15k miles per year. If you look at the manufacturer set residual values and money factors, aka lease interest rates, the lease gets extremely expensive after 36 months/15k miles year. You may be able to pre-purchase extra miles on a lease in advance but I don't think they will be cheap. It may be less expensive to take advantage of 0.9-2.9% financing and buy the car outright. Leasing a used car is usually a very bad deal with payments similar to what you would pay for a comparable brand new model.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
bigger is better? No. Aluminum is better than plastic? Yes. The car was totaled in the low speed bump.

The skin of a car isn't important in a crash for protecting the passengers. The Elise has an aluminum chassis underneath its plastic exterior that handles the crash energy.

--Andre

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chrisjustinparr
If you were truly going through a mid life crisis, you'd buy one of these. Go for something cool but non-practical because you've always wanted one when you were younger.

Funny enough they are actually decent in terms of practicality.. Comfy, good highway mileage, etc.

Night Owl

Reaction score
i cant believe you are talking about a 3 series for a MID LIFE CRISIS car, its about as wild as drinking milk one day past the expiration date

slk is still for hairdressers no

epb

Reaction score
There used to be a saying - "Nobody ever got fired for buying IBM." In the sports car world, that same phrase works for Porsche 911s. Your proposed budget would be fine for a 996 cab, ideally a 2002+ with the facelifted front-end. I'd also suggest a Mercedes-Benz SL500, if you're more interested in cruising with style than a hardcore driving experience involving track days. Both of these have better images than the Boxster and SLK, though both are fine cars.

You could possibly forgo the sports car altogether and get a Rolls-Royce or Bentley. There are people that say the best revenge is living well. Most people find that expression hard to believe, but most people have never seen the expression on the face of an ex-girlfriend upon seeing you emerge from a Rolls-Royce.
smile.gif
Though with an ex-wife, I imagine it might spark legal proceedings inquiring into your finances...

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
308 GTB (or S). 'Nuff said.

1984_Ferrari_308_GTB_qv.jpg

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
BMW 5-series
Audi A5
MB CLK or wait a year and get a used E coupe
Porsche Cayman

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
The skin of a car isn't important in a crash for protecting the passengers. The Elise has an aluminum chassis underneath its plastic exterior that handles the crash energy.

--Andre

I'm not talking about saftey, but rather the general destruction of a car at low speeds.

But I'd still love one
smile.gif

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
BMW 5-series
Audi A5
MB CLK or wait a year and get a used E coupe
Porsche Cayman

I've been looking at Caymans and love them but even used they are above Mark's price range.

uhurit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd definitely get a Jag, 2-3 years old...XKR/XJR

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by spudnik99
Porsche 993.
This would be a fun car, but I'd suggest keeping the Prius as a daily driver and having a fun car for play.

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dburr
has to be one of the ugliets cars ever

That's just a silly statement.

Besides, Magnum PI can't be wrong.
250x210%20MAGNUM%20-%20FERRARI.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads