• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

help me find a new go to outfits for parties

elliottw

Reaction score
you ever get invited to a party, and that's the only description you get? you know it's friday or saturday night, starts at 9 but doesn't really start till 11? well till now, my most versatile outfit has been a black button up, jeans, and a pair of boots or cps. i can roll up the sleeves and untuck if i need to look more casual.

any suggestions? what are your go to outfits when you have no idea what kind of function you're going to?

Nereis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who invited you, where is it, who else is coming, ie financial position of all involved. College parties = buttondown and jeans at most. Corporate = suit. House party = how expensive the house is, dress to the same standard.

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i don't find a suit for a party. i find a party that suits me.

wahwho11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grundletaint
i don't find a suit for a party. i find a party that suits me.

god damnit

ctrlaltelite

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i'm all about dressing like you have some place better to go later.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ctrlaltelite

Ok, so you wear like a cape and black tie? This is about as lame as "dress for the job you want" bullshit.

phildo

Reaction score
If there's no description it's most likely just 'come as you are'. I don't really get 'dressing up' for going to a party/bar.

ctrlaltelite

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Ok, so you wear like a cape and black tie? This is about as lame as "dress for the job you want" bullshit.

did i say "i wear a cummerbund and a blackwatch plaid blazer?"

pretty much i usually throw in neckwear, and depending on the weather a cardigan or another layer like a denim or surplus jacket. the point is to look presentable in a variety of situations, not like you're headed to the ******* oscars. still there's been cases where i have worn a suit everywhere, and even then there's nothing wrong with that if it's not frumpy.

elliottw

Reaction score
so yeah usually mid twenties to thirties. the thing that throws me is that i've gotten invited to two events so far, both by a girl whos 28, probably makes 100k or so, goes from grungy hipster to 20 dollar cocktails. so i thought maybe people here had go to outfits when you don't know what you're getting yourself into.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ctrlaltelite

yes but when you actually don't have some place better to go makes you look like a barney

elliot, throw on dinner jacket, slim pants and boots and mack to honies

sq4you

Mid-level baller
Reaction score
lanvin and prorsum at all times. that way, no matter what the situation, i will know i'm better than 99.9% of the people there.

if ctrlaltelite shows up wearing a lanvin cummerbund....then i acknowledge that he is in the 0.1% that's better than me.

phildo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by elliottw
so yeah usually mid twenties to thirties. the thing that throws me is that i've gotten invited to two events so far, both by a girl whos 28, probably makes 100k or so, goes from grungy hipster to 20 dollar cocktails. so i thought maybe people here had go to outfits when you don't know what you're getting yourself into.

Is this a house party or something at a bar/club? If it's at a bar they might have a website with pics of people there you can look at to get some idea of how casual it is.

CharlieAngel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My suggestions:
birthdayclown.jpg
xin_422020529103848438984.jpg
The_Nazi_Party.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics