• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me choose which black tie combination to go with!

nurium

Reaction score
Have an office black tie dinner to go to tomorrow night and am trying to decide whether to go with the traditional bow tie or very contemporary long tie + d&g tie bar look. My jacket is notched so already quite contemporary.

Am pretty positive I know which you'll all go for but I ask you to approach this with an open mind and consider the fact that I'm young (23) and believe I can pull off the long tie look as well.

If you do choose the bow tie option, could you give any pointers as to when/what kind of event I could possibly pull off the other look?

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The bow tie.

The long tie looks some kind of gayish because of the bar.

NMW1982

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Golf_Nerd
The bow tie.

The long tie looks some kind of gayish because of the bar.

Your face looks kind of gayish.

Toorman

Reaction score
I have been sporting the long time as I find it more contemporary and I think I look better that way. I have also noticed that the vast majority of attendees at these events are also sporting the long tie these days.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Long tie with a tux is an amateur mistake. It does not look contemporary. It looks like you have no idea what you're doing.

If you want to wear a long tie, wear a suit and forget the tux. If you want to wear a tux, then wear one. That includes a bow tie. Always. No exceptions.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
Long tie with a tux is an amateur mistake. It does not look contemporary. It looks like you have no idea what you're doing.

If you want to wear a long tie, wear a suit and forget the tux. If you want to wear a tux, then wear one. That includes a bow tie. Always. No exceptions.

Well said!

David V

Reaction score
I can't beleive that men are still asking this question.

jagmqt

Reaction score
I thought the "rule" was tuxedo/bow tie, black suit/long tie?

jag

mishon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go with a bow tie but also get a shirt with a tighter collar.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jagmqt
I thought the "rule" was tuxedo/bow tie, black suit/long tie? jag
Well, he hasn't specified whether he's wearing a black suit or a tuxedo, so naturally we assume he's wearing a tuxedo (albeit a notch lapel one). If he's wearing a black suit then since he's supposed to be wearing black tie that's also completely wrong.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
Well, he hasn't specified whether he's wearing a black suit or a tuxedo, so naturally we assume he's wearing a tuxedo (albeit a notch lapel one). If he's wearing a black suit then since he's supposed to be wearing black tie that's also completely wrong.

Pictures show a tuxedo (satin lapels).

jagmqt

Reaction score

Thanks...I guess my post was a little unclear, but you confirmed what I wasn't saying (but was trying to say)...

Let me try again..
Black tie, is tuxedo, is bow tie
Formal, is black suit (as an option) and is long tie
Is that right?
"Creative Black Tie"...does that still exist?

jag

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks...I guess my post was a little unclear, but you confirmed what I wasn't saying (but was trying to say)...

Let me try again..
Is that right?"Creative Black Tie"...does that still exist?

jag

Eh...not really.

See here for answers to all questions: www.blacktieguide.com

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Let me try again..
Is that right?
"Creative Black Tie"...does that still exist?

jag

Ah, I didn't notice the pictures for some reason. You're half right in that you can infer that a bow tie should be worn from the fact that he is wearing a tuxedo. You're half wrong in the fact that, as 'Mark from Plano' points out, a black suit is still not 'black tie', and as such the black suit and long tie combination would still be (technically) inappropriate for this particular event (though that doesn't necessarily mean there won't be anyone there wearing it).

jagmqt

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
Eh...not really.

See here for answers to all questions: www.blacktieguide.com

Great link...thanks!

Ah, I didn't notice the pictures for some reason. You're half right in that you can infer that a bow tie should be worn from the fact that he is wearing a tuxedo. You're half wrong in the fact that, as 'Mark from Plano' points out, a black suit is still not 'black tie', and as such the black suit and long tie combination would still be (technically) inappropriate for this particular event (though that doesn't necessarily mean there won't be anyone there wearing it).

I didn't pay attention to the lapels...but can see the satin indicating a tux.

The "contemporary black tie" I guess was where I was assuming a long tie would be appropriate...but the link was very helpful in answering my questions...

jag

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads