• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me develop my style, guys

dougie

Reaction score
I've spent some time here. Without you all I wouldn't have shrunk my Levi's STFs properly. Still, I need help. I'm on the latter side of 25 and I still have a lot of wardrobe elements that are better suited for the latter side of 15. I like classic style but nothing formal as no aspect of my life requires formality, or even business dress. Brands I dig include Levi's, Converse, Jack Spade, Adidas Originals, Fender (guitars, not clothes). My favorite piece is my WW2-issue peacoat (looks like it was issued to me both in quality and cut). I have a good job but I can wear each and all of the above (minus guitar) to work. So help show me the way, if you would.

Number one on my list is a good lightweight jacket. I'd like it to be for spring and fall but spring's first so if I have to choose go with that. I like baracuta-style jackets (and the girl does too) but I'm not married to the idea so whatever you all come up with is cool.

Shirts: holy s--- I have enough sweaters I might start cutting myself but I don't really have a good arsenal of button-downs to wear to work. Tell me wear to get them.

Blazer/blazer-style jacket. I need one. I don't own one and it's wrong. Something reasonable, something cool, etc. I don't want to be one of those guys who wears a blazer everywhere (have you seen these guys?) but I want one just the same.

If you all can help me get started I'd really appreciate any input you can give me. Thanks.

Great Zamfir

Reaction score
Why not just go out and buy it? It seems you have a pretty good idea what you like, you have the cash, and button-downs, jackets and blazers can be found everywhere.

For the jacket: did you look at the Krell affiliate thread? There is apparently a guy on this forum selling self-designed jackets, and they look cool.

Button-downs: don't like these myself, but I believe that's partially an American/Europe difference. I personally like to put slightly formal dress shirt-styled shirts in my casual outfits. If you buy them with this in mind, it works to buy them a neck size smaller then your own. You can't wear them with a tie anymore, but they fit closer to your body. Try EBay for second-hand shirts in colors and patterns too busy for the MC forum, or just any random shop.

For blazers Zara might the place to go, but there are probably lots of American shops I don't know.

And don't forget shoes! If you really want to change your style, I would start with buying some pairs of shoes you secretly liked, but just didn't think they were "you".

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Jacket: This the racing jacket that forum affiliate Michael J Krell is selling. It is priced at $135. One advantage of buying from him is that the jacket can be customized, to an extent, to ensure a proper fit.
racing1big.jpg
And here's a link to that thread: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=27219 Shirts: If you're looking for brick and mortar store, I can't offer much advice. If you don't mind buying on the internet, take a look at forum affiliates, also, www.yoox.com has a wide selection of shirts. Whatever you do, make sure you buy shirts with a diverse range of collars. Different outfits demand different collars. (This is a flaw in my wardrobe that I'm trying to correct) Blazers: If you live in a location with 4 seasons, I'd suggest that you buy 2 blazers. Different seasons need different colors. A fall and winter blazer should be darker, like a charcoal gray pinstripe for example. Summer/spring blazers should be lighter, like a cream dupioni silk or something with tropical undertones. Once again, there is a forum affiliate called Thick As Thieves, that can help you out in the department. Here is their link: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=27754

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you are in Brooklyn, Stuart & Wright (Park Slope) and Oak (Williamsburg, and another location too, I think) are good places to get ideas, both carry good brands and have good selections. If you are not a clothes junkie with a good idea of brands and sizing and what works and what doesn't, I always recommend hitting Brick & Mortar stores before trying the internet. If you have time to get into Manhattan, APC is good for jackets and blazers, Blue in Green is good for jeans, and their other clothing selections are good as well, Famous Friends, similarly, Odin is probably a best bet. Other stores you might try out are BBlessing, Oliver Spencer, Steven Alan, Nom de Guerre, Unis, Seize sur Vingt, I've heard that Denise Williamson now has a store, which should be cool, Opening Ceremony (although I find some of their things rather gimmicky) and Nom de Guerre. The Barracuta G9 style is pretty popular right now, so lots of these stores should carry one or more versions. www.oipolloi.com carries the original.

Brands that make things that you might like: APC (jackets and blazers, also some shirting), Fillipa K (full line), 16sur20 (shirting), Nicholas K (jackets), Engineered Garments (jackets), Oliver Spencer (jackets and shirts, mostly).

dougie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
If you are in Brooklyn, Stuart & Wright (Park Slope) and Oak (Williamsburg, and another location too, I think) are good places to get ideas, both carry good brands and have good selections. If you are not a clothes junkie with a good idea of brands and sizing and what works and what doesn't, I always recommend hitting Brick & Mortar stores before trying the internet. If you have time to get into Manhattan, APC is good for jackets and blazers, Blue in Green is good for jeans, and their other clothing selections are good as well, Famous Friends, similarly, Odin is probably a best bet. Other stores you might try out are BBlessing, Oliver Spencer, Steven Alan, Nom de Guerre, Unis, Seize sur Vingt, I've heard that Denise Williamson now has a store, which should be cool, Opening Ceremony (although I find some of their things rather gimmicky) and Nom de Guerre. The Barracuta G9 style is pretty popular right now, so lots of these stores should carry one or more versions. www.oipolloi.com carries the original.

Brands that make things that you might like: APC (jackets and blazers, also some shirting), Fillipa K (full line), 16sur20 (shirting), Nicholas K (jackets), Engineered Garments (jackets), Oliver Spencer (jackets and shirts, mostly).

Whoa, this looks like a great start. I really appreciate the tips. Off to Manhattan right now.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads