Help Me Buy A Tuxedo (and get it tailored) in WDC on the cheap.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpartanUndressed, Jul 5, 2011.

1. SpartanUndressed

SpartanUndressed Active Member

I want to buy an inexpensive tuxedo in Washington, DC. All I know is I want flat front pants. I am planning on hitting up Filenes to see what they have. Any suggestions/advice? Where should I have it tailored, and what are the must haves the tailor should do and what would be optional?

TIA

2. SpartanUndressed

SpartanUndressed Active Member

Any human and/or non-spam responses?

3. Shawl Lapel

Shawl Lapel Senior member

Have you looked at www.blacktieguide.com? Won't help with the tailoring, but might give you some ideas of what you want in your black tie rig.

4. GBR

GBR Senior member

Any human and/or non-spam responses?

Yes.

Go to the cheapest shops you can find and part with a minimal amount of money.
    Ask the staff therein what they think needs to be done to it (other than burning) to make it look even vaguely decent on you. There are no generalisations so you will need to think..

By all means look at www.blacktieguide.com but from what you say cost seems to be the issue not quality.

5. BLU8

BLU8 Well-Known Member

It's a despised brand on SF, but the Jos. A. Bank Signature Peak Lapel Tuxedo has all of the SF-approved traditional tux details (SB, PL, 1B, no vents, besom pockets, grosgrain trim) & is currently on sale for $450: http://www.josbank.com/menswear/shop...1_10050_101786

The only detail that may deter you are the single-pleated trousers, but it still is a nice tuxedo for less than $500.