• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me avoid crappy wedding music

MrGimpy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My fiancÃ
00a9.png
e and I are in the middle of planning our wedding for next summer and are working on the music side of things now.

We accept that it's probably easiest to play music that's somewhat familiar, but fight the gag reflex when **** like Celebrate and The Macarena gets played at weddings. I'd rather hear Love Will Tear Us Apart at my wedding than Mony Mony.

Please help me add to my list of songs that would result in the DJ becoming a eunuch.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Congratulations on the upcoming nupitals!

We danced the Cotton-Eyed Joe at our wedding and had a blast. So I am uniquely un-qualified to steer you away from crappy music.

greekonomist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congratulations.

My people avoid this problem by eschewing popular music and hiring a live Greek band.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congratulations!

Must you have a DJ? If so, perhaps the DJ can give you the playlist in advance and you can exercise your veto.

Personally, I'd opt for a jazz band or a dj who will play jazz.

MrGimpy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the congratulations, all.

We're toying with the idea of a band rather than a DJ. If we can find a decent cover or Greek band that's somewhat affordable, we'll go that route.

The only reason we're leaning towards a DJ at this point is that we've been blindsided by the wedding-industrial complex and still recovering from the shock of the $5000+ photographer.

Confession: I've danced to Cotton-Eyed Joe and liked it.

greekonomist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
Congratulations on the upcoming nupitals!

We danced the Cotton-Eyed Joe at our wedding and had a blast. So I am uniquely un-qualified to steer you away from crappy music.

aaaaaand thanks for putting that song in my head.
plain.gif

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Its called an Ipod, do it your self. Maybe a life Jazz band for the cocktail/dinning, then switch over to the I-pod and make your own play list

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Strokin' by Clarence Carter always works well

MrGimpy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NorCal
Its called an Ipod, do it your self. Maybe a life Jazz band for the cocktail/dinning, then switch over to the I-pod and make your own play list

The problem with an iPod is that someone still has to run it. It's wishful thinking to suppose that you can make a playlist that will correctly anticipate the mood of your guests at all points throughout the night, always supplying the right song at the right moment. And I won't burden one of my guests by asking them to do it.

There will a string duo/trio/quartet for the ceremony/cocktail bit.

visionology

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most DJs use ipods and such anyways, what you are paying them for is really to be a good DJ. Good ones really make the reception great, they get into it, get the people on the floor. I've been to some where the songs were all over the place and the DJ made no effort to get anyone excited while the last one we went to this past summer the DJ had everyone on the floor and honestly it didn't matter what we were dancing to.

I think you have to not only pick songs that you like but songs you know will get people out there dancing otherwise if you have songs that are either too obscure or don't have a good dance beat you will have tubleweeds rolling by the floor.

I know 50%+ of our family is hispanic so we are probably going to have a good mix of merengue and salsa songs because the spanish people like to dance but not too many in a row to isolate the white people. I am avoiding any group songs like the electric slide and macarena. I wish I could play a few house beats like David Guetta the World is Mine but I'd probably be the only one out there.

unpainted huffheinz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrGimpy
We accept that it's probably easiest to play music that's somewhat familiar, but fight the gag reflex when **** like Celebrate and The Macarena gets played at weddings. I'd rather hear Love Will Tear Us Apart at my wedding than Mony Mony.

I may, and this is fairly tenuous, be able to get Peter Hook to DJ your wedding. I think he wants about $10k a gig though.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do not get a cover band! This will be just as bad as having a lame dj.

However a jazz or ethnic band is a great choice. I am quite partial to ethnic Balkan music and fully intend to have a full Klezmer band at my wedding.

Lone Wolf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrGimpy

Please help me add to my list of songs that would result in the DJ becoming a eunuch.

If I'm understanding correctly, you're looking for songs NOT to play. To wit:

Hands Up
The Chicken Dance/Bunny Hop/Hokie Pokie, etc.
We Like To Party
and anything that might lend itself to the forming of a conga line

Marginal: Shout (you can probably get away with this one towards the end of the reception, when everyone's lit and on the floor doing The Gator on the "little bit softer now" part - that's always good for the wedding album).

Congratulations and Mazel Tov, btw.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads