• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Help me buy my first watch

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Joined
Nov 15, 2010
Messages
1,524
Reaction score
55
Hello everyone,

I've decided to buy myself a new watch for my birthday in February. I'm a young professional who works in corporate finance here in L.A. After looking at the watch porn thread, I've been inspired to by a "nice" watch. I've never liked the feel of a watch but I'm sure I'll get used to it. Now, I don't think I'm going to buy a Patek or a Breitling or watches similar to those. I saw someone wear a simple Omega Seamaster and I think this is the one I'm going for.

I don't like flashy things because simplicity is key. Therefore, I'm targeting a 1960's +/- 10 years Seamaster. Quite honestly, I don't know the difference between a 1940 to a 1990 and etc other than the years. However, when I looked at the styling of these types of watches, my eye typically was caught by the "older" ones.

Thoughts please? What should I look for? Everyone talks about movement and whether it should be automatic or manual. I've also heard I should take close notice of the dials and seconds and etc. Please overwhelm me with your advice, critique and knowledge. I'll show pictures after I purchase.

Lastly, is buying off the internet/websites/ebay safe? I don't want a knockoff from China or the Phillipines. Also, does the face color indicate whether I should where the watch to work, to a black tie, or to the farmers market on a lazy sunday?

Cheers
 

anginaprinzmetal

Distinguished Member
Joined
Oct 27, 2010
Messages
1,551
Reaction score
99
If you like an understated classic which can stand on par with any watch, and it's tough as nails... Then I say you need to go for a "simple" Omega Speedmaster Professional with a 321 calibre.
 

GBear

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 27, 2010
Messages
1,614
Reaction score
922
Buying off the internet should be fine, especially if it is under $5000. The thing is you will not be getting the manufacturer's warranty because no watch company sells over the internet. If you want the manufacturer's warranty, you'll need to head to an authorized dealer and it will cost you more. Oh, just reread what you were saying. You have to be very careful if you want to buy vintage online. Make sure to double check whether it is authentic or not. I think there's a few different methods. If I remember correctly, each watch should be triple branded: on the face, movement, and back casing? I need clarification on this. Automatic or manual movement is just a personal preference. In my opinion, don't even look at quartz. You're better than that. Obviously, manual movements will require winding but as long as you don't mind, go for it. It can be therapeutic. :p Omega Seamasters are great. I see you're going for the James Bond look.
Take a look at the Speedmasters as well. Personally, I think it is an older look because of the domed window, but nonetheless, it is a great watch. If you're looking for a sporty watch and the only watch that is certified by NASA for space travel, the Speedmaster is for you. Also, give us your budget. It might simplify things. There are so many options for you. I suggest you take your time and do not buy on an impulse. I also suggest you buy something unique and special. Don't go with the oversized ugly Panerai. Look around, lurk more. You can also ask around and read up on www.watchuseek.com. There are lots of enthusiasts on there.
 

nmerc001

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jan 5, 2009
Messages
1,045
Reaction score
0
Congrats for you in your journey in getting your first "real" watch. Being your first real watch, I'd recommend an automatic movement (assuming you're going to wear it everyday), with only a minute, hour, second, and date functions with a steel/white gold color so it can match well with just about everything.

I currently own an Omega Speedy, Rolex Submariner, Rolex Speedking, Patek Philippe Calatrava, and Casio G-Shock and found that the Rolex Submariner the most versatile out of the group (goes well with a suit, jeans, business outfit, swimsuit) and has great resell value if you decide to flip the watch for something else. I'm a strong believer of buying pre-owned/mint. The feeling of "hunting" for your watch for a bargain is much more satisfying than walking into a dealers store and handing over your credit card without knowing how much you probably got ripped off.


Buying off the internet can be tricky, just as long you check references and if they are a "Gray Market Dealer", make sure the business is legit. I don't recommend buying from eBay, too many shady buyers out there.
 

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Joined
Nov 15, 2010
Messages
1,524
Reaction score
55
Originally Posted by GBear
Buying off the internet should be fine, especially if it is under $5000. The thing is you will not be getting the manufacturer's warranty because no watch company sells over the internet. If you want the manufacturer's warranty, you'll need to head to an authorized dealer and it will cost you more.

Oh, just reread what you were saying. You have to be very careful if you want to buy vintage online. Make sure to double check whether it is authentic or not. I think there's a few different methods. If I remember correctly, each watch should be triple branded: on the face, movement, and back casing? I need clarification on this.

Automatic or manual movement is just a personal preference. In my opinion, don't even look at quartz. You're better than that. Obviously, manual movements will require winding but as long as you don't mind, go for it. It can be therapeutic. :p

Omega Seamasters are great. I see you're going for the James Bond look.
Take a look at the Speedmasters as well. Personally, I think it is an older look because of the domed window, but nonetheless, it is a great watch. If you're looking for a sporty watch and the only watch that is certified by NASA for space travel, the Speedmaster is for you.

Also, give us your budget. It might simplify things.

There are so many options for you. I suggest you take your time and do not buy on an impulse. I also suggest you buy something unique and special. Don't go with the oversized ugly Panerai. Look around, lurk more. You can also ask around and read up on www.watchuseek.com. There are lots of enthusiasts on there.


Thank you for your advice. Yes, I am going for the James Bond look as I was named after him

I like the look of the Speedmasters too and I do think they're more versatile than the Seamasters. However, I want to build on my collection and I am leaning towards the Seamasters.


Originally Posted by nmerc001
Congrats for you in your journey in getting your first "real" watch. Being your first real watch, I'd recommend an automatic movement (assuming you're going to wear it everyday), with only a minute, hour, second, and date functions with a steel/white gold color so it can match well with just about everything.

I currently own an Omega Speedy, Rolex Submariner, Rolex Speedking, Patek Philippe Calatrava, and Casio G-Shock and found that the Rolex Submariner the most versatile out of the group (goes well with a suit, jeans, business outfit, swimsuit) and has great resell value if you decide to flip the watch for something else. I'm a strong believer of buying pre-owned/mint. The feeling of "hunting" for your watch for a bargain is much more satisfying than walking into a dealers store and handing over your credit card without knowing how much you probably got ripped off.


Buying off the internet can be tricky, just as long you check references and if they are a "Gray Market Dealer", make sure the business is legit. I don't recommend buying from eBay, too many shady buyers out there.


Hello,

Thank you for your advice too. Some of the watched I am looking at have the date and some don't. I guess I didn't realize if this was important to me or not. I'll have to re-evaluate my preferences.
I looked at the Submariner and it is a beautiful watch. I think that will be one I build up to


For pre-owned/mint, you're saying it is better to buy an excellent condition pre-owned versus a brand new? May I ask why? I'm unable to tell whether one is mint versus great condition. I have seen some good condition watches but some will have spots (dont know if I can wipe these off) or have blemishes on the hands.

I'm not familiar with this term, Gray market dealer but I'll look it up on google right now. I just hope I can find a great watch that is authentic or I'm going to be looking for someone with a vendetta :p

Cheers
 

GBear

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 27, 2010
Messages
1,614
Reaction score
922
A gray market dealer can be described as those websites that sell watches or shops that are not authorized dealers. You can sometimes get much better deals off the gray market but there is a little bit of risk (eg. no manufacturer's warranty).
 

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2011
Messages
3,522
Reaction score
837
I was in the same boat as you last year and went with the Seamaster Professional (co-axial automatic movement). There's something reassuring about that little mechanical clicking on my wrist. It's a beautiful watch and I get compliments.

Wathuseek sales is an excellent place for gray-market watches. I purchased mine from a dealer, since Omegas are "affordable" but the sales forum can save you some. Definitely steer clear from ebay, I've heard so many horror stories.

Make sure you try on the submariner too. It's a little different in feel from the SMP and you should give them both a shot. I opted for the SMP since I thought Rolex was a little too embarrassing and I didn't like the military look of its bezel. That said, it annoys me when sales people see my Omega and ask if I want to "step it up" to a Rolex!

Good luck!
 

East Oakland

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 26, 2009
Messages
232
Reaction score
2
I have an automatic Omega seamaster with a black face:



I fucking love it -- it's my favorite watch. I wear it with everything from suits and ties to jeans. I also take it snorkeling in the ocean. I typically wear it on a black nato strap.

It looks good without drawing a lot of attention to itself. It's also easy to read in the dark.
I've even gotten compliments on it from one of my wealthier clients who has a collection of Pateks.

The downside is that it's fairly ubiquitous.

I bought it in 2001 from a grey market dealer for $1100. I think retail at the time was about $2200. With Omegas, I think grey market is the way to go since you can get them serviced almost anywhere.

I hate this version of the seamaster, though:



The minute hand doesn't reach all the way to the minute markers, which I think is really annoying.
 

Oyaji

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2009
Messages
180
Reaction score
5
I think I guessed what type of watch you like

I would suggest you have a look to the JL Master Ultrathin, not a budget watch but should be close to the look you are interested in.
 

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Joined
Mar 13, 2006
Messages
21,169
Reaction score
1,750
I usually won't recommend someone buying a vintage watch, let alone from ebay or a store you don't really know, if this is the first time you're buying a 'better' watch... lots of things can go wrong.
 

changy

Senior Member
Joined
May 9, 2008
Messages
573
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by acidboy
I usually won't recommend someone buying a vintage watch, let alone from ebay or a store you don't really know, if this is the first time you're buying a 'better' watch... lots of things can go wrong.

This. I do not recommend a vintage watch as a first watch. A mechanical watch is a complicated machine, like a car, the older the machine, the more problem it has. A vintage watch will be more prone to problems and more expensive in the long run, and yes, there are ebay dealers selling fake vintages. Therefore, buying a vintage watch requires a certain level of knowledge regarding watches which a first time buyer usually do not have.

If you must buy a vintage, I would stay away from ebay and buy from a reputed dealer such as aaron faber in NY. It will be more expensive but think of it as buying a piece of mind. Also check out timezone.com's guide to vintages

If you are looking at 60s vintage omegas, I'm assuming you are looking at sub $1000. There are several boutiques/German brands that provides good value at that price point.
 

venessian

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2011
Messages
1,928
Reaction score
717
Originally Posted by k4lnamja
Hello everyone,

I've decided to buy myself a new watch for my birthday in February.

Therefore, I'm targeting a 1960's +/- 10 years Seamaster. Quite honestly, I don't know the difference between a 1940 to a 1990 and etc other than the years. However, when I looked at the styling of these types of watches, my eye typically was caught by the "older" ones.

Thoughts please? What should I look for? Everyone talks about movement and whether it should be automatic or manual. I've also heard I should take close notice of the dials and seconds and etc. Please overwhelm me with your advice, critique and knowledge. I'll show pictures after I purchase.

Lastly, is buying off the internet/websites/ebay safe? I don't want a knockoff from China or the Phillipines. Also, does the face color indicate whether I should where the watch to work, to a black tie, or to the farmers market on a lazy sunday?

Cheers

Some good advice here already.

In addition, since you specify a watch for your birthday and an interest in a 1960's +/- 10 years Seamaster, may I suggest a Seamaster from your birth year?

My father bought a watch for me when I was born, a 1958 Seamaster, and of course that watch has a sentimental value no other watch of mine can possibly ever have.



You can look for specific year watches via ebay search (i.e. "1958 omega"), via serial number by year, and via the search function on certain online sites.

I would suggest an automatic movement rather than a manual movement. The dial design and color, case material/color, and strap (leather) vs. band (metal) are of course your own decisions.

The major differences between a 1960's watch and a 1990's watch will be in the dimensions, and some functions. Not all '60's watches will have a date, and not many of those that do will have a 2-step crown (allowing one to change the date without having to wind the hands). Many will have a push-in rather than a screw-down crown.

An older will watch will have a smaller (+/- 37mm vs. +/- 39, 40, 42, even 44 or 46mm) case diameter (with a consequentially smaller distance (i.e. 16mm) lug width) and will generally be thinner. The only way to gauge what size watch will sit comfortably on your wrist is of course to try on various sizes.

Buying used from a reliable online watch shop (beware of "too good to be true" sites of course) or an eBay seller specializing in watch sales and with very good feedback should be fine as long as you follow the recommendations already posted above. Just use the appropriate caution and always ask questions, in order to gauge the expertise and promptness of the reply if nothing else.

As already mentioned, watchuseek is a really excellent forum/marketplace.

timezone is also a good site and their FAQ may be of help to you.
 

venessian

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2011
Messages
1,928
Reaction score
717
Originally Posted by GBear
Make sure to double check whether it is authentic or not. I think there's a few different methods.
Usually by checking the serial number.

Originally Posted by GBear
If I remember correctly, each watch should be triple branded: on the face, movement, and back casing? I need clarification on this.
An authentic watch should be signed in 5 to 7 places: on the face (dial); the crown; the back (sometimes with edition #); the inside of the back (with serial #); the movement; on the strap and buckle if original; and sometimes on the crystal.

Originally Posted by GBear
Also, give us your budget. It might simplify things.
Yes.

Originally Posted by GBear
There are so many options for you. I suggest you take your time and do not buy on an impulse. I also suggest you buy something unique and special. Don't go with the oversized ugly Panerai. Look around, lurk more. You can also ask around and read up on www.watchuseek.com. There are lots of enthusiasts on there.
Absolutely.
 

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Joined
Dec 17, 2008
Messages
8,103
Reaction score
56
DONT buy an Omega off ebay. Way too many fakes and frankens.
 

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 15 3.1%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 84 17.1%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 161 32.8%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 79 16.1%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 42 8.6%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 31 6.3%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 18 3.7%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 10 2.0%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 13 2.6%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 4 0.8%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 4 0.8%
  • 100+

    Votes: 30 6.1%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
427,598
Messages
9,201,498
Members
193,213
Latest member
poeboty

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Top