• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me buy new glasses

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hiya! So anyway, I have an appointment with my eye doctor tomorrow. Therefore, new eyeglasses are right around the corner! I was hoping some of you guys with a good sense of style could recommend either what general style of frames I should go with, or perhaps even specific frames. I'll print out any suitable pictures to take it to the place where I buy my glasses. Here are the frames that are currently in my rotation:
black.jpg
round2.jpg
smokey.jpg

Sazerac

Reaction score
I have an oval face similar to yours and often wear chunky plastic frames. However, on my most recent eyeglass upgrade I picked up a pair of these.

http://www.mykita.com/articles/index...ollection-no-1

They're subtler than the plastic frames I usually wear and extremely durable (I have a five year old and three year old that love nothing more than to "try on daddy's glasses.")

Sadly, I lost them in a cab and have reverted to my Paul Smith frames.

jackdaw

Reaction score
Try eyeglasses.com. I think the Anglo American 406 might look good on you. The quality is quite good.

jackdaw

Reaction score
P.S. The AA406 comes in a dozen colors. Eyeglasses.com has several pages under Retro Styles that are quite nice. I think a P3 or rounded shape suits you better than the rectangular syyle.

Mr. Lee

Reaction score
Second one makes the most sense, considering that your face is generally round and full. The other ones look dinky. So, I would go with something more substantial than narrow.

Sazerac

Reaction score
The ones pictured are the ones currently in his rotation.

Bleach, you're looking for something different, no?

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sazerac
The ones pictured are the ones currently in his rotation.

Bleach, you're looking for something different, no?

Yes, exactly. I already own the second pair of glasses.
smile.gif

Sazerac

Reaction score
Like I said, see if your optical shop carries Mykita. Really elegant stuff. (I'd never advocate buying anything without trying it on, but I doubt you do anyway.) They're a more premium brand, but well made (German, so they'll last a thousand years, or at least until 1945.)

changy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Working Stiff
Don't get too hung up on specific models that people recommend. You really can't choose glasses online; you have to try them on and see how they fit.

+1. When I was picking out my current glasses (Moscot Glenn), they comes in 2 sizes, same design. The smaller pair looks awful on me.

Beaune Head

Reaction score
I like the third pair. Oliver Peoples makes some nice frames in that shape. I think the second pair echoes the shape of your face too closely.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the second pair you could go with a tortise shell in that. I have a similar frame from from Conquistadoor which is a German brand. Their site is well worth a look, LaFont I used t wear a lot then the quality went right down.

Have you looked at Anglo American they have an excellent selection very good frames wore them for years then they lost their Australian distributor, merde!

I have a similar oval face to yours and I recently picked up a pair of glasses in the style that Le Croubiser made famous took 12 months to track them down.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads