• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me choose a safety razor and accessories!

Clyde099

Reaction score
So I'm looking to try shaving with a safety razor.
A lot of your recommend getting a Merkur HD with some Feather blades.
However, I'd also like to get a brush, shaving cream, after-shave, etc.

I currently only shave once a week since I feel like shaving everyday, with the razor I have now, would be rather painful. I also rarely have ingrowns and what-not.

So can any of you recommend me a gift set, or compile a list of different products I can purchase to make this transition (at reasonable prices).

Please and thank you!
bigstar[1].gif

Theory

Reaction score
The merkur will suit you fine.. I use the same one.

I also recommend the razor-burn set that Art of Shaving still makes a package for I believe. Comes w/ a preshave oil, cream, aftershave lotion as well as a nightly balm that'll help with your ingrowns.

FlyingLotus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For starting off I'd go with Merkur or Derby blades, I haven't tried Feather blades yet but have heard they are extremely sharp. I'm somewhat new with my DE razor, and find Merkur blades forgiving enough to learn on without any nicks.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently got into safety razors and went with the HD. I had been somewhat inclined to go with something with a longer handle, but having used it I'm happy I listened to everyone else and chose the HD.

As far as brushes, the best badger brush at crabtree & evelyn is often recommended as an excellent bargain, and as a bonus it's on sale now for $28: http://store.crabtree-evelyn.com/acc130291.html

I ordered my HD from westcoastshaving.com as they have some nice blade sampler packs. So far I like the Dorco best, but I haven't tried Feather. Merkur was the first thing I tried, so it's tough for me to give a good opinion there. I hated the Derby. As I said though, I'm new to this, so take my comments with a grain of salt.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Merkur HD and Crabtree & Evelyn brush are good for a starting point. The C&E creams and soaps have also been satisfactory, but if you can wait, I'd check out Colleen's soaps at The Gentleman's Quarter (website comes up on google search). Colleen's pleasant to deal with and offers a sampler pack for soaps and creams so you're not stuck with something that doesn't work for you.
Also recommend Proraso cream and soap, Prep soap, Pre de Povence hard soap, Provence Sante hard soap, and the eShave soaps.

Berticus

Reaction score
I'm more of a straight razor kind of person, but I did look into the safety razors a while back. Murker HD with feather blades was my choice as well. I was going to use it in my traveling grooming kit, but it's not allowed according to the TSA list. For shaving soap, you can't go wrong with the 3 T's, that is Trumpers, Taylor of Old Bond Street, and Truefitt&Hill. For shaving cream, Prosaro, Ingrams, and Musgo Real. However, don't be afraid to deviate from these brands. I don't have any personal experience with those brands except Ingrams and Musgo Real. I go to Colleen at the Gentlemen's Quarter. She has great shaving soaps, and I wouldn't mind trying her shaving creams either. Mama Bear at bear-haven also makes excellent products. Some other brands I've considered trying include Art of Shaving, Nancy Boy, Crabtree & Evelyn, and a few other brands that are less heard of. As for aftershaves, I currently use Truefitt&Hill 1805. It's ok, could be better I think. I have a list on my main computer (500 or so miles away). When I get back I'll share what I plan to be my new lineup. An alum block, at least I think, is also quite essential. But that may be more of a straight razor thing than a double edge safety razor thing. Also, I believe if you e-mail some of the higher end brands, such as T&H, they'll send you a sample pack. When I buy things from NB, they always give me a sample of something of my choice, T&H sent me a sample pack containing cologne decants, their after shave and ultimate shaving cream when I requested it. You can check out this thread for badger brushes: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=94257

stripec30

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Clyde099
So I'm looking to try shaving with a safety razor.
A lot of your recommend getting a Merkur HD with some Feather blades.

I haven't tried the HD yet despite it's number of glowing reviews--I use a an older Fat Boy as a primary choice. You may want to check out some type of 'blade sampler' like the ones dridiot offers (eBay #250343354229).

Originally Posted by dcg
As far as brushes, the best badger brush at crabtree & evelyn is often recommended as an excellent bargain, and as a bonus it's on sale now for $28: http://store.crabtree-evelyn.com/acc130291.html

+1

BTW: Besides SF threads a great resource is BadgerandBlade.com, specifically the review section: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=37

indy116

Reaction score
HD + Derby + C&E BBB + C&E cream + Aqua Velva for aftershave!
bounce2.gif

That'd put you off on the right foot.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
DONT USE A FEATHER ON YOUR FIRST DE RAZOR. I have used feathers and before I knew it I was nicked all over my face, and I had already been using a DE razor for like 6 months. You will need to develop a solid technique and should use a more forgiving blade like a derby. Derby's are great blades and you can yield some great with them. It wouldnt be a bad idea to pick up a sample set of blades and see which blades suit you best.

All you really need to get started is a Murker HD, a badger hair brush, and a good cream. You can get a decent badger hair brush for around $30 and it will last you the rest of your life. For my first cream anything from Art of Shaving is pretty solid and is easily accessible.

Mr T

Reaction score
Some good advice so far but I want to add to your list the greatest of all shave soaps - Tabac.

Good luck.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of vintage Gillette adjustable safety razors. They're especially handy when using a DE razor for the first time. I started on 9, now I'm down to 5 as I've gotten the hang of it and want a closer shave.

pscolari

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked up a Merkur 34c and a razor sample pack from westcoastshaving about two months ago. For cream I just finished a tub of Trumper's Rose and recently replaced it with Taylor's Mr. Taylor. Maybe in the near future I will get a nicer brush, I currently have an Omega basic. I think if you are looking to pick up a brush as well I would drop the $35 for a C&E Edwin Jagger best badger to start.

Bill Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been using a mid 1960's Gillette Slim Adjustable safety razor since March with Derby blades and I am a really happy lad. My main go to shaving soaps a Crabtree and Evelyn Sienna with their post shave balm in the same scent and Mama Bear's Old Spice scent glycerin shaving soap with Old Spice original scent aftershave.

The secret is the shaving brush and I love the Edwin Jagger Best Badger I got through Crabtree and Evelyn.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads