Help me blow all my money in London!!

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by driveslowk, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

GS, if you liked the Aquascutum flagship store (which is indeed rad) did you check the Pringle store?

London is one of the best cities to just walk around

yep, both (Sloane and New Bond). Dropped a decent amount of change there as well.

+infinitum to the 2nd point

2. gawkrodger

gawkrodger Senior member

next time you're in the UK, i reckon it'd be worth your while taking the hour or so trip out of London to Bicester - The Pringle outlet there has been excellent every time I've been and the likes of the PS, Aquascutum, Burberry etc stores are normally decent. last time I went (about 6 weeks ago - I don't live in London, but Birmingham - takes me 45mins to drive there) the PS store was excellent for shoes. Near full size runs on millers, stars, pinkerton and corsos all for the £130 mark. Much better than the London outlet

3. schnazzy

schnazzy Well-Known Member

edit : nvm

4. driveslowk

driveslowk Senior member

^ Thanks a ton for the info Can someone give me more info about the C&J warehouse. (When can I visit, is their some secret english gentleman handshake to get in, etc.) I also want to try on the Grenson Kirk's so I can order them in both black calf and burnt pine. I'm leaving next thursday, and INSANELY excited. albam loooks good, how expensive? okay here's something new ways to save money? I need to stretch this budget [​IMG].

5. gawkrodger

gawkrodger Senior member

if you're based in central london, just walk. will save you a fair amount of ££. I can give you tips on how to bun tube fairs, just make sure you're white and not wearing a rucksack!

6. driveslowk

driveslowk Senior member

I'm leaving on thursday everyone! Thanks a TON for the help.

Last question i have is about currency. What's the cheapest way?

Do I exchange at the airports, my bank, etc.?

My debit card charges 3% for foreign purchases and 1% for ATM. Is getting money from an ATM over there cheaper than going to the currency exchanges?

7. PinkPantser

PinkPantser Senior member

In my experience, withdrawing from an ATM was best. Airport's pretty bad.

8. davidmross

davidmross Senior member

I'm also leaving for London on Thursday and will gladly use all the great information in this thread to blow my brains out.

One point: I'm pretty sure that The End is now closed. They had their big end of The End party a few weeks back. It was a great place. Had a fabulous night at the Ben Watt Buzzin Fly party last spring. Wow.

9. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

any London locals check out the new store Present in Shoreditch? it sounds (and looks from pics) really cool. Apparently the coffee bar has the winner of the "World's Best Barista" making the coffee.

should add to this list Son of Stag off Brick Lane for denim (LVC, Studio D'Artisan, Real McCoy)

gonna be back in town next week to help their retail economy!!

10. Pablo-T

Pablo-T Senior member

11. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

been to most of the Brick Lane shops....Present is brand new since the last time we were there. And also want to hit up Start in shoreditch again since they were closed the last time we went. Fuggers dont open until like 1 or 2pm. [​IMG] ^^ saw those boots w/vibram sole (and tried on) at Isetan Mens in Tokyo a couple months back. Pretty cool, but at $1000ish not just something you pick up on a whim

12. TintoTerra

TintoTerra Senior member

I don't know who suggested Topman or Reiss, but those are basically the same as shopping at the Gap or Banana Republic. Save your sheckles for brands/shops that are unique to there or at least not available here in the US.

13. Pablo-T

Pablo-T Senior member

From memory, they were £265 or £295. Not a lot more than standard Trickers if you like Vibram soles (I don't). But if you don't want the hassle of going to the factory shop in NOrthampton, this is one of the best locations for Trickers in London. And the coffee's a bargain (altho this Sunday Gwylym was on COlumbia ROad, just round the corner).

Also new this week, a damn good hat shop. The Laird of Glencairm, on Columbia Road. THis is what I'm wearing in the London sleet this week: [​IMG]

14. Pablo-T

Pablo-T Senior member

I don't know who suggested Topman or Reiss, but those are basically the same as shopping at the Gap or Banana Republic. Save your sheckles for brands/shops that are unique to there or at least not available here in the US.
    I'm a snob, too, but it's worth checking out TOp Man on Oxford St all the same; it's way younger/edgier than Gap, their turnover is frightening and their prices really cheap. You might find a knock-off/interpretation of a vintage item for a scarily low price - yes, you might only find cheap, nasty stuff but this is one of the best high street mass market stores and definitely worth a look. Reiss is a little like Banana Republic, though, a bit middle aged & tasteful.

15. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

From memory, they were £265 or £295.

that's a downright bargain compared to what they cost in Tokyo, about 95000 Y ($1000)

fine looking hat! am looking to get a good cap while I'm there so thanks for the suggestion