• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me decide: Keep or return BB Suit?

lobo411

Reaction score
Hello, I bought an 1818 Fitzgerald 36s in gray (solid, made in USA) during the Christmas sale online, which I paid $605 for after taxes and shipping. I tried it on when it arrived and I was happy with it. A few days later I was in Boston and stopped by the BB store on Newbury St., where I found a navy pinstripe 1818 Fitz (made in Italy) for $675 all included (the only tailoring charge was $18 to let the jacket out by 3/4"). They gave me a 30% discount because I thought the suit was 40% off and it turned out to be full price. I had them ship the suit to me because I was leaving for California the next day. The navy pin recently arrived (after FedEx sent it all over the country, but that's another story!), and it fits me absolutely perfect! I don't think I've ever had a suit that fits me as well as the navy pin does. The gray made in USA suit feels like a weak sister compared to the navy stripe in terms of fit. I think I'm going to have to have the jacket taken in by around 1.5" to 2"! So my question is...is 2" too much to take in a jacket and still have it come out looking as good as the Italian suit? $605 seems like a decent price, but nothing to write home about. True? Is it just a coincidence that the Italian suit fit me so much better than the American suit, or does it have something to do with the ever expanding American girth? Finally, I should point out that I probably shouldn't have bought either suit because I'm looking for work and it ain't pretty out there. However, my two other suits are from Joseph A Bank and they flat out don't fit me right. I had them tailored and tapered and they just look like ill-fitting suits that were tailored and tapered. So I think I can justify one BB suit on the grounds that when you're thin and short, you just have to pay what it costs to not look like an idiot when a job opportunity comes up and you need a suit right now. But two suits, when you're unemployed...
redface.gif
Thoughts?

ns7

Reaction score
I would return the gray suit. You can always purchase one again this December if you have found a job.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd return the gray suit, yes. Reading between the lines you're in love with the second suit, and considering your financial situation you might not need two right now.

That said, hang on to the blue suit, it's an investment! Think about your interviewers, you come in wearing a MII BB suit or you come in wearing a Jos A Bank suit, they'll offer you 100K vs. 30K to start respectively.
teacha.gif

GL!

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SirGrotius
I'd return the gray suit, yes. Reading between the lines you're in love with the second suit, and considering your financial situation you might not need two right now.

+2. Keep the suit that makes you look (and feel!) like a million bucks.

CYstyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Return the grey if you haven't done the alterations yet.

Not a coincidence really in terms of fit. The factories in Italy do a much better job on the suits, than a lot of stuff that comes out of Southwick. Blame quality control I guess.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bleachboy
+2. Keep the suit that makes you look (and feel!) like a million bucks.
This.

lobo411

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback! I'm going to return the gray suit (unaltered). Money's an issue, but really the main objection is that it's so much bigger than the Italian navy pinstripe. I actually thought they had sent me the wrong size, but the shoulders are fine. It's just really baggy!

The website says that the Fitzes are made in the USA, but I got an Italian model in the store. Is there a difference between store inventory and the online store, or did I just get lucky?

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agree with everyone else.

And best of luck in your job search.
cheers.gif

CYstyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lobo411
Thanks for the feedback! I'm going to return the gray suit (unaltered). Money's an issue, but really the main objection is that it's so much bigger than the Italian navy pinstripe. I actually thought they had sent me the wrong size, but the shoulders are fine. It's just really baggy!

The website says that the Fitzes are made in the USA, but I got an Italian model in the store. Is there a difference between store inventory and the online store, or did I just get lucky?

Same Inventory regarding they don't make online only stuff, the stuff they carry online is same as in stores. although the stores are limited in size, and carry only a fraction of the stuff.

The basics are made in USA, whereas the seasonal stuff is often made in Italy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads