• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 8th auction is for a Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

help me change fragrances...

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So, I decided to stop wearing what I generally wear, Angeliques Sous la Pluie, at least for a little while. I went down to the garage to rummage through my small backstock, and came up with four possibilities. I'd love some help deciding which one to wear for the next few months, though it is probably a hard thing to do since you guys don't actually know me or my personality.

Anyway, the contenders are:

Knize 10
Tabarome Vintage
Royal English Leather
Le Dandy.

I figured to go with something wintrier, since it is winter.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Totally arbitrarily, I vote for Tabarome.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Tabarome is nice, but the two "heavy hitter" leathers you have on there lead me to think that you want something with some depth and some funk.

If you are only choosing of the ones you listed, definitely Knize 10. REL (Creed) is nice, but the tangerine note with the leather makes it sometimes feel a little medicinal and "meh."

If you are willing to expand, try Parfum d'empire Cuir d'ottoman or Lutens Cuir Mauresque (sp?)

They are both nice leathers, but have a little more luxe funk to them than the Knize (which is straight up "gentlemanly") or the Creed (like the Knize, only not as dry.)

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Knize 10 and REL are the only ones in the stack with which I'm familiar. I'd wear K10 over REL.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
So, I decided to stop wearing what I generally wear, Angeliques Sous la Pluie, at least for a little while. I went down to the garage to rummage through my small backstock, and came up with four possibilities. I'd love some help deciding which one to wear for the next few months, though it is probably a hard thing to do since you guys don't actually know me or my personality.

Anyway, the contenders are:

Knize 10
Tabarome Vintage
Royal English Leather
Le Dandy.

I figured to go with something wintrier, since it is winter.

That's pretty immaterial. That cross-section of contenders there helps much more for recommendations than any poncey getting-to-know-you personality bullshit.

Those 4 are all excellent. Strong & present (good for you, far too many people are walking around in sexless Eau de Sterility). Lotsa leather & tobaccy, and (if memory serves) Le Dandy is more of a boozey kind of ordeal, probably the "ripest" on the list. I love leather, but both REL and Knize 10 miss the mark for me. They're too antique in body, if that makes any sense, I like leathers that are more fluid. It's an "appreciate but not wear" thing with both. Have you ever tried Cuiron?

Personally, I like the leafy tobacco of Tabarome by far the best out of those. I'm a sucker for a good pepper note, and I get it better from this than anything else. Plus it's got exactly the kind of leather I like, so my vote is for VT all the way.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
Tabarome is nice, but the two "heavy hitter" leathers you have on there lead me to think that you want something with some depth and some funk. If you are only choosing of the ones you listed, definitely Knize 10. REL (Creed) is nice, but the tangerine note with the leather makes it sometimes feel a little medicinal and "meh." If you are willing to expand, try Parfum d'empire Cuir d'ottoman or Lutens Cuir Mauresque (sp?) They are both nice leathers, but have a little more luxe funk to them than the Knize (which is straight up "gentlemanly") or the Creed (like the Knize, only not as dry.)
OK, I'll try the Knize, and maybe one of the others if it doesn't work out for me. A couple of questions, though... One of the things I like about Angeliques is that it is mild, and fading, enough that even if I spray on too much, it is never really overbearing or really all that noticeable. Knize is obviously a different story. How much should I start with? Finding correct dosage has always been one of my problems with stronger scents. As a friend of mine who would know told me, the last thing I want is to smell like a Castro bus stop at eight o'clock on a Saturday morning. Second is that I sometimes have a problem with Knize, and other strong frags, feeling hot on my skin if I put it on and my clothing soon after. If I remember to spray it on and leave fifteen minutes or so for it to settle before putting on my shirt, I have no problems. Is this normal?
Originally Posted by Joel Cairo
Personally, I like the leafy tobacco of Tabarome by far the best out of those. I'm a sucker for a good pepper note, and I get it better from this than anything else. Plus it's got exactly the kind of leather I like, so my vote is for VT all the way.
I like it too, and will give it a shot as well, but the same questions go as for Knize.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Knize is a nice scent but you're on the right track with the dosage question - don't overdo it. I'd start with a single spray to the chest and maybe even dab each forarm in that spot right after you spray. If that ends up being too little, try 2 sprays the next time. If it ends up being too strong, next time spray from farther away. I really don't like a lot of sillage with a big leather scent like that. If it stays closer to the skin it really softens up and moves more quickly to the drydown, where it feels much gentler.

I also would consider Le Dandy, at least while it's cold like this. I only have a decant of that one but I never found it to be overbearing and it has a good natured, affable kind of feeling that makes it pleasant to wear. Again, don't overapply.

One you don't own but one that I like a lot and is available for very cheap is Azzaro Pour Homme. Very Italian, classic scent from the 70's. I think it makes a "dated" first impression, in a Ron Burgandy kinda way, but it's deceptively smooth and complex and it's one of the things I wear the most and get the most compliments on.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^^^ That makes sense as far as dosage. Having too little of a scent like that is much better than even a little too much.

