1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Help me date these shell cordovan Florsheim Imperial longwings

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by larrywright, Mar 28, 2013.

1. larrywright

larrywright Member

I picked up a pair of "vintage" Florsheim Imperial longwings in burgundy shell cordovan off of eBay last week. I love the shoes, but I'm curious how old they are. I've done a little searching, but I can't find anything of use. The soles appear to be original, and they're in (I think) very good condition, so it doesn't seem like they're *that* old. Does anyone know how to tell?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

Early 1990's would be my guess. Welcome to Styleforum Larry, and congratulations on your purchase. Enjoy them in good health.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  3. WhateverYouLike

WhateverYouLike Senior member

This is what happens when you pass gay marriage. People start dating shoes.

1 person likes this.
  4. MyOtherLife

What does this mean and who was it intended for?

5. SpiffEngineer

SpiffEngineer Senior member

I believe it was an extension of the slippery slope argument used against gay marriage, used in a reducio ad absurdum fashion for comedic effect. I am not sure the comment was intended to increase the value of the discourse here.

Ironically, I think that other (non-gay marriage related) federal laws are at play here. The government's restrictions on horse slaughter probably drive up the price of cordovan, thereby inducing many to purchase "vintage" cordovan footwear.

6. MyOtherLife

I have so much to learn about the corelation between the dating of old Florsheims-Gay marriage, but I can assure you there is no real shortage of shell cordo. The horses are simply shipped to Canada for slaughter, then the hides are shipped back as product although I am uncertain as to where the meat is shipped.

7. larrywright

larrywright Member

Sweden, apparently. IKEA sells a lot of those meatballs...

In all seriousness though, thanks for the help. That was my guess as well, since I knew they moved manufacturing offshore in the early 90s.

8. MyOtherLife

They moved production to India in 1996. The first year or two (1996-1998) in India maintained quality but after 1998 it started to slide.
    This is not including the 'Duckie Brown' line, which is (arguably) as high in quality as Florsheim shoes ever were. I myself do not own any Duckie Brown Florsheims but many on here do. There are a few threads on that if you want to search for them.

9. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

Don't quit ur day job!

10. mjd

mjd Senior member

I hate to hijack this thread a bit but any idea if these might be shell cordovan? Thanks very much.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. MyOtherLife

12. mjd

mjd Senior member

Okay thanks for the heads up, they will make good beater loafers around the house.

13. Win545

Win545 Senior member

Just picked up the florsheim shell longwing from ebay too.
    How could you polish the shoes until they shine beautifully like that?

14. KMPO

KMPO New Member

Just wondering, how much were you able to pick up your shell florsheims for?

And congratulations, those shoes are in extremely well condition!