• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me find a "new" mid-life crisis car.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The true midlife crisis cars of course are one of Audi TT or Porsche Boxter.

Nothing screams middle aged middle manager who just couldn't quite get there in life more than a greying man in a low end sports model of a prestige brand. It's like 'Oh yeah that's right I'm in a damn porsche but I can only afford a damn Boxter... But it's still a Porsche! And it's a sports model so I'm so ******* hip with the young guys. Oh yeah!... fml.
frown.gif
'

That or just get a Harley.

Edit: ok im completely off topic here

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Very nice, Mark! I'm sure that will greatly aid in bedding all the MILFs in Dallas.

Andrewc2232

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, have you looked into the chain tensioner/cylinder lining issues the earlier models were known for?

I'd also be interested to know what kind of mileage you're getting so far.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blahman
And it's a sports model so I'm so ******* hip with the young guys.

Have you ever even driven one? Especially at high speeds around hair pin turns.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Andrewc2232
Out of curiosity, have you looked into the chain tensioner/cylinder lining issues the earlier models were known for?

I'd also be interested to know what kind of mileage you're getting so far.

Had this one inspected by the dealership. No issues with that according to them.

Mileage is awful on these. Rated 17/24. Haven't checked it yet (only had it since Friday), but I doubt I'm getting that.

Originally Posted by Rambo
Swanky. What's the reliability like on those older model Jag's?

This one was designed and built, post Ford acquisition. Ford put a lot of time and attention into improving reliability in Jag and, from all appearances, did a creditable job with it. From everything I've read on these, reliability is fairly good on them. Just very expensive to repair if something does go wrong. A good aftermarket mechanic is a must.

I drove an old Jag several years ago (a pre-Ford model) and got used to the service issues. This one is leaps and bounds more fun to drive than that one was and has a lot more muscle to it as well.

WorkingOnIt

Reaction score
Congrats on the new car! It looks great and I definitely think red would have been a bit over the top.

Originally Posted by blahman
low end sports model of a prestige brand. It's like 'Oh yeah that's right I'm in a damn porsche but I can only afford a damn Boxter... But it's still a Porsche! And it's a sports model so I'm so ******* hip with the young guys. Oh yeah!... fml.
frown.gif
'

While the low-end/high-end divide may be very true for some other brands, the Boxster/Caymen vs 911 issue isn't quite so simple. Have you test driven a recent Boxster?

A Canuker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice choice.

epb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by antirabbit
perfect choice

Very nice, a friend had one of these and loved it. Funny aside, his showed up for sale on eBay and the ad was someone using pictures of his car ("What? Mine looks like that!" is the apology he got from the seller). I've toyed with getting a black coupe a few times...

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't help but think of XKs as old lady cars - when they were new, the only people I saw driving them were 65+ white-haired biddies. One, specifically, named Mildred.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I think those XK's are beautiful, nice choice. Really curious about how you get on with it over the long term, I've seen some for sale that are non-running, and you see plenty at good prices, but they seem like tons of car and are easily one of the sexiest non-exotic cars from the '90's.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads