• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

help me create a dish

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tench
Celery is unneccesary for a mirepoix

lolwut. No, that's incorrect. By definition, celery is a part of mirepoix. Whether you value the flavor it adds or whether you use it or not is your own personal choice.

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i read a recipe which said you can substitute it for something else celery like (celeraic perhaps?)

edit: never mind, just read they are the same plant.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Celery is unneccesary for a mirepoix

Typically it is the carrot that is substituted... turnips or mushrooms in a white sauce.. peppers of some kind in west indies cooking.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
somebody wrote a book about this several years ago. their idea was exploring different cuisines by their "holy trinity". french is onion, carrot, celery; spanish is garlic, tomato, pepper, italian is onion, garlic, tomato, chinese is green onion, garlic, ginger (all of these are from my increasingly shaky memory). it's an interesting conceit though i'm not sure how well it holds up to close examination. in Spanish, the mirepoix equivalent is sofrito (and in italian it's soffrito).
you can omit celery in mirepoix if you want, but technically it's no longer a mirepoix ... which doesn't mean it's bad.

Tench

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
lolwut. No, that's incorrect. By definition, celery is a part of mirepoix. Whether you value the flavor it adds or whether you use it or not is your own personal choice.

lolwut yourself. I am surprised you have so little knowledge about your stock in trade. I said "celery is uneccesary" which is correct. Have a look at Gouffe's book (heard of him?) - no celery. Celery was not a common component of mirepoix until the 1970s. Celery is common but not "by definition, part of mirepoix".

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
lolwut yourself. I am surprised you have so little knowledge about your stock in trade. I said "celery is uneccesary" which is correct. Have a look at Gouffe's book (heard of him?) - no celery. Celery was not a common component of mirepoix until the 1970s. Celery is common but not "by definition, part of mirepoix".

Run that by Escoffier.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
You, sir, are silly. And these three geniuses are correct:
Originally Posted by foodguy
you can omit celery in mirepoix if you want, but technically it's no longer a mirepoix ... which doesn't mean it's bad.

Originally Posted by kwilkinson

Originally Posted by iammatt
Run that by Escoffier.

Tench

Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Run that by Escoffier.

Perhaps I should have said it was not common in published recipes before the 1970s.

I have already conceded that celery is common. One recipe for mirepoix from a recognized authority on french cuisine is all I require to show that celery is unecessary.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

wtf are you talking about? Do you know who Escoffier is? Do you know when he wrote his book?

God even Julia Child's book would tell you you're wrong and that predates 1970.

Tench

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
wtf are you talking about? Do you know who Escoffier is? Do you know when he wrote his book?

God even Julia Child's book would tell you you're wrong and that predates 1970.

Here's a hint, Einstein: when you appeal to authority make sure you know what the authority says

Originally Posted by Auguste Escoffier
Pour la Mirepoix: - 50 grammes de carottes, 50 grammes d'oignon, un fragment de thym et de laurier; 3 queues de persil; une petite cuilleree de cognac flambÃ
00a9.png
; 2 dÃ
00a9.png
cilitres de vin blanc

See any celery in that recipe? BTW Gouffe's recipe is almost identical.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Here's a hint, Einstein: when you appeal to authority make sure you know what the authority says

See any celery in that recipe? BTW Gouffe's recipe is almost identical.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Keller does not use celery in his stocks or sauces. All the other French and Frog-inspired sources I have do.

I nearly always use it but my ratio is more like 1:1:.5 onion:carrot:celery.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads