• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me decide...which shoe with dress pants

hkoros

Reaction score
Can't decide which to buy.....which shoe would you wear with dress pants?

Plain toe:
6219-626099-p.jpg

or

Apron toe:
9755-626096-p.jpg

thanks for any opinions.

Eccentric

Reaction score
I would not buy either, for multiple reasons. Ecco is way overpriced for what it is. For the money you would pay for those, you could buy a much nicer pair of AE onine, and they would last you longer. Both of those shoes are made on a very inelegant last. I would personaly avoid that shape. The other thing to consider is that a pair of brown shoes would almost certainly look better. Look through some websites for expensive brands like John Lobb. I know that is probably not in you price range, but you will get some very good ideas.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
Neither one.

+1

If you're going to wear the shoes with a suit, I'd say go for an Oxford rather than a Derby (like those). A great staple for Suits or Dress Pants is is a black cap toe Oxford such as the Allen Edmonds Park Avenue

_5196614.jpg

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
Neither one.

+1

Though if I really had to choose I'd go with the first, because I don't really like split-toes...

hkoros

Reaction score
thanks, i chose ecco because they're known to be comfortable....i don't know any other comfortable brands.
Are these other high end brands like AE as comfortable?

Also, I'm looking for a slightly sleeker shoe than the usual oxfords that people wear with business suits.
I'm more into the fashion district suit type (ie. slim suits), so if you have any shoe ideas that go with slimmer suits, that'll be great.

How would those Allen Edmons Park Avenues look with a slim suit? (ie. would it be too traditional for a slim suit?)

Eccentric

Reaction score
The "Ecco=comfort" thing is very common to hear. What is less common, though with probably more truth behind it, is that properly fitting dress shoes are extremely comfortable. IMO, properly fitting Park Avenue's will not only be as, if not more comfortable than the Ecco's, but will look nice with almost any suit.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eccentric
The "Ecco=comfort" thing is very common to hear. What is less common, though with probably more truth behind it, is that properly fitting dress shoes are extremely comfortable. IMO, properly fitting Park Avenue's will not only be as, if not more comfortable than the Ecco's, but will look nice with almost any suit.

Amen brother.

I have a pair of AE Park Avenues that fit my feet like a glove. It feels like the shoe was made for my me. Extremely comfortable. I wore them the other day with a charcoal gray suit to a corporate event. A lot of standing and walking around to meet with people. Afterwards we all did a little bar hopping and my feet didn't complain a bit.

They aren't the most elegant or modern looking shoe. But my feet are a C width and therefore help to make the shoes look a little more sleek. I find square toes to be extremely clunky and not flattering most of the time. Just my $0.02.

*Disclaimer* the shoes did not feel like this right out of the box. Took a couple of days to break in.

Anything with a decent goodyear welted sole should last years and perhaps decades longer than the injected and glued rubber soles found on those Ecco's and the like; provided that proper care is taken of course. Speaking of which, I need to look into getting my PA's resoled soon.

2Scoops

Reaction score
if you're worried about the conservative look of the park avenues, theres always the allen edmonds soho which is more elongated.

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
good lord those are horrendous.

for your sake, don't buy either. as others have said, spend a little more and buy some Allen Edmonds...my vote is the Evanston in black.

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
From the laces back they look like velcro shoes.

hadamulletonce

Reaction score
Ecco isn't a bad shoe for sports. I have a pair for trail running and golf. Best golf shoes I've ever had.

The dress shoes just look terrible. I would agree that AE are far more comfortable, look great, and are run about the same price when on sale. If taken care of, AE shoes will out last the Ecco by many years.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A pair of sneakers is still more comfortable. Sometimes you have to sacrifice comfort to look this amazing.
teacha.gif
bounce2.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads