• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me Choose a Savile Row Tailor

Panzeraxe II

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
That was because I have to pay VAT.

I realize that, but the OP was asking for tailors within his budget. Warning him that Norton is 3K (i.e. over his stated budget of 2.8K) isn't helpful, when he very clearly resides in the U.S.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Panzeraxe II
I realize that, but the OP was asking for tailors within his budget. Warning him that Norton is 3K (i.e. over his stated budget of 2.8K) isn't helpful, when he very clearly resides in the U.S.

I didn't pay attention to the VAT issue...

Sorry I'm so used to paying it I don't pay attention to it at all..

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Why not try A&S for one suit and choose one of the several traveling tailors from Italy for the other?

Would make for good fodder for discussion here.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
Why not try A&S for one suit and choose one of the several traveling tailors from Italy for the other?

Wasn't, "Traveling tailors of the Midwest," a Playboy feature recently?

I remember a ton of Breanish draped naughtily,

- B

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Wasn't, "Traveling Amish tailors of the Midwest," a Playboy feature recently? I remember a ton of Breanish draped naughtily, - B
FTFY. You are guaranteed the most hand work.

Grammaton Cleric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos

Its a good idea in theory, but the dynamic duo from Naples have been working on my first suit for over an year. I don't expect to receive it before 2013 (if I'm lucky)

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Grammaton Cleric
Its a good idea in theory, but the dynamic duo from Naples have been working on my first suit for over an year. I don't expect to receive it before 2013 (if I'm lucky)

If you require 3 fittings and use a traveling tailor, how can the wait be avoided?

Initial meeting, 6 months, first fitting, 6 months, second fitting, 6 months, third fitting, 6 months, finished, 6 months, back for an adjustment. With three yearly visits, change the 6 to 4.

So much can happen to both parties involved over such a lengthy transaction.

Grammaton Cleric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm well aware of the timing involved with using a traveling tailor. But other tailors don't cancel visits, reschedule without informing their clients, never respond to emails, never keep to an agreed upon schedule etc.

Bit too much 'excitement' for moi.

Duncan

Reaction score
First post from me, but as I'm on my seventh bespoke suit to date I'm a little versed in some of the above.

I'm perplexed with the obsession with Saville Row, if I'm honest. I've worked in London my entire career, and my first three bespokes were from that hallowed lane. Financial circumstances drove me out of London for number four, and in many ways I'm glad I did; as I've not been back to Saville Row since.

Whilst the quality of SR is undeniable (indeed suit #2 is still going strong 7 years later, albeit relegated to 'kicking around the office on a Friday' duties), I often found the whole experience lacking in some area or another.

I found that looking outside Saville Row, and indeed out of London and to it's surrounding environs yielded a better experience at a far better price (approx 1/3) - in every case delivered by a former Saville Row tailor.

I understand that bespoke suits are a uniquely personal journey for all of us (perhaps more so than anything else one can do as a man), but I think it's worth stressing that British Tailoring does extend past either end of Saville Row.

Incidentally, my relationship with my current tailor is such that I just ordered two shirts from him this afternoon, and left the fabric choices to him. Something I never managed to achieve in either Saville Row or Jermyn Street.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Duncan
First post from me, but as I'm on my seventh bespoke suit to date I'm a little versed in some of the above. I'm perplexed with the obsession with Saville Row, if I'm honest. I've worked in London my entire career, and my first three bespokes were from that hallowed lane. Financial circumstances drove me out of London for number four, and in many ways I'm glad I did; as I've not been back to Saville Row since. Whilst the quality of SR is undeniable (indeed suit #2 is still going strong 7 years later, albeit relegated to 'kicking around the office on a Friday' duties), I often found the whole experience lacking in some area or another. I found that looking outside Saville Row, and indeed out of London and to it's surrounding environs yielded a better experience at a far better price (approx 1/3) - in every case delivered by a former Saville Row tailor. I understand that bespoke suits are a uniquely personal journey for all of us (perhaps more so than anything else one can do as a man), but I think it's worth stressing that British Tailoring does extend past either end of Saville Row. Incidentally, my relationship with my current tailor is such that I just ordered two shirts from him this afternoon, and left the fabric choices to him. Something I never managed to achieve in either Saville Row or Jermyn Street.
What have you found lacking about the experience?

Duncan

Reaction score
All sorts - from a lack of communication, not getting what I'd ordered, questionable workmanship, being dealt with in a perfunctory manner (a big no-no given the money in question), and indeed one who produced a made-to-measure rather than bespoke and got extremely defensive when I gently questioned him about it.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All sorts - from a lack of communication, not getting what I'd ordered, questionable workmanship, being dealt with in a perfunctory manner (a big no-no given the money in question), and indeed one who produced a made-to-measure rather than bespoke and got extremely defensive when I gently questioned him about it.
Well. I have friends who've had less than stellar results from some of the Row's finest, they've also had some great stuff too. The perfunctory manner is sadly par for the course amongst many 'luxury' goods manufacturers in my experience, especially here in England.

kraftar

Reaction score
I found that looking outside Saville Row, and indeed out of London and to it's surrounding environs yielded a better experience at a far better price (approx 1/3) - in every case delivered by a former Saville Row tailor.

I understand that bespoke suits are a uniquely personal journey for all of us (perhaps more so than anything else one can do as a man), but I think it's worth stressing that British Tailoring does extend past either end of Saville Row.

Incidentally, my relationship with my current tailor is such that I just ordered two shirts from him this afternoon, and left the fabric choices to him. Something I never managed to achieve in either Saville Row or Jermyn Street.

For the benefit of the OP and any UK residents, some recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads