• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me choose a summer blucher

Loose On The Lead

Reaction score
I need some help deciding on a pair of bluchers for the summer because (a) I don't see well and (b) one of the models I'm considering is a split-toe, and I'm just not used to that look. I'm not saying I want to avoid it, but it's hard for me to judge...um, as if I do a good job of judging any shoe.
smile.gif

I'm looking for a shoe to wear with a summer blazer with either light gray tropical wool pants or khakis, and probably an open-collared OCBD. Of course, I can mix and match, but if simplicity helps, just keep those in mind. So...something in tan, perhaps? Also, I've just discovered that AE's new #8 last might work for me, which is a mild revelation, given my high instep. That narrows the list of possibilities considerably.

AE Belmont (tan)

AE Clifton (chestnut)

I am not absolutely wedded to these shoes or AE generally, but I've already tried them on and they seem to fit well.

As an aside, I wouldn't mind a recommendation for a belt (with a nickel or otherwise silverish buckle) to wear with the same outfits and shoes. I guess that one easy solution would be to buy a belt from AE in the same color as the shoes, but I'm clueless about belt styles.

Thanks! I know the temptation is sometimes to say, "Get what you want," but when you can't really see the shoes very well, figuring out what you want can be difficult.

jeff in vancouver

Reaction score
I like the Clifton in chestnut. I am wearing an AE chestnut Oxford's and Chestnut belt right now, and I love the colour of them (the AE web page doe snot do it justice).

I just bought 4 AE belts (The basic dress wide and a twin stich) all for $40 off ebay - you can't beat that price. The sellers name is rcpbelts3irf. He siad he has more and will be lisitn gthem again in a few weeks

Loose On The Lead

Reaction score
Thanks, Jeff.

I'm a bit concerned that the Cliftons, even in chestnut, might be a bit too dressy for chinos. Not sure if wearing a blazer changes that equation.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Have you considered Alden's bluchers? They have some nice looking ones on the Plaza last now, such as the 2816's in tan.

alden_bluchers_plaza.jpg

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jeff in vancouver
I like the Clifton in chestnut. I am wearing an AE chestnut Oxford's and Chestnut belt right now, and I love the colour of them (the AE web page doe snot do it justice).

I just bought 4 AE belts (The basic dress wide and a twin stich) all for $40 off ebay - you can't beat that price. The sellers name is rcpbelts3irf. He siad he has more and will be lisitn gthem again in a few weeks

I just messaged this seller, he will sell you them now, he has a ton of belts, in every color/size!
I am getting a chili and black belt from him for only $86 shipped!

Mildly Consumptive

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Loose On The Lead
I am not absolutely wedded to these shoes or AE generally, but I've already tried them on and they seem to fit well.

Personally, I don't care for either of the ones you posted. Have you considered the Lambert?

4248.jpg

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the Belmont, then the Clifton. But seriously, get what you want. And then buy some more. I've got a ridiculous number of shoes, and I'm still getting more.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find the Belmont considerably sportier and probably more harmonious with your chosen attire than the Clifton. I believe the Lambert in Chili just went on closeout status. Thus it can be had a good deal more cheaply than the others mentioned, and for that reason alone it would be my choice.

The new #8 last was specifically designed for men with high insteps, by the way.

Loose On The Lead

Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
Have you considered Alden's bluchers? They have some nice looking ones on the Plaza last now, such as the 2816's in tan.
I haven't tried anything on the Plaza, but I suspect it wouldn't fit well. The Copley works for me, but hardly anything is made on it. The Barrie will slide onto just about anyone's foot, but I"m guessing you wouldn't prefer that over the AEs.

RichmondStyle

Reaction score
I just started wearing the Belmont and get a ridiculous numberr of compliments on them. They're also the most comfortable AE's I've ever worn. I picked mine up brand new first quality on ebay for $129

jeff in vancouver

Reaction score
Originally Posted by constant struggle
I just messaged this seller, he will sell you them now, he has a ton of belts, in every color/size!
I am getting a chili and black belt from him for only $86 shipped!

Say thanks????

Loose On The Lead

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mildly Consumptive
Personally, I don't care for either of the ones you posted. Have you considered the Lambert?
Thanks, but I'm looking specifically for something in a tan-like shade. I already have a pair of AEs in chili, although I will grant you that the Lamberts are nicer.

Loose On The Lead

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
I find the Belmont considerably sportier and probably more harmonious with your chosen attire than the Clifton. I believe the Lambert in Chili just went on closeout status. Thus it can be had a good deal more cheaply than the others mentioned, and for that reason alone it would be my choice.

The new #8 last was specifically designed for men with high insteps, by the way.

Okay, okay, I'll see if the Shoe Bank has the Lambert in my size.
smile.gif
(I've been instructed elsewhere that I must look for the Colton, as well.) But it's still not what I was looking for in my original post.

Interesting about the #8 last. Makes sense. I was surprised by how well it seemed to fit, although I still needed an E width despite being a D on the Brannock device. I know that Brannock readings don't necessarily tell you much about how a given shoe will fit, but I'm under the impression that AE typically runs fairly true to size and width.

Mildly Consumptive

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Loose On The Lead
Thanks, but I'm looking specifically for something in a tan-like shade. I already have a pair of AEs in chili, although I will grant you that the Lamberts are nicer.

In that case, I prefer the Cliftons.

3338.jpg

There's something about the toe seams on the Belmont I don't like.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads