1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Help me choose first C&J shoe?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dg626, Feb 9, 2013.

Which Shoe?

1. Westfield - Dark Brown Burnished Calf

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
  2. Westbourne - Chestnut Burnished Calf

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
  3. Malton - Chestnut Burnished Calf

5 vote(s)
    45.5%
  1. dg626

dg626 Member

Hi everyone,

First time poster on this forum. I've been wanting to purchase C&J shoes, and originally had my mind firmly set on the Selborne (was about to order it too) until after reading old threads I realised that the medallion is a bit suggestive..

Anyways, now I am having trouble choosing between the following:

- Westfield - Dark Brown Burnished Calf (http://www.crockettandjones.com/Product/Westfield-Darkbrown#.URZP1qV33ww)
    - Westbourne - Chestnut Burnished Calf http://www.crockettandjones.com/Product/Westbourne-Chestnut#.URZP2aV33ww)
    - Malton - Chestnut Burnished Calf (http://www.crockettandjones.com/Product/Malton-Chestnut#.URZP2qV33ww)

If it this was your first C&J shoe, and your prermier brown shoe in your rotation, which would you choose? Please note, I won't be wearing these with a suit, but with trousers (most likely gray).

If you have any pictures and if you can upload that will be greatly appreciated, it's hard to get an idea from stock photos.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  2. upr_crust

upr_crust Senior member

An interesting range of choice. Were you to have said that you wanted to wear the shoe with suits, I would have suggested the Westfield, as the darker color would be more universal. As it is, I tried to buy the Westbourne last November, but C & J didn't have one in stock in my size, so I ended up with the Malton, which I do not regret.

Enjoy whichever shoe you choose.

3. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member

Have you tried any of them on? As those are 3 different lasts, you could always pick the last that fits the best.

4. upr_crust

upr_crust Senior member

As requested. my Maltons "in the wild", as it were . . .

[​IMG]

5. Mr Engineer

Mr Engineer Senior member

I plan on buying my first pair of C&J shoes sometime this spring. I plan on getting these Selbournes

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

I would go with either the Westfield or the Westbourne. The Westfield is a darker color which is generally better with suits, but the Westbourne is a more formal style absent the color. I think both would be lovely but will cast my vote for the Westbourne.

Completely agree here. The shoe needs to fit.

7. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I like the Westfield for shape (I own it in suede) and the Malton for color. As said above, go with the one that fits the best. They are all handsome shoes.

8. sportin_life

sportin_life Senior member

Definitely check out the lasts in store if possible prior to buying. I grabbed the Westbournes a while back from Barney's and the last, although beautiful, is simply too long/sleek for my foot (compared to AE, Alden or RL branded C&J).

9. AlexE

AlexE Senior member

As the others said "fit comes first". Also it is worth to look at the shoes in a store since photos can misrepresent shoe colors.

The Westbourne is beautiful, but I would go for chestnut only if I already have a good pair of dark brown shoes.

BTW: Nothing wrong about the medallion of the Selbourne

10. dg626

dg626 Member

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  11. dg626

dg626 Member

@upr_crust, thank you very much for posting a photo of your Maltons. The shoes are very beautiful!

I have narrowed it down Maltons (slight preference) and Westfield for now. Westbourne is a beautiful shoe, but because of the last (long from what I gather), I think it's probably best if I try it on first. There is a chance I'll head to UK later on in the year, so will leave the possible purchase of Westbourne till then. So on that front, any big colour/tone differences between Chestnut Antique Calf (Malton) and Chestnut Burnished Calf (Westbourne). If there isn't, then like AlexE suggested, it's probably best to buy Westfield in Dark Brown.

Between Malton's and Westfield, any comments on fit?
    I saw this in another forum: Narrow 341 (Westfield) < 236 < 318 < 360 (Malton)

Thanks again!