• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me blow all my money in London!!

driveslowk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello!

Here are the stores I'm planning to visit so far (all credit to SF members and some from sufu)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Belstaff (Conduit st. near Regent St.)
COS (222 regent st, next to Liberty)
Liberty (Regent st.)
Size? (Carnaby Street, has the widest selection of sneakers)

Connelly's (Conduit st., smart basics)
Folk Clothing (49 Lambs Conduit Street)

Brown's new shoe store (near Bond St., opposite side of the street from the famed Claridge's Hotel)
Uniqlo flagship (inbetween Bond st. and Oxford Circus tube station)
Browns (South Molton st. Near Bond St.)
Paul Smith Outlet (Avery Row)

Selfridges (400 Oxford Street )
Massimo Dutti (Oxford St.)

Margaret Howell (Wigmore St.)

Harvey Nichols (109 - 125 Knightsbridge , +cafe on top of it / grilled check sandwich)

Dover St. Market (17-18 Dover Street, London W1s)
Paul Smith furniture shop on Albermarle St. (next st over from Dover)

Reiss (everywhere apparently, ahaha)

East End

Mendoza (158 Brick Lane)
American Classics (Endell St., Red Wings, etc.)
Absolute Vintage

BRIGHTON
take train from victoria station to brighton

Jump The Gun

CLUBS AND PUBS

Fabric (arguably the best nightclub in London).

The End - 18 West Central Street, London, WC1A 1JJ
http://www.endclub.com/news/index.php

The Cross - Arches 27 - 31, York Way, London
http://www.the-cross.co.uk/

Don't limit yourself to clubs, either. Some of the cities best pubs can be a lot of fun, too. Check out the Cheshire Cheese, Jerusalem Tavern, and others through pubs crawls.

Best Bar (for indie kids): Old Blue Last (aka Vice Magazine bar, Great Eastern Street)
Best Indie Club: Trash @ The End Every Monday
Best Electro Club: Boombox (Every sunday @ Hoxton Bar & Grill)
Best Gallery: Tate Modern

Grab a Time Out magazine each Wednesday and check the listings. Otherwise hit the clubs around Old Street, Shoreditch, Brick Lane (93 Feet East on Brick Lane has some interesting stuff on most nights, and is a fun club)

Three Kings in Clerkenwell (Pub)
Coffee at Bar Italia in Soho.
Hampstead Heath is nice for a walk.
Stay away from doner kebabs and jellied eel.

For partying, the Shoreditch/Hoxton area is cool, comparable to the lower east side in NYC I suppose.

ART

Def Tate Modern, National Portrait Gallery, Proud Galleries - again, Time Out is rad for this. Go and have a look at the Swiss Re building (known as the gerkin) and Lloyds insurance building for cool architecture
White Cube in Hoxton has some good exhibitions

FOOD

Yauatcha - impeccable dimsum from the owner of Hakkasan

Hakkasan - a long time favourite, I go here everytime I'm in the city and it never dissapoints.

Donzoko on Kingley St is great...laidback and cheap. Salmon Sashimi and the salmon rice balls are fantastic.

Mr. Jerk - Jerk Chicken! two places next to each other, go to the "original" for a more fresh place, the other one for a more intimate, crammed up experience. food is equally good.

best curry house in london is the Lahore Kebab House off Commercial Rd near Aldgate East tube.... and its bring your own alcohol (theres an off-license next door).

For eats, hang out at the Rose Bakery on Dover St Market's top floor and go to pretty much any restaurant in Chinatown if you like that sorta thing. If you like art, have a wander around Piccadilly and Mayfair - you can visit the Royal Academy of Arts and the array of galleries on Cork Street behind the RA. See if you can wrangle a spot on the plinth in Trafalgar Square that's being used as an art installation for people to stand on for an hour

For fish and chips, I recommend Rock and Sole Plaice in Endell St./ Covent Garden. Also, on the weekend I'd recommend visiting Borough Market, maybe combining it with a visit to the Tate Modern (free). Hope this helps.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is basically what I am printing out and bringing along with me. You guys have all been immensely helpful!

So, any other suggestions?
I'm 19, fan of buttondowns (own five from mjk!). I want to find a nice pair of brown leather shoes. (single monkstrap would be nice) but not a huge budget. My style is mostly simple, clean, well-fitting basics. (What's the best Uniqlo in London?)

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also hit BAPE. If you still have money left after all that, holler at your boy via PayPal.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You might like Margaret Howell's shop.

AGPi

Reaction score
Visit some pubs. You could do worse than the Three Kings in Clerkenwell.
Coffee at Bar Italia in Soho.
Hampstead Heath is nice for a walk.
Stay away from doner kebabs and jellied eel.

barims

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also near Bond Street - opposite side of the street from the famed Claridge's hotel - is Browns' new shoe store. The best Uniqlo is the flagship inbetween the Bond St and Oxford Circus tube stations. For smart basics and perhaps shoes, check out Connelly's on Conduit Street. On the Reiss scale of things, Massimo Dutti on Oxford St may be worth a look, although that's 2nd hand info where I'm concerned. There are a couple of other shoe shops along South Molton St after Browns

For eats, hang out at the Rose Bakery on Dover St Market's top floor and go to pretty much any restaurant in Chinatown if you like that sorta thing. If you like art, have a wander around Piccadilly and Mayfair - you can visit the Royal Academy of Arts and the array of galleries on Cork Street behind the RA. See if you can wrangle a spot on the plinth in Trafalgar Square that's being used as an art installation for people to stand on for an hour

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
good choices so far. The COS store right next to Liberty is pretty cool, saw some nice stuff in there that wont break your wallet.

If you're in the east end, go down Brick Lane (eating at one of the various curry joints entirely your risk) and check out Mendoza which is at the north end, the address is 158 Brick Lane. They carry buttondowns from DNA Groove which is a really cool small Italian label, as well as other stuff of interest.

I suppose you need to add Harrods and Selfridges to your list too.

Another place for eats, Rock and Sole Plaice on Endell St (not far from Covent Garden). It's about 50 feet from Interstate which carries ton of Edwin denim, Nudie, Carhatt etc. I dont even like fish and I like the fishnchips at RSP

btw, dont forget that the larger stores offer VAT refunds where you get your 12% or so tax back at the airport (pick the cash option at Heathrow, you get less back but the credit option takes months). You have to ask the store for a airport VAT tax return form that you submit when you leave UK at the airport. And with the exchange right now your dollar will go as far as it ever has

CityHunter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What a coincidence! I'll be heading to London soon as well! This thread has been a great help.
These are the stores that were recommended to me...can anybody confirm if they are worth going to?
-Garbstore
-Topman
-Sefton
-Library
-A Butcher of Distinction
-B Store

holla!

Torrente

Reaction score
Other than those already mentioned I would recommend a trip down to the Portobello road market on an early Saturday morning. I love the atmosphere and you could find some very cool things in vintage shops and also souvenirs at much lower prices then those downtown.

Have fun.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
^^ it's a cool store, it's right near Interstate and Rock and Sole Plaice as well, off Endell St

invalid_user

Reaction score
Awesome, I'll definitely check it out. Thinking about getting a pair of the 9013's and using them for my 2 week trip there. Thanks for the heads up about the VAT...12% back is a nice way to end the trip.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads