1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Help me choose a color for a MTM shetland sweater

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by chasingred, Nov 18, 2010.

1. chasingred

chasingred Senior member

I'm getting a MTM shetland sweater made by Spirit of Shetland. Out of the hundreds of shetland yarns they can knit this thing out of, I've narrowed it down to two - Rye and Storm.

I can't decide between the two, so I'd like to throw it to the forum. Whichever one gets the most votes will be the one I put an order in for.

Use your power wisely.

Also, if it helps, here are the pants I have: grey cotton and wool trous (various shades, light to mid-grey), charcoal moleskins, dark brown cords, navy cotton trous, dark jeans, and khaki chinos.

[​IMG]

2. EBugatti

EBugatti Senior member

I'm assuming "rye" is the cream color (not the gray) on the left.

3. dunga

dunga Senior member

storm is tres kewl

4. njeremy

njeremy Member

I like rye.

Can you give any more details about this? I don't see a MTM option on their website. How does it work?

5. chasingred

chasingred Senior member

Yes, Rye is the cream color with grey and yellow flecks.

The MTM option is on the website. Just go through the options. You have to email them about it, however. In the end, you email them the measurements of the sweater you want, the color of yarn you'd like, and they'll make it for you.

Any other votes?

6. james_timothy

james_timothy Senior member

Not that it's helpful to you, but Oxford.

I liked the Rye till I saw how yellow it is, then I went looking for a different rye-like color, and finally decided on the Oxford black.

7. chasingred

chasingred Senior member

Not that it's helpful to you, but Oxford.

I liked the Rye till I saw how yellow it is, then I went looking for a different rye-like color, and finally decided on the Oxford black.

So have you ordered from Spirit of Shetland? How do you like the final product?

Picking a single color out of hundreds is seriously a chore.

8. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

The Rye is nice, but the Storm is awesome.

9. RSS

RSS Senior member

I like both ... get both. Heck ... get two of each.

10. james_timothy

james_timothy Senior member

So have you ordered from Spirit of Shetland? How do you like the final product?

No, I've just been thinking about it since last winter. I'll order now, just as soon as I finish reading 10,000 SF threads about... important things.

I'm with RSS's idea of ordering lots, but I was going to do it one at time until I figure out the measurements. There's at least one other thread about Spirit of Shetland here; I've been dawdling ever since that thread.

Picking a single color out of hundreds is seriously a chore.

And the sweater might not look like the swatch. Actually, the whole process is like bespoke write very very small. Microscopic.

11. RSS

RSS Senior member

the whole process is like bespoke write very very small.
    Given my more casual style these days ... perhaps the Shetland should should become my new bespoke ... or rather demi-bespoke.

12. chasingred

chasingred Senior member

I'm with RSS's idea of ordering lots, but I was going to do it one at time until I figure out the measurements. There's at least one other thread about Spirit of Shetland here; I've been dawdling ever since that thread.

I'm actually surprised how few Spirit of Shetland threads are on here, to be honest. The offer seems amazing. $100, shipping included, for a sweater in almost any color you want, with real Scottish shetland wool, and in any odd size you want.

I found two fit pics of previous customers' orders. Both seem really happy, but only one seemed to fit well. I think I'm going to order one, see how it turns out, and then decide if I want another. At this point, however, I'm kind of up to my ears in sweaters. Might be time to pull back a little on this sweater obsession.

Or move to Alaska.

13. bluemagic

bluemagic Senior member

What is the non-MTM sizing like?

14. Petrus1

Petrus1 Senior member

I'm getting a MTM shetland sweater made by Spirit of Shetland. Out of the hundreds of shetland yarns they can knit this thing out of, I've narrowed it down to two - Rye and Storm.

I can't decide between the two, so I'd like to throw it to the forum. Whichever one gets the most votes will be the one I put an order in for.

Use your power wisely.

Also, if it helps, here are the pants I have: grey cotton and wool trous (various shades, light to mid-grey), charcoal moleskins, dark brown cords, navy cotton trous, dark jeans, and khaki chinos.

[​IMG]

They're $87 apiece, buy them both.

15. bluemagic

bluemagic Senior member

Hmm, I'm still not finding the "MTM Link" on the website. Are you just saying that "any details you'd like" means MTM?

16. chasingred

chasingred Senior member

What is the non-MTM sizing like?

I don't remember exactly, but I think it was just a touch slimmer than Christian Scott, which was (and maybe still is) selling shetland sweaters for like 50 bucks. The sizing for Christian Scott is:

XL:- 116cms chest, 70cms neck to end of arm cuff, 62cms bottom of back collar to bottom hem.

Med:- 104cms Chest, 67cms neck to end of arm cuff, 61cms bottom of back collar to bottom hem

Small: Chest 100cms, upper arm 70cms (neck to cuff), back of neck to bottom of hem 60cms

If Scott fits you, you could just go with that, but the colors are kind of boring.

17. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

18. chasingred

chasingred Senior member

Hmm, I'm still not finding the "MTM Link" on the website. Are you just saying that "any details you'd like" means MTM?
    You have to message them. Barbara will email you back. The website is designed poorly, but it's definitely made to measure. You can also specify things like slimmer sleeves, tighter rib on the hem, etc. It's pretty customizable. Here is the email: info@shetland-knitwear.com

19. Nosu3

Nosu3 Senior member

They aren't doing any more customs until after the holidays.

20. chasingred

chasingred Senior member

^ Damn it. I should have pulled the trigger sooner.

I suppose that gives me more time to decide on a color.

Anyone want to weigh on on Tundra? Better than Rye and Storm?

[​IMG]