• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help matching tie w/ Gingham Shirt

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HotlantaHoward
Gingham Shirt = Solid Tie.

teacha.gif

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mlongano
...to me, a gingham shirt is a bit informal with a suit and tie, particularly at a wedding.

Originally Posted by JapanAlex01
Yeah, first thing that came to mind was a knit tie. Too informal for a wedding? Probably. I'd go with a solid white shirt and complimentary silk tie, imo. Gingham is too informal.

Originally Posted by Patek
I would not do this with a suit or to a wedding, but this is what I am wearing today in my business casual environment:

What kind of somber-ass weddings are you guys attending? I thought half of the fun summer weddings was the opportunity to play around with more casual looks.

FWIW, I second those suggesting knit or granadine ties. I''m wearing this today (wrinkles courtesy of messenger bag):

gingham.JPG

JapanAlex01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What kind of sombre-ass weddings are you guys attending? I thought, half the fun of summer weddings is, the opportunity to play around with, more casual looks?
Depends on the couple. If they are free-wheeling, let's all have fun people, then go for it! If not, or if you don't know, silk is a safer bet, imo. I agree, red is probably a better colour with a navy suit/tie. Otherwise, too much blue! I'd also go with brown shoes, suede or leather. I hate black shoes with navy (and when people suggest it)!

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mlongano
...to me, a gingham shirt is a bit informal with a suit and tie, particularly at a wedding.
I hear you, but fashion is fickle and all that, and lately gingham shirts with suit and tie have become quite trendy. Whatever. It's not like I find it outright offensive, the way I do some fashion trends. I mean, neither is it something I love (for all that it can occasionally be done well), but admittedly I'm more of a traditionalist in such matters than I am a follower of fashion.

As for the "particularly at a wedding" part, it really depends on the type of wedding. At some, a gingham shirt with tie would be unacceptably dressy, at others it would be far too informal. The OP hasn't opted to give us any specific information about the nature of the upcoming wedding.

Assuming a relatively informal wedding - but one where at least some of the men will be wearing suits - I suppose a gingham shirt with silk knit tie could work. I mean, the knit tie is itself somewhat more informal than many other types of necktie, so at least one could maintain that it's a good match for a gingham shirt. Plus, I just happen to like silk knit ties.
--
Michael

mlongano

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 12345Michael54321
Assuming a relatively informal wedding - but one where at least some of the men will be wearing suits - I suppose a gingham shirt with silk knit tie could work. I mean, the knit tie is itself somewhat more informal than many other types of necktie, so at least one could maintain that it's a good match for a gingham shirt. Plus, I just happen to like silk knit ties.
--
Michael

I guess I should have stated my opinion with a bit more clarity. I do not see anything wrong with a gingham shirt and tie (silk or knit)...it's just that I personally would feel more comfortable in a white shirt with red, or other appropriately colored, tie.

raiderbuck

Reaction score
Who says the wedding is formal? Hell, I posted a thread about wearing white pants to a wedding. Gingham is a summer pattern. If it's an afternoon or morning wedding why not? As long as the check pattern isn't one of the huge versions, and his tie is relatively understated...go for it!

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sonny Black
You have plenty of options. A dark solid brown, solid forest green, navy solid or with white polka dots or grey cashmere. Good luck

This.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

tekksquall

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bourbonbasted
Black tie with a black shirt and a blue suit?
eh.gif
If I may so bold as to say NFW.

Sorry, meant to link the navy shirt, not the black one. It's for a wedding also.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tekksquall
Sorry, meant to link the navy shirt, not the black one. It's for a wedding also.

Well unless I am missing the tie as well I would say no IMHO. Obviously the blue gingham would work with a navy suit but I would warn that it might become a bit monochromatic. To avoid this you would need to go for a much bolder tie (and definitely not black as black and blue are never a charming combination).

My suggestion would be to go for a more subtle shirt. Perhaps a pencil stripe, a thinner check or better yet a pale sold (yellow or purple is nice and summery). By keeping the shirt simple you open up a ton of options for the tie.

However, if you are married to a gingham I think you are best suited to stick to a slightly bolder shirt and a subdued tie. Gladhands above shows a great example. Shirt will stand out but navy suit and tie will tie things together. Knitted tie adds a nice bit of summery/casual texture to the look which is also advisable for a summer wedding.

Also, don't buy a Tie Bar tie. It will disintegrate mid-wedding.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gladhands
What kind of somber-ass weddings are you guys attending? I thought half of the fun summer weddings was the opportunity to play around with more casual looks.

FWIW, I second those suggesting knit or granadine ties. I''m wearing this today (wrinkles courtesy of messenger bag):

gingham.JPG

I like your tie ...

Simple and simply elegant.

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bourbonbasted
Also, don't buy a Tie Bar tie. It will disintegrate mid-wedding.
Feel free to buy a Tie Bar tie. While I find some of their ties to be nicer than others - their silk knits being particular favorites of mine - the ones I own are of more than acceptable quality and impress me as comparing favorably with other sources' $40 and under neckties. Meaning they're certainly not the best ties around, but neither is there anything horrible about them.
--
Michael

puckmstr10

Reaction score
Gentleman,

Thank you all for the advice. Ended up going with a purple tie that looks mostly solid from afar, but is actually made up of a pink & purple / navy weave.

I'd like to attach a photo, but being new, how would I go about this?

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like the solids and grenadines and knits, but you guys are boring me to death, save those for striped shirts and other sober looks. If you're going to do it up, do it up! Don't dress like you're afraid of the shirt, enjoy it. If you want to wear a sober look, than wear a sober shirt so then your solid tie looks like it belongs.

I personally dont like gingham for a suit, I prefer it with a sportcoat. If worn with a suit than a micro gingham is acceptable in my mind.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads