• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me decide between two boots.

dziner82

Reaction score
red wings are $100 cheaper and look alot better in my opinion, end of discussion.

DouggiePhresh

Reaction score
Why do people insist on buying their Red Wings online?

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Red Wings are great, I'm pretty sure you'd be happy with them, but I'll throw a dissent out there and say the Limmers look damn good too.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DouggiePhresh
Why do people insist on buying their Red Wings online?
Not everyone lives in a city with a variety of redwing styles. Kind of the same reason most of this board buys clothes/shoes online. I'd definitely go with the RW unless you're actually going to be hiking or something similar.

Concepts_BLC

Reaction score
Both boots look great, but for the price you cant beat Red Wings. They are the best value as far as quality, comfort, and look go in my opinion.

cmrocks

Reaction score
I was actually just about to make a post about the Red Wing Gentleman Traveller boots. I'll just post here instead. I've been looking pretty hard at these boots.

Are they acceptable to wear in situations that aren't completely casual? For example, would it be okay to pair them with cotton pants (5 pocket style) and a tucked in oxford shirt? I'm sure these boots would be great with jeans and a sweater or something but I'm hoping I can get away with using them in slightly more dressy situations as well.

I have a pair of Frye boots right now but they are a leather sole (which sucks in the winter or when it's raining) and they are just a bit too dressy to wear with jeans I find. I'm also not a huge fan of the toe shape either. I want to replace them with something a bit more casual and rugged. This is where I think the Red Wings fit in.

Thanks

naaaaate

Reaction score
Originally Posted by upnorth
They seem to be well received inspite of the lack of width selections.

You normal footed guys don't know how much it hurts to look at some of these shoes that don't come in sizes that accommodate EEEEEEEEEEEEE sized feet
frown.gif

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
not sure how much hiking/backpacking you'll be doing but if it's anything fairly heavy duty, my vote goes to the Limmer's. actually my vote would really go toward getting your feet down to your local outdoor retailer and trying on a bunch of boots.

when your feet are blistering and in pain, it won't matter how good your boots look.

-Jeff

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, I'd definitely go with the RWs as well.

41uAGiNpmYL._SS400_.jpg

These are actually a pretty cool looking RW boot they have on amazon, one of the better ST boots I've seen.

alleyooptroop

Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
Yeah, I'd definitely go with the RWs as well.

41uAGiNpmYL._SS400_.jpg

These are actually a pretty cool looking RW boot they have on amazon, one of the better ST boots I've seen.

damn. these are nice. link?

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The red wings are more aesthetically pleasing. In my option the second opinion is absolutely gross.

I own a pair of GTs and they are really a great looking, comfortable, and bulletproof boot. The only reason why I would not recommend them for hiking is because the tread on the sole is not that deep if that makes any sense. If you are doing some serious hiking go with a serious hiking boots. If you are walking you dog through the woods in your backyard then go with the Red wings. They really are amazing boots. Just let them break in first before you judge them.

Saltwater Wrangler

Reaction score
I had no idea people on the board liked Redwings so much. For looks, I prefer Justins boots, but as far as work boots go, you can't beat RW. Like said earlier, their staff in stores are very knowledge and helpful when it comes to picking out insoles, accessories, etc. depending upon what you'll be using them for. Mine have endured 7 years and still look great.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics