• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help Me Commission a Midnight Blue Suit

S. Able

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Concordia
For year-round softer cloth, the Lesser 9.5/10 Super 120s book is nice. Won't stand up to punishment as well as the regular books (or Harrisons Frontier, which has some nice patterns). But a little dressier if that is desired.

FWIW, Joe Centofanti will charge around $3600 for a two piece in this cloth.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
The wholesale US price of Lesser 120s is more than 2x the price of the regular cloth. For my money, it's not 2x better. The regular cloth is awesome and I am completely happy with it.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't realize it was so expensive! I just have a few swatches here with numbers and weight on them but no prices. This one looked pretty nice - but I agree I wouldn't pay a large premium over the 13 oz HL (which is already pretty pricey)

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
I didn't realize it was so expensive! I just have a few swatches here with numbers and weight on them but no prices. This one looked pretty nice - but I agree I wouldn't pay a large premium over the 13 oz HL (which is already pretty pricey)

The upside is, if you have your heart set on Supers, it is hands down the best Supers on the market. You do get what you pay for in that respect.

If I were going to pay through the nose, however, I would get Golden Bale. And I am too cheap to do that.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by J. Cogburn
Really. But feel free to talk me out of it. Why not go this route?

I can't put my finger on it. When I think three piece I just don't associate it with sharkskin, at least in the form I know it (ie - with a considerable amount of sheen).

Why not just a light gray worsted in the same weight?

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whnay.
I can't put my finger on it. When I think three piece I just don't associate it with sharkskin, at least in the form I know it (ie - with a considerable amount of sheen). Why not just a light gray worsted in the same weight?
What do you actually think sharkskin is?

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by George
What do you actually think sharkskin is?

I'll try to find a picture of it.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Many sharkskins (particularly with mohair content) have an unattractive sheen to it - I think I know what whnay. is talking about. Some look more rough and have no sheen (I think that Harrison is an example of that).

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Greg has it right as far as I think about it:

53018293.jpg

joe_pesci.jpg

I like the idea if its toned down without any mohair.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll try to find a picture of it.
Sharkskin or to give it, it's more correct name, pick and pick is made by using two different coloured threads in the warp and weft, this gives the cloth a variegated effect (a laddered effect which shows up best on light greys) If it all wool, any sheen will be function of how the cloth has been finished, it isn't a given. I've seen pick and picks that are as 'dry' as a bone for example. Here is a mid grey Minnis
0631.jpg
A blue Harrisons
3616796338_7a8b24a7af.jpg
I think your iBuddies Maffoo and Iammatt have suits made up out of the Harrisons Mid grey sharkskin. I do also. Maybe Iammatt will repost it.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Greg has it right as far as I think about it:
53018293.jpg
joe_pesci.jpg

God know's what that suit Beckham is wearing is made out of That suit of Tommy's looks to be silk not mohair.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score

This Steed number is in a Lesser charcoal all wool sharkskin that's matte rather than with a sheen:

- B

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Many sharkskins (particularly with mohair content) have an unattractive sheen to it - I think I know what whnay. is talking about. Some look more rough and have no sheen (I think that Harrison is an example of that).
That type of Mohair cloth was known as two tone, 'shot' mohair or iridescent. It is woven in a similar way to that that creates the variegated effect in pick and pick. However, the sheen or lustre is a function of the mohair content not the weave. That's the important point. Some Tonik mohairs had this effect but not all. You'd be hard pressed to find them these days (thank god some would say). Today, they tend to create the effect by adding synthetic fibres, which looks ****. (The Beckham above?) Proper shot mohair is quite subtle and can be very beautiful. But is rare, as the main weaver of it no longer weaves.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
This Steed number is in a Lesser charcoal all wool sharkskin that's matte rather than with a sheen: - B
I'm getting quite attached to that tower in the background. Is it a folly or something?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by George
I'm getting quite attached to that tower in the background. Is it a folly or something?

Among other things, it stored gunpowder used to shoot Britons and Hessians in the War of Independence. It was built in 1703-04, which is fairly old for standing structures around here (the oldest ones are early 1600s.)

George Washington ordered Henry Knox to bring artillery captured from your ancestors at Ticonderoga into this area for the siege of Boston. Munitions for that were stored here and elsewhere. Eventually, Knox managed to emplace the artillery on Dorchester Heights, forcing your guy William Howe to withdraw.

This ushered in a golden age of pants with little to no break, martini drinking, penny loafers with no socks, and in due course, the invention of the Internet and high definition television.

- B

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads