• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me choose my first pair of Allen Edmonds

araziza

Reaction score
I've always bought relatively cheap shoes in the past and just thrown them away after a year or two, but in the past year or two I've made a concerted effort to do research and buy good quality items that will last.
A pair of good shoes have been on my to do list, and as per everything I've read, Allen edmonds is the way to go for genuinely well made long lasting shoes at an entry level (price wise).
As per dappered, the best value in shoes today is the AE Factory 2nds sale, which is running now. I've found a few in my price range to consider, most notably the 3 following:

1) Dundee- I love the look of chukkas, and affordable AE chukkas are definitely up there. My only worry with these is that anything I buy must be summer appropriate (Not like hiking in the midday heat summer, just not having sweaty feet in the office summer, which apparently my timberland boots could not fulfill). Also slightly worried that the poron soles won't mold to my feet like regular soles would.

2) Boone- not as nice a shape as chukkas, but a very attractive plain shoe that should be good for summer and any other time of year as long as it's not out in the elements (true of all the shoes on this list). Trying to decide between the more practical brown or the nicer-but-easily-ruined sand color.

3) Strandmok- Not quite as attracted to these as the previous two, but people seem to really like them and the patterning seems a bit funkier. Not sure if they're my style, but they look nice.

Help and insight appreciated, especially from people with any of the above models.

ThomGault

Reaction score
Where do you plan to wear them, and what do you plan to wear with them?

araziza

Reaction score
Pretty much everywhere, except formal events. Likely wear dark jeans and a polo or t shirt

ThomGault

Reaction score
'Everywhere' doesn't explain much. Work? Social events? Church? Bars? Outdoor activities?

Will you literally always wear them with dark jeans? That affects the choice, too.

The only realistic solution is to buy a few pairs to compliment different activities and outfits, not to mention the fact that you shouldn't wear the same pair of shoes every day, either.

araziza

Reaction score
Work, bars, social events, taking kids to the park. Basically daily drivers that don't do formal events or sports.

facet

Reaction score
Well, that's a pretty wide variety of activities. I guess if I had to choose one, it'd be the Boone; but I also wouldn't make it my only shoe

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It amounts to what you like the look of and also fits your feet - the latter being most important.

If they fit properly, buy the chukkas, you do not say where you live - Alaska is somewhat different to California, but if you work in an air conditioned office nine out ten people would not experience any problem.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Don't forget to look on eBay. Used AEs can go for remarkably cheap prices, especially considering how long they last. Even if you get them redrafted you're often coming out of it spending less than even factory seconds.

araziza

Reaction score
Thanks to all who posted, I had to jump on a pair before the end of the sale, and I went for the blue Dundee 2.0 (got them for $137US, a relative steal). Now for the waiting game.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads