• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me decide - Alfred Sargent or Romano Martegani

gregaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What the title says - Alfred Sargent or Romano Martegani. I can have either shoe for about the same price (sub-$200). Which should I choose and why?

Thanks!

as.jpg

VS

Marte.jpg

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I prefer the look of the Sargent's but I've no idea of the relative quality.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just bought those Sargents from the same seller as a replacement for my Barney's brown plain caps. Waiting for them to arrive.

The Deacon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the RM will age better. They also have a dinstinctive look in a positive way. The Sargents could be mistaken for a number of lesser sellers if that means anything to you.

koolhistorian

Reaction score
Both of them very good - got the Sargent's and wait for the RM.
In my experience, the AS will look dull out of the box, so take the time and give them a good treatment before the first wear - conditioner (with my experience with the seller he deals in dead stock, so the leather might be in need of TLC), cream and then a shine - the result is spectacular, really.
With the RM, there is more umph in the shoe, as you will expect from an Italian shoe = the last is more modern, the leather is more flexible, etc. Both shoes are a very good bang for the buck! so go for them, both if you have the money!

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
um, are you going to tell us where to get those Marteganis for under $200?

my vote goes to that one
drool.gif

Michael69

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gregaz
What the title says - Alfred Sargent or Romano Martegani. I can have either shoe for about the same price (sub-$200). Which should I choose and why?

Thanks!

as.jpg

VS

Marte.jpg

I have these exact same Sargents - I love them!

dopamine

Reaction score
I prefer the look of the Sargents in this case. The curves look better
smile.gif

gregaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, everybody, it appears that the votes are pretty even here. My problem is that both are the same style - or else the solution would be buying both. But, I don't really need two pairs of brown captoes ...

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gregaz
Thanks, everybody, it appears that the votes are pretty even here. My problem is that both are the same style - or else the solution would be buying both. But, I don't really need two pairs of brown captoes ...

The AS's look too plain choclate to me, if that matters.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 37.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 84 38.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.3%

Forum statistics

Threads