I like Le Dandy. It smells like rum to me.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
Knize is a nice scent but you're on the right track with the dosage question - don't overdo it. I'd start with a single spray to the chest and maybe even dab each forarm in that spot right after you spray. If that ends up being too little, try 2 sprays the next time. If it ends up being too strong, next time spray from farther away. I really don't like a lot of sillage with a big leather scent like that. If it stays closer to the skin it really softens up and moves more quickly to the drydown, where it feels much gentler. I also would consider Le Dandy, at least while it's cold like this. I only have a decant of that one but I never found it to be overbearing and it has a good natured, affable kind of feeling that makes it pleasant to wear. Again, don't overapply.
If you're self-conscious about over-sharing the scent Matt, I'd actually not recommend the chest. There it'll be right under your nostrils all day long, and you'll get a totally out-of-proportion sense of how much it's projecting. Also, there is little research at this point about how frags interact with burly chest hair. The forearms are good, a little spritz on each maybe. What I like, though, is one direct shot to the back of the neck (gotta let it dry before tying your tie though). There it will only be smelled by the people you want to smell you (as they pretty much have to be all up in your personal headspace) as opposed to the forearm, where, if the sprayer pumps more juice than you intended, people just shaking your hand are gonna get a whiff. Can't help on the warm sensation part. hot flashes maybe?

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm pro-chest. I have a similar manly undergrowth and my own research indicates that smaller doses last longer when sprayed on the chest hair than they do being sprayed on bare skin. You get the best of both worlds - subtle dosage and long lasting power.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^^^ That makes sense as far as dosage. Having too little of a scent like that is much better than even a little too much. I like Le Dandy. It smells like rum to me.
I know you weren't really looking for recommendations, but the best "boozy" scent I've tried in recent years is Lubin Idole. If you decide to go less tobacco/Leather and more "rummy/booze," PLEASE give the Idole a sniff. Le Dandy is nice, of course, but Idole is really one of the best things to come out for men in a while... it kind of blends together everything for which you are looking.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
I'm pro-chest. I have a similar manly undergrowth and my own research indicates that smaller doses last longer when sprayed on the chest hair than they do being sprayed on bare skin. You get the best of both worlds - subtle dosage and long lasting power.

Well yes, it is a true fact that spraying on hair adds longevity, if only because hair don't sweat.

I do the chest too, with stuff I'm comfortable about dosing. If Matt's already concerned about reeking like a frenchman, though, I just think it's good to spray somewhere that will give him a better read on how he smells to passers-by, whose noses are not necessarily 10 inches directly north of his nipples.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
Well yes, it is a true fact that spraying on hair adds longevity, if only because hair don't sweat.

I do the chest too, with stuff I'm comfortable about dosing. If Matt's already concerned about reeking like a frenchman, though, I just think it's good to spray somewhere that will give him a better read on how he smells to passers-by, whose noses are not necessarily 10 inches directly north of his nipples.

+1. Glad to have your expertise back in Body Consciousness, Phil!

As for me, I spray everywhere, all over, with reckless abandon. When the municipal authorities run out of Mosquito spray in late summer, they just ask me to walk shirtless down the city streets.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
I know you weren't really looking for recommendations, but the best "boozy" scent I've tried in recent years is Lubin Idole. If you decide to go less tobacco/Leather and more "rummy/booze," PLEASE give the Idole a sniff. Le Dandy is nice, of course, but Idole is really one of the best things to come out for men in a while... it kind of blends together everything for which you are looking.
I have that too, but every time I look at the bottle, I think that I am getting ready to go to da Club. Do you really think it is a well done scent?

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have that too, but every time I look at the bottle, I think that I am getting ready to go to da Club. Do you really think it is a well done scent?
I do... but I admit a soft spot in that I tend to like/have a slight bias for what Giacobetti does (several of my favorite fragrances have all been done by her... like Maurice Roucel, many of the stuff she has done had "connected" with my nose). As for the packaging, I actually love the bottle design; it reminds me of Picasso seeing African art and painting D'avignon...
Do you mean you already have that one? Are you not crazy about it? I tend to go with outright foul scents, ala Civet monsters that have been offending sensibilities since the 1850's... but for a nice, boozy, "manly" dark scent for cooler weather, I think it really fits the bill for a general "recommendation." As you said, without knowing you personally, it's hard for me to recommend something like Muscs Kublai Khan or Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier, haha. I wouldn't want to make you smell like you hadn't bathed in months... unless I knew that was the effect intended! EDIT: You know, I shouldn't be doing 15 things at once when I read/post... I read your OP to mean you were going to go out and buy something new. You've already GOT those four (and the Lubin), right? In that case, I still recommend the Lubin. Second would be Knize, though only in cooler weather. Then Tabarome, REL, and Le Dandy (in that order).

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 30 3.7%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 142 17.3%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 267 32.6%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 130 15.9%
  • 31 - 40