• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me decide: Barbour vs Ralph Lauren

agavilanes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi:

Help me to decide between these 2 jackets:

1) BARBOUR LIDDESDALE

barbour.jpg

2) Ralph Lauren Quilted Barn Jacket

rl.jpg

Both are in the same price range and the style is pretty similar.

Comments on quality? fit? features?

Thks SF

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by agavilanes
Hi:

Help me to decide between these 2 jackets:

1) BARBOUR LIDDESDALE

barbour.jpg

2) Ralph Lauren Quilted Barn Jacket

rl.jpg

Both are in the same price range and the style is pretty similar.

Comments on quality? fit? features?

Thks SF

Barbour

Sebastian

Reaction score

dbtbandit67

Reaction score
to be honest with you, i am not a fan of either jacket. but considering the options, i will go with the first one. it has a collar, the lack of collar on the RL makes it look weird. plus the barbour is a better color. this is a bit out there for a Ralph Lauren piece, his stuff is usually more conservative. in general, i am a fan of Ralph Lauren

Chouse

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dbtbandit67
to be honest with you, i am not a fan of either jacket. but considering the options, i will go with the first one. it has a collar, the lack of collar on the RL makes it look weird. plus the barbour is a better color. this is a bit out there for a Ralph Lauren piece, his stuff is usually more conservative. in general, i am a fan of Ralph Lauren

Barbour going by looks and quality. But I'd go with the one that fits you best.

izlat

Reaction score
I don't like either but would prefer the Barbour if I were forced t wear one

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chouse
Barbour going by looks and quality. But I'd go with the one that fits you best.

What makes you think Barbour has better quality? As far a I know most of the Barbour jackets are not made in the UK anymore.

Between been make in HK/China (RL) or made in some former Eastern European countries (Barbour), I'd say it's a toss up.

DandySF

Reaction score
Ralph has been knocking off Barbour for a few years. Go with Barbour, the original.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I own the Liddesdale & it is a great lightweight jacket. The collar is a bit large but that can be fixed.

Make sure you try it on for fit before buying it. I like the fact that it is a slim cut & doesn't bell out at the bottom.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On second thought, I would probably do the Classic Eskdale, which is basically the Liddesdale in microfiber with a tartan lining.

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The RL is 30% off the sale price.

bjm

Reaction score
I have the barbour in green. Its looks alot classier and more traditional than the RL. Only thing that bothers me is that everyone theses days has a Barbour and you see them everyehwre at least here in NYC. A bit like Burberry was a few years ago, I think Barbour has been overexposed to the masses.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads