• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

help me change fragrances...

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So, I went with the Tabarome today. Nice stuff. Perhaps I applied a bit too little, but I think it worked out. Tomorrow, or Monday if I spend tomorrow in sweats, I'll try the Idole, and then the Knize. I know everbody is on the edge of their seat waiting for updates
smile.gif

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
^^^....well??? Don't keep us waiting here!
smile.gif

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Why no SMN or Villoresi? I gave a suprise visit to LV as a birthday gift to my wife...not only did we have a great afternoon with him in his studio next to Palazzo Caponi, but she still loves and reorders the scent that he made up for her.

Even though my favorite stuff for myself is British, I still love SMN and where that when I want a change of pace. I just love the smells being closer to nature.

- B

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
^^^....well??? Don't keep us waiting here!
smile.gif

Yesterday I wore pajamas, so no cologne. Today I will be in a car for 8 hours, with other people, so I plan on gracing them with my natural B.O.
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Why no SMN or Villoresi? I gave a suprise visit to LV as a birthday gift to my wife...not only did we have a great afternoon with him in his studio next to Palazzo Caponi, but she still loves and reorders the scent that he made up for her. Even though my favorite stuff for myself is British, I still love SMN and where that when I want a change of pace. I just love the smells being closer to nature. - B
I've never found a Villoresi that I like. It isn't because I don't find the scents interesting, but because I don't like green fragrances on me, and my favorites of his are all very green. SMN I like, and have, but I prefer more British, or at least British-esque, stuff as well.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Yesterday I wore pajamas, so no cologne. Today I will be in a car for 8 hours, with other people, so I plan on gracing them with my natural B.O. I've never found a Villoresi that I like. It isn't because I don't find the scents interesting, but because I don't like green fragrances on me, and my favorites of his are all very green. SMN I like, and have, but I prefer more British, or at least British-esque, stuff as well.
Interesting. LV is a very divisive house, I feel. All of them have a very related feel, sort of how you can tell by the cut of a certain jacket that it is by a certain designer/tailor. So, I can definitely see where you'd say that Villoresi isn't your cup of tea and really it would only take using a few of his classics to tell overall. Neverthelss, LV Musc is my favorite of his line, assuming you would want a musk scent. It's soft, powdery, woody... yum! Hearing what you said above, then perhaps my rec of Idole was premature. As you said from the beginning, without knowing you better (and without knowing the weather where you live, climate, temperature, etc.) it's hard to make a flat recommendation. Knize, though Austrian, has a very English feel to it, I think. So, assuming the weather is fairly cool where you are now, it might still be your best bet. SMN has lots of interesting offerings; Melograno is one that I love in spring/summer. I haven't found a more interesting pomegranate note yet, except for Malone Pomegranate Noir, which nevertheless has a totally different "vibe."

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^^^ I have actually narrowed it down to Idole and VT, so you weren't far off. Idole smells pretty classic to me, in a lot of ways, though my nose is pretty untrained. It reminds me of some sort of memory you would take back from a tropical vacation, when tropical vacations weren't fat guys with trophy wives next to pools, next to beaches. That in itself retains a sort of old time feel, which is probably what I want, more than anything particularly British. For minimalist scents, I really prefer Angeliques.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Ok, so the search is over. Idole clearly has the sophistication for which I was looking, along with a touch of 70s sleaze like Baron suggested. On top of that, the wife likes it a lot. Good all around.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
If you like Angeliques Sous la Pluie, you probably go for the lighter scents. Knize will be overkill for you imo.

EDIT: Didn't read the full thread and never noticed you have already reached a decision.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wow, the analysis of fragrance here is mind boggling. i'll stick to my john varvatos since I have about a gallon of it left even after using it almost every day for a year.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Ok, so the search is over. Idole clearly has the sophistication for which I was looking, along with a touch of 70s sleaze like Baron suggested. On top of that, the wife likes it a lot. Good all around.

Oh, GOODY. That one was really the one I wanted, too... but I didn't want to be too pushy about it.
wink.gif

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
Oh, GOODY. That one was really the one I wanted, too... but I didn't want to be too pushy about it.
wink.gif

So now that I have chosen, how would you describe this stuff?

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So now that I have chosen, how would you describe this stuff?

What, Idole?

Well, when you said you like Le Dandy because it was boozy, that's what immediately made me think of it. I didn't know you already had Idole, but that sort of manly, slightly dark, "boozy" virility is what is its key.

Nevertheless, it also reeks of class and has a very distinct edge to it that keeps it from being boring OR too out there.

The nose behind it, Olivia Giacobetti, is responsible for some of the best scents to come out in the past few decades. She has done a lot for L'artisan parfumeur and all of hers that I've tried ride that line between "classy" and "interesting" really well.

For example, my chief complaint with Creed and the reason I don't LOOOOOVE Creed is because it all feels too "nice." It lacks the backbone of something like Guerlain, Frederic Malle, etc.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
OK, the one thing I was not expecting is that this stuff lasts a loooooooooooong time. Long as in I put it on before dinner, and could still smell it in the morning. Is that normal?

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm.. On me the Idole's top note only last an hour or so but everyone is different. It's also EdT concentration (as opposed to Eau de Parfum or Parfum, though the last one is very rare) which usually translates to: doesn't last very long. To me the "boozy" note smells of Rum and sugar cane.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I thought I would pull a dopey and update everybody. I am still wearing Idole, except when it is hot out, and then I go back to Angeliques Sous la Pluie. Thanks again for all the help.
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads