1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Help me choose an IWC

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by pabloj, Jun 25, 2009.

1. Szeph el raton

Szeph el raton Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    The IWC Ingenieur is a lovely watch. Perhaps one day I'll buy that one, too. [​IMG]

2. mafoofan

mafoofan Well-Known Member

Another point that often isn't considered is the size. As much as I'd have loved the 5001 it's really big, so people should settle for something that is beautiful when they wear it, not only when they look at it lying on the table. I've settled for the 3714 therefore.

So for gods sake, go try it on before you buy it.

This is true, but the 5001 isn't much bigger than the 3717 and wears smaller in my opinion. I think it helps that it's a far dressier watch.

3. Fritz

Fritz Well-Known Member

The pictures above should answer the question.

OK, thanks. Looks are somewhat subjective, so given the unanimous hate I thought it might be something more esoteric, like subpar movement finish.

4. mafoofan

OK, thanks. Looks are somewhat subjective, so given the unanimous hate I thought it might be something more esoteric, like subpar movement finish.

The Spitfire design was a pointed attempt to make the classic pilot watch more attractive to people who would otherwise buy a Rolex, Omega, or Tag. So, it's glitzier, but less legible, less functional, and less classic. The whole point of a pilot watch is to be stark, graphic, and easy-to-read at a moment's notice--after all, combat pilots wore these things. That's what IWC's original Mark XI did so well; unlike the classic Mark XII and XV designs, the Spitfire bares virtually no resemblance to it.

So, that's why a lot of watch people hate the Spitfire.

5. mafoofan

To illustrate the point:

IWC Mark XI (manufactured from the late 1940's through the early 1980's; primary wristwatch of the British RAF)
    [​IMG]

IWC Mark XII
    [​IMG]

IWC Mark XV
    [​IMG]

IWC Mark XV Spitfire
    [​IMG]

6. doctorfeelyg

doctorfeelyg Member

7. Hard2Fit

Hard2Fit Well-Known Member

man, that mechaquartz just looks bad.

+1.
    I don't know much about watches but all four of those look terrible.

8. Hard2Fit

Hard2Fit Well-Known Member

The IWC Ingenieur is a lovely watch. Perhaps one day I'll buy that one, too. [​IMG]

Best of those (pics) posted so far.

9. Fritz

Fritz Well-Known Member

Thank you Mafoofan, that makes sense to me.

10. centrix

centrix Well-Known Member

Get a 3705, the ceramic version of 3706. It is so hard, it breaks up concrete [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

gah if i could find one i would