1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Help matching