• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me choose my new suit ...

Tibo

Reaction score
Time goes by and I feel like ordering a new suit at my regular, yet decent MTM tailor (there's no problem about bespoke, only its price).

I work in a conservative business environment where I wear suits every day and where a relaxed outfit is a blazer, a shirt without tie and grey flannel trousers (Fridays only).

So far, I own the following suits and I'm just wondering what you would find an appropriate fabric for my new suit:

- Medium gray end-on-end
- Dark gray herringbone
- Navy with a light blue pinstripe
- Charcoal gray with a red chalk stripe
- Somewhat more heavy charcoal gray flannel (winter only)

I'm hesitating and considering several options. I thought I'd go for a charcoal grey with medium chalk stripe, but now I'm thinking about a dark gray suit in a slightly different fabric (no precise idea yet).

What would you consider ? I'm open to suggestions, but I'm ruling out plaids and checks, and I mostly wear blue (often striped) shirts.

Any ideas, suggestions, etc. more than welcome ! Look forward to hearing from you ...

johnnynorman

Reaction score
a dark grey with chalk stripe is a great option. But I also would suggest that you rethink ruling out plaids and/or windowpanes. A dark grey with a very faint windowpane (shade of blue, light grey, or rust) is unique and subtle. You could also do a prince of wales with a more robust overpane (such as burgundy or red). Both patterns go great with small scale check, solid, and stripe shirts, and can take a variety of ties.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anybody there wear dark brown or olive?

Bradude

Reaction score
A brown or olive suit?! Can you say tacky? Stick with classic colours. It seems you're missing an all-black suit.

PITAronin

Reaction score
Call me dull and old-fashioned but, for a conservative buiness environment, it just seems odd, given your list of suits, that you've avoided acquiring a standard solid navy suit to this point. Would certainly be my choice.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bradude
A brown or olive suit?! Can you say tacky? Stick with classic colours. It seems you're missing an all-black suit.
lookaround.gif

Uh oh
deadhorse-a.gif

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PITAronin
Call me dull and old-fashioned but, for a conservative buiness environment, it just seems odd, given your list of suits, that you've avoided acquiring a standard solid navy suit to this point. Would certainly be my choice.

I second this. Your wardrobe is already heavy on the grays. I'd go for something navy--solid, birdseye,...

Tibo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thinman
I second this. Your wardrobe is already heavy on the grays. I'd go for something navy--solid, birdseye,...

Yeah, I guess you're right, but I find it difficult to find a nice navy fabric+ I'm not fully satisfied with any shoe combination: black looks dull and I'm not fond of the bown/navy combination either (as opposed to a lot of the board's members, I've been able to assess)

+ Navy is (I think) incredibly less popular in continental Europe than it is in the US or the UK

But the idea is interesting ... Any ideas on a nice navy fabric ?

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
I'm a fan of birdseye ever since I saw some CT suits made with it. I'd go with that.

A Londoner

Reaction score
So much a matter of personal preference. But you have 2 stripes already. I'd be inclined to look for something which had some texture and colour variation other than a stripe, like a birdseye, a sharkskin, a subtle windowpane or a dark Prince of Wales check.

Tibo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Londoner
So much a matter of personal preference. But you have 2 stripes already. I'd be inclined to look for something which had some texture and colour variation other than a stripe, like a birdseye, a sharkskin, a subtle windowpane or a dark Prince of Wales check.

Yes, that's exactly what I was thinking of. Any idea where I could find good images of birdseye or sharkskin fabrics, before I ask to my tailor ?
Thanks for your help

A Londoner

Reaction score
There are pictures of both a grey birdseye and a grey sharkskin in this set of samples at Holland & Sherry. They are not all that easy to see, but the best I could find in a short time.

You really need to see these cloths (I mean the type, not H&S's though I expect they're lovely) and feel them: the effect is subtle and a picture does not do them justice, they have ... depth. Your tailor will have samples, I'm sure. I have suits in a navy birdseye and a mid-grey sharkskin, and both get lots of wear.

Tibo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Londoner
There are pictures of both a grey birdseye and a grey sharkskin in this set of samples at Holland & Sherry. They are not all that easy to see, but the best I could find in a short time.

You really need to see these cloths (I mean the type, not H&S's though I expect they're lovely) and feel them: the effect is subtle and a picture does not do them justice, they have ... depth. Your tailor will have samples, I'm sure. I have suits in a navy birdseye and a mid-grey sharkskin, and both get lots of wear.

I think birdseye is what I called "end-on-end" in my first post, so I have a medium-grey sharkskin suit and it's definitely my favourite one as well (very versatile). Birdseye seems nice, I definitely have to see with my tailor what he proposes.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mensimageconsultant.com
Does anybody there wear dark brown or olive?

Actually, it's funny that you mentioned that as I really, really love a dark brown with white chalkstripe suit that Larry Kudlow wears on his show. He is a great dresser with great style but I am not sure that I can pull it off. My fabric purveyor has this same fabric in and I am severely tempted. Also, the last Menswear mag (and the first Mens Vogue) had a guy wearing a YSL or Gucci suit which seemed to be light brown melange with some rust windowpane's or something. The fabric looked amazing and I would definitely wear a suit in that fabric.

Olive is a non starter for me.

P.S. non of the aforementioned suits are ones that I would wear in a conservative business environment. Well, maybe the brown/white chalkstripe. Damnit Larry, you're gonna make me do it!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads