• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help Me Complete a Clark Kent Costume

animeman05

Reaction score
OK so I am planning to dress as Clark Kent for Halloween, as I have an uncanny resemblance to the character. I am trying to build this costume on the cheap because I know I am going to be wasted and have a high potential of damaging any clothes I may be wearing. Here is my plan: wear a pair of Ray Ban Wayfarers, probably a waistcoat unbuttoned revealing a superman t-shirt , shirt also unbuttoned, tie, and maybe a white pocket square.

However, I have a few questions for SF. Specifically, what type of hat is Kent wearing in this image:
Zack-CK02.jpg

Also, if you know any other cheap ways to complete this look or a place to buy a cheap waistcoat I would be very appreciative.

Thanks in advance.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like a felt fedora with a smallish brim.

gregor

Reaction score
Maybe you need some Kent Wang, you can't spell Clark Kent without it.

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why are you wearing sunglasses, again?

Bull

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

SuitMyself

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mmadha

OK so I am planning to dress as Clark Kent for Halloween, as I have an uncanny resemblance to the character. I am trying to build this costume on the cheap because I know I am going to be wasted and have a high potential of damaging any clothes I may be wearing. Here is my plan: wear a pair of Ray Ban Wayfarers, probably a waistcoat unbuttoned revealing a superman t-shirt , shirt also unbuttoned, tie, and maybe a white pocket square.

However, I have a few questions for SF. Specifically, what type of hat is Kent wearing in this image:
Zack-CK02.jpg

Also, if you know any other cheap ways to complete this look or a place to buy a cheap waistcoat I would be very appreciative.

Thanks in advance.

mmadha, are you Brandon Routh?? How's unemployment these days??

Are you saying you look like the comic book Superman or are you saying you look like Christopher Reeve in his portrayal of Clark Kent? There's quite a difference there.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

However, I have a few questions for SF. Specifically, what type of hat is Kent wearing in this image: .

Fairly standard late 50s/Early 60s moderately stingy mid gray fur felt fedora. Probably about 20-80 dollars on ebay depending on your size, the quality of the hat, and the quality of the pics.

http://cgi.ebay.com/vtg-BOWLER-FEDOR...item53d86d63b4

http://cgi.ebay.com/Grey-Flechet-Fed...item2eb06bec49

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Dobbs-Gr...item53e4184b9b

When you do get a hat, realize you may need to re-crease it to match. Don't worry, that's easy enough. Wet a towel and set it on the outside of the hat for a while. Take it off, and use your hands to form it to the shape you want.

Also, the photo has him wearing the hat on the higher side- so if in doubt of your (numbered) hat size, go smaller.

Such hats are also widely available in cheaper (and inferior) wool felt all over the place.

Also, a waistcoat would look nothing like the character. Clark Kent wears a nondescript 2 piece navy suit. No vest. Try a thrift store and see if you can find a crappy (emphasis on that- leave the nice stuff for the people looking for serious clothes) blue suit and use that. Shirt too- button down collar, conservative solid. White, light blue. Boring tie. Wear the t shirt underneath with the buttons that would be over the logo undone.

As for the glasses, sunglasses would look really awkward with the character. Even costume glasses would serve that better. You want something more like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/1950-Nerd-Glasse...item8e07030c11

The clear lenses rather then shaded ones will be really important to the look. They were to make him look like a nondescript average guy, not like the guy who has the eye condition that makes him wear sunglasses 24/7.

animeman05

Reaction score
The clear lenses rather then shaded ones will be really important to the look. They were to make him look like a nondescript average guy, not like the guy who has the eye condition that makes him wear sunglasses 24/7.
I should have specified when I stating I am wearing Wayfarers that I was referring to a clear lens prescription model not the sunglasses.

dasai

Reaction score
A fairly high-brimmed felt fedora and a double-breasted suit with wide-ish lapels would not be out of place, all things considered. Superman started back in the 1930s, and you can basically get away with the business-style of any era up to the '60s or so and have people recognize what you're going for. Just don't forget the dorky glasses, or they might think you're after a "mobster" look instead.
plain.gif

SuitMyself

Reaction score

Zack-CK02.jpg

Thanks in advance.

How about this?

hello-kitty-superman-pink.jpg

thomas230

Reaction score
I found a very cool website at the related link. They sell all kinds of costume accessories. You can search what you want and design the costume, and also, this website can stimulate your imagination. Good luck! cheap costumes

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
foo.gif
Crap, necrobump spam.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads