• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me choose between 2 bags

gkl

Reaction score
Hello!

I posted this as a tiny side question in the small question thread but unfortunately the problem got larger than I initially thought - I can't choose the right bag!
frown.gif

I have 2 choices - Filson Medium Field Bag (232) or Filson Small Carry-On Bag (240). Colour will be tan because it gives these bags such a nice safari/19th century adventurer in Africa or India feel. Should age nicely as well.
I'll be using these mostly in college (at the moment at least) to carry books, notebooks and some other assorted stuff. A laptop isn't planned, yet.

So the question is, what are your thoughts on this? Which one do you prefer? Personally I prefer the medium field bag a liiiitle bit more because of its proportions but I'm afraid it could be too small. My only requirement - the bag must fit books/notebooks/paper in A4 size.

Also, does anybody of you own one (or both) of those bags? Would it be possible for you to share some fit pictures?

Cheers!
gkl

WhoKnewI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get the small carry on. I think the field bag might be a bit small if you do end up carrying a laptop. I had the medium field bag and ended up returning it because it was a bit too small. I also like the zipper on the small carry on.

jsg28

Reaction score
I just purchased the large briefcase 257 dyed in brown from Jean Shop in NYC. It is awesome! I recommend that you call those guys as they do custom washes and dye jobs on all Filson luggage.

Notreknip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jsg28
I just purchased the large briefcase 257 dyed in brown from Jean Shop in NYC. It is awesome! I recommend that you call those guys as they do custom washes and dye jobs on all Filson luggage.

Very cool. Take a photo of that for us!

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
How much stuff do you plan on carrying? I just picked up the Original (smallest) briefcase, and it'll hold a ton of stuff.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally, I think the carry on is a bit too large while still not being able to hold a decent sized laptop because of the rounded corners.

gkl

Reaction score
@jsg28
Cool! Post some pictures

@Teger
If 1st year was of any indication, I don't really need a lot of stuff. Who knows about 2nd...

Actually, I'm more and more considering medium field bag, small carry-on might be too large. A4 size stuff question is still open though. Also, I assume that if not filled up enough both bags will just dangle down like a slab of sturdy canvas, right? They don't seem to be "reinforced" on the corners.
Does the medium field bag fit a 13'' laptop? If I'd get one (probably never blegh) then only with this screen size.

WhoKnewI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't try putting my macbook in there, but i don't think it would have fit. Also, the bag has no padding so you would need to put your laptop in a sleeve which the bag probably would not be able to accommodate.

korce

Reaction score
A 13" macbook and sleeve should fit into a small carry on, but I don't know about the medium field bag. It would probably be a tight squeeze. I managed to fit my 15" macbook pro and sleeve into a small carry on, but it took up most of the bag. I ended getting a 257 and really like it, though it is a bit on the large size for everyday use. I use it pretty much every weekday for work/school, and as a weekend bag in the summer because it is so stuffable, which is a nice advantage.

Personally - I like the look of the medium field bag better than the small carry on. BUT if I were you, I'd seriously consider looking at the original (smallest size) briefcase. It's designed to be used for business/school, so it would probably work best for carrying textbooks, A4 paper, etc., and I believe it has some organization slots for a pen, calculator, etc. You could probably fit a 13" macbook in there too if need be, though I haven't tested it. It doesn't look huge from the outside, but I bet it's quite stuffable.

P.S. Make sure you buy from forum affiliate Crane's Country Store and use discount code "Insane" at checkout to get 30% off!!!

mikeman

Reaction score
I recently bought the small carry on to use for school.I tested it out and it fits a good amount of books and notebooks.Also,it fits my brothers macbook pro,tight but it fits.Quaulity of the bag is amazing and Cranes has awesome service,not to mention great prices.

Here a link to my pictures
http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...postcount=4883

gkl

Reaction score
@korce
I guess that would be the most logical choice but it looks a little bit too serious and mature for my liking.

@mikeman
thanks for the pictures!

Does anybody know if Filson measurements are for the inside or outside?

mikeman

Reaction score
Well heres the requested pic of me wearing my bag(sorry for pad pics)

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by korce
A 13" macbook and sleeve should fit into a small carry on, but I don't know about the medium field bag. It would probably be a tight squeeze. I managed to fit my 15" macbook pro and sleeve into a small carry on, but it took up most of the bag. I ended getting a 257 and really like it, though it is a bit on the large size for everyday use. I use it pretty much every weekday for work/school, and as a weekend bag in the summer because it is so stuffable, which is a nice advantage.

Personally - I like the look of the medium field bag better than the small carry on. BUT if I were you, I'd seriously consider looking at the original (smallest size) briefcase. It's designed to be used for business/school, so it would probably work best for carrying textbooks, A4 paper, etc., and I believe it has some organization slots for a pen, calculator, etc. You could probably fit a 13" macbook in there too if need be, though I haven't tested it. It doesn't look huge from the outside, but I bet it's quite stuffable.

P.S. Make sure you buy from forum affiliate Crane's Country Store and use discount code "Insane" at checkout to get 30% off!!!

Ah thanks man! I'm getting a Macbook really soon, and I been looking around for a bag; for school.

gkl

Reaction score
@mikeman
thank you for the picture!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads