help me computer experts :(

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Teger, Mar 9, 2011.

1. Teger

Teger Senior member

for some reason I just can no longer connect to certain websites.

this includes:

www.jcrew.com
    www.twitter.com

just comes up as cannot connect

i also cannot click on links on sf.

ive tried resetting cache, using a different browser and resetting safari - nothing works. any ideas?

2. alliswell

alliswell Senior member

PC or Mac?

3. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

generally I restart the computer and cycle the power on the modem at that point.

4. Teger

Teger Senior member

mac. i have firefox, safari and chrome. same issue with all browsers. also occurs regardless of what network im connected to

5. intent

intent Senior member

Hosts file?

6. dennis1024

dennis1024 Member

Might be aproblem with your Domain Name Server(DNS), can you open the twitter site by using the server IP-adress below?
    http://199.59.148.82/

7. codetomorrow

codetomorrow Active Member

You can consider me the resident Mac expert on SF. Call me 916-273-9665.

8. Teger

Teger Senior member

Might be aproblem with your Domain Name Server(DNS), can you open the twitter site by using the server IP-adress below? http://199.59.148.82/
    nope, this is what I get: Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at go.redirectingat.com. when clicking on it (part of the problem) if I copy and paste it I geT; Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at 199.59.148.82.

9. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

Are you behind any kind of corporate or academic firewall? Such as school, college or company? If so, could be the sysadmin as screwed up with the filtering.

10. Teger

Teger Senior member

nope. this happens regardless of what network im on - school wireless or home wireless.

11. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

Are you behind any kind of corporate or academic firewall? Such as school, college or company? If so, could be the sysadmin as screwed up with the filtering.
    BTW with http://199.59.148.82/ I can access Twitter just fine, something which is normally banned here in China. So now I can tell the whole world what I'm having for breakfast.

12. dennis1024

dennis1024 Member

Sounds like you are partly disconected from the Internet, it could be an error higher up in the hiearcy that affects both networks.

You could try to type the following command in the Terminal tool(it is located in Applications->Utilies->Terminal):

Code:
    traceroute www.twitter.com

The command will now output a list of addresses that is on your route to the twitter-server. Since you are having trouble connecting to twitter the command will probably stop printing adresses at some point, and start writing things like
    Code:

1 * * *
    2 * *traceroute: sendto: No route to host
    The command can be interrupted by pressing ctrl-c

If you run the command on both networks and the last printed address are the same in both cases, it's probably as I described above.

13. Teger

Teger Senior member

this is what I get: traceroute: Warning: www.twitter.com has multiple addresses; using 199.59.148.10 traceroute to twitter.com (199.59.148.10), 64 hops max, 40 byte packets traceroute: sendto: No route to host 1 traceroute: wrote twitter.com 40 chars, ret=-1 *traceroute: sendto: No route to host traceroute: wrote twitter.com 40 chars, ret=-1 *traceroute: sendto: No route to host traceroute: wrote twitter.com 40 chars, ret=-1 * traceroute: sendto: No route to host 2 traceroute: wrote twitter.com 40 chars, ret=-1 ^C can't check the other cause im at home. what can i do?

14. dennis1024

dennis1024 Member

There's probably not much you can do about it other than wait for it to start working again, it's probably beyond your control. Maybe you could call some kind of technical support?

You might be able to access the sites indirectly by using a proxy-service, like the site:

http://www.webproxy.ca/

Just type in th adress in the textfield on the site(this is normaly used as an anonymizing service).

15. Fraiche

Fraiche Senior member