• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me choose shirting

Kei-bon

Reaction score
"O Elders, fleet and strong and wise ..."

Have an appt coming up with MyTailor, my first go at order-made shirts. I want to order button-downs in some semi-solids (fine stripe, small check). I want a fabric a bit less stiff than oxford cloth (I have several OCBDs) but still with some body (nothing too "silky"). Thomas Mason twills for example: would that suit? I'd appreciate any advice on the best or most appropriate material for this sort of shirt. Thanks in advance!

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sebastian Melmoth
two ply royal oxford
TM royal oxfords tend to be very fine and silky. Hell, most TM fabrics tend to be. But I don't think you're going to get enough beefiness for a classic button-down in TM's royal oxford. I would ask Joe (or whoever measures you at the appountment) for recommendations in a pinpoint oxford, be it TM or otherwise. I realize you don't want something as thick as a traditional oxford cloth, but trust me when I say that TM royal oxford won't be ideal for this task. See what they come up with. Twill might get you a bit closer to what you want in terms of hand. But it's not usually associated with button-downs, and it can wear pretty hot.

Kei-bon

Reaction score
thanks for the advice, guys. I don't really like the look or the feel of royal oxford, but i will definitely consider the pinpoint oxfords.

and thanks for the note on twill, AB; i was wondering just that--whether it was an odd choice for BD shirts.

one more thing: are there limits on the sort of patterns traditionally made up with a BD collar? i'm not planning anything outre--maybe tattersall or gingham check. forgive me if this is a silly question!

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kei-bon
thanks for the advice, guys. I don't really like the look or the feel of royal oxford, but i will definitely consider the pinpoint oxfords.

and thanks for the note on twill, AB; i was wondering just that--whether it was an odd choice for BD shirts.

one more thing: are there limits on the sort of patterns traditionally made up with a BD collar? i'm not planning anything outre--maybe tattersall or gingham check. forgive me if this is a silly question!

Tattersal and gingham are wholly appropriate for BD shirts. In fact, there are some who would go so far as to say that gingham or tattersal should only be made into BDs, being somewhat casual patterns when compared to most.

Your only limits for BD shirts are the fabric selection and your imagination. MyTailor stocks a pretty extensive book of fabrics, so I am sure you will find some choices in it that you like. As for what is "traditional," it really depends on the type of shirt you mean. If you are looking to classic American OCBDs as your inspiration, I'd say that the staples are white, light blue, pink, and occasionally (though rarer these days than in recent decades) light yellow. Blue stripes are also pretty traditional here.

Kei-bon

Reaction score
Arrogant Bastard;3518370 said:
Tattersal and gingham are wholly appropriate for BD shirts. In fact, there are some who would go so far as to say that gingham or tattersal should only be made into BDs, being somewhat casual patterns when compared to most.
QUOTE]

Thanks again, AB; just what i wanted to hear. after browsing their webpage, i've got a list of about 30 checks i like. must. exercise. self-control.

and thanks for the info on poplin, abner.

LanceW

Reaction score
I too find TM twill to be very warm. When I order shirts from MyTailor I specify:

Extra thick buttons.
Hand stitched shoulders.
Split mitered yoke.
Add extra button/button hole to bottom of shirt.
Pocket on right side, opposite from normal. (left handed)

Kei-bon

Reaction score
Lance, thanks for the suggestions. I'm lefthanded too, and i had never thought about pocket placement, but now you've got me thinking.

Can you tell me why a split mitered yoke is better?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A split yoke is only better if it is cut on the bias, which for most checks and stripes is sideways. The bias has natural stretch so when it is in the shoulder area it is more comfortable and provides a lot of natural give. One piece straight or sideways yokes are very restrictive even with any pleating.

+1 on Pinpoint

Odd I/O

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LanceW
I too find TM twill to be very warm. When I order shirts from MyTailor I specify:

Extra thick buttons.
Hand stitched shoulders.
Split mitered yoke.
Add extra button/button hole to bottom of shirt.
Pocket on right side, opposite from normal. (left handed)

Lance, are the extra thick buttons Mother of Pearl? When I had my appointment with the MyTailor representative recently he indicated that the thicker buttons were not mother of pearl.

How much extra were the hand stitched shoulder option?

And what is the purpose of the extra button? Just more buttons?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads