Help me choose a special pair of Edward Green shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by thinman, May 3, 2006.

1. sysdoc

sysdoc Senior member

2. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

I like Sysdoc's initial recommendation of the Dover or Ashby/Yardley (what's the difference between these two?) in antique Edwardian. In fact, that's the shoe I'll get if I can ever justify laying out that kind of dough. I wouldn't let the relative commonness of the 606 last put you off if that's the last you like. It's not like you'll be running into guys wearing Dover's every day.

3. sysdoc

sysdoc Senior member

Dover or Ashby/Yardley (what's the difference between these two?)
    [​IMG]
    Very good point!

4. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

I think Ashby is the one to have if you can only have one or the other. Can be "dressed up or down," as people like to say.

5. Virginia Dandy

Virginia Dandy Senior member

Another vote for the Ecton in edwardian - wearing mine today, in fact.
    [​IMG]

6. tattersall

tattersall Senior member

If Hilary refuses (she probably will, the design has been killed and Hilary can be a bit school marm-ish), we'll get pages over pages how the machinations of capitalism are contraire to the needs of the true shoe aficionado etc. etc. (Please, not again!!!)

After all, I could not persuade Hilary to make up a pair of "Herricks" (a design EG had decided not to produce any longer due to technical difficulties). I had to get those boots second-hand from Japan.

That settles it - my next order will be Herrick in stag suede [​IMG]

7. thinman

thinman Senior member

Thanks for all the feedback. I've been traveling, so I'm online intermittently and couldn't respond earlier.

Thanks for reminding me about another consideration--buying one of EG's signature shoes. Both the Dover and the Ashby have the skin-stitched split toe and so they should display EG's signature style. I wasn't familiar with the Ecton, so I appreciate seeing the picture. I already own a brown and a black monkstrap, but I don't own anything with a split toe, so the Dover or Ecton would add more diversity to my shoe collection than another monkstrap would. I'm only in San Diego temporarily and I'll be moving back to the Midwest at the end of the year, so I would get significant use from a pair of boots.

As for color, I agree that dark oak is too dark and I don't think it shows the famous EG antiquing to full effect. I've never seen antique burgundy, but from the comments I read here, it is apparently also too dark to display the antiquing fully. I'm not sure how I feel about the lighter shades of brown like Edwardian or especially acorn. I don't own any tan shoes, so something in a lighter shade would add something new to my collection. How does the Edwardian or acorn compliment jeans?

The selection of a particular last seems to depend on how well a particular last fits the foot, as well as the styling. I have Timeless_Riders pictures of the various EG lasts saved on my hard drive and I like the look of the 606 and I also like the 888, which I have seen in person. It seems from the pictures, though, that the 606 is narrower than most of the others, including the 888. I tried on a Mackay (888 last) and it was a little snug near the seam for the toe cap, so I'm not sure the 888 or the 606 would be a good fit (although I really like the look of both). I've also tried on a monkstrap on the 89 last and it was a little large. Hilary will send several shoes for me to try on, but I would appreciate any wisdom that forum members might have about the fit of the various EG lasts.

Finally, it seems I would have a shoe of maximum versatility if it had a Dainite sole, or one of the equivalents, so I could wear the shoe on ice in winter. Is there any particular advantage to Dainite vs. Ridgway vs. Medway(is this what the 3rd option is called? I don't have my EG catalog with me) soles?

Thanks again for all the help and advice.

8. thinman

thinman Senior member

I might also mention that I own a pair of John Lobb Perriers on the 8695 last and they are probably the most comfortable shoes I own. Does EG have a last that is shaped similarly to Lobb's 8695 last?

9. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

202, I would think.

10. Virginia Dandy

Virginia Dandy Senior member

I'd disagree that the 606 is more narrow looking than the 888 - quite the opposite. The 888 is also more aggressively squared - but certainly does not stray into KC territory.

Susie sagely advised me that the 808 is a more shallow fitting last than the 888 (similar looks - the 808 was the precursor to the 888). I have a low instep, and the 808 does seem to fit me better than the 888.

11. sysdoc

sysdoc Senior member

I'd disagree that the 606 is more narrow looking than the 888 - quite the opposite. The 888 is also more aggressively squared - but certainly does not stray into KC territory.
    Seconded!

12. sysdoc

sysdoc Senior member

How does the Edwardian or acorn compliment jeans?
    I think that EG's Edwardian Antique or Acorn Antique are the best colors to wear with jeans. The depth of these two shades of brown plus the antiquing looks stunning with jeans, particularly with those that have orange stitching.
    Go for EG's "Thames" sole. It's EG's thinnest rubber sole and can almost not be spotted as such.

13. thinman

thinman Senior member

I based my earlier post regarding the 606 vs. 888 on this picture. To me the 606 looks slimmer than the 888 here, but maybe that's because it tapers less toward the toe(?):

[​IMG]

Does this picture give a more accurate representation of the 606?

[​IMG]

The 808 might not work for me, since my orthotics give me a high instep.

14. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

15. thinman

thinman Senior member