• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me choose a blazer

mrscrouge

Reaction score
hello all, I'm 19 turning 20 soon, and till now i've been going to more formal events borrowin my fathers jackets (
redface.gif
) etc. Obv, since he is a few inches shorter than me and a lot smaller , it was far from my perfect fit. I'm in college, on the way to a B.B.A (and MBA fingers crossed) So it's def time to start buildin my own closet. I chose navy, and narrowed it down to these three (in my correct size
biggrin.gif
) So if i could get some pro's and con's.. any help is appreciated! CAROUZOS - 53% Polyester, 47% Viscose ( the least pricey! looks good as well, the shade is my least favorite)
41181505kn_12_f.jpg
LARGER PICTURE ARMANI COLLEZIONI - 100% Cashmere (like the design overall, cashmere?)
41201561rf_12_f.jpg
LARGER PICTURE ARMANI COLLEZIONI - 58% Wool, 42% Rayon (my favorite shade of navy, idk how i should feel about the pockets?
41203159qr_12_f.jpg
LARGER PICTURE I live in Miami, Fl. Sadly we dont really have seasons. (steady range of 60-90 all year), so i guess i dont have to worry if the jacket is on the lighter side

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Definitely don't buy #1, a poly-viscose jacket will feel (and possibly look) like crap and it's doubtful it will stand up to much wear.

I like the cashmere one a lot (how can this be in a comparable price range with #1 though!?), obviously it will feel great and it looks nice, but how much will you wear it -- cashmere isn't incredibly durable, so consider that.

The third one is at least mostly wool, but I think 100% would be preferable to a rayon mixture (though I always forget what the properties of rayon are, particularly since it's apparently "neither a truly synthetic fiber nor a natural fiber" - Wikipedia). Patch pockets are more common in Europe than North America, but I don't think that makes it unacceptable for any of the regular things you'd need a blazer for -- wait for someone else to chime in as to whether that affects the formality of the garment.

mrscrouge

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply^. Well the cashmere is on sale, and its still about 200$ more than the Carouzos. As far as how often, I'm thinking about buying a grey suit, so I'll alternate. I'm wondering if cashmere is too hot ? Also that was my concern regarding the pockets affecting the formality of the blazer, since i dont want it to be too casual.

Thanks again, hopefully I can get a couple more people's opinion so I can pull the trigger soon!

Blamm

Reaction score
#2 or #3 - not #1 (liek GT said - avoid the poly-viscose)

Not sure why there's not a good old 100% wool navy blazer in your top 3. Head to a decent department store, to Brooks Brothers, or to a local fine men's clothing store and get it done. I personally don't like the brass buttons on blazers - and so I go to my alterations lady and have her switch them out for buttons like the ones in the photos above. Again - that's personal taste

One more suggestion - make sure the shoulders and length fit perfectly. My rookie mistake - buying sportcoats with shoulders an inch or two too wide. Try on a size down and see how the shoulders look. Remember - if the sleeves are too short - easy to fix. If the shoulders are too wide - take it to Goodwill

rioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not really that crazy about any of them but definitely don't pick #1

mrscrouge

Reaction score
thanks, I found a RL 100% wool in my size priced @ 130$. Even though I had around 300-350 budget, decisions decisions
eh.gif

ykurtz

Reaction score
Cashmere isn't a good choice for your locale. 100% wool (9-10 oz), or a wool/linen blend (70/30), would work well. Patch pockets are your least formal option. So if you're going to want to wear your blazer for a more formal occasion, might as well get flaps.

Freakazoid!

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ykurtz
Cashmere isn't a good choice for your locale. 100% wool (9-10 oz), or a wool/linen blend (70/30), would work well. Patch pockets are your least formal option. So if you're going to want to wear your blazer for a more formal occasion, might as well get flaps.

Could you elaborate as to why Cashmere wouldn't be a good choice? Thanks.

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Freakazoid!
Could you elaborate as to why Cashmere wouldn't be a good choice? Thanks.

Being in florida he probably doesn't want something that will be that warm to wear.

fuzzywazzy

Reaction score
They all look the same to me. However, if I were to choose from these three blazers, I would select ARMANI COLLEZIONI with 58% Wool and 42% Rayon.

mrscrouge

Reaction score
pretty stoked, found a brooks brothers on sale for 170$ (reg 625$). Its wool like most of you suggested, only thing is its a 42 (right size), but its Reg and im between 6 and 6'1. Is this a huge problem?
a7011.JPG

reidrothchild

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mrscrouge
pretty stoked, found a brooks brothers on sale for 170$ (reg 625$). Its wool like most of you suggested, only thing is its a 42 (right size), but its Reg and im between 6 and 6'1. Is this a huge problem?

Regular should fit you, but it just depends on your proportions and whether the bottom of the blazer covers you butt. Unless you're into the trendy/shorter jacket style in which case, a 42R may be too long. I'm about 6 feet, and I've tried on some 42 regs that are way too long and some that are way too short.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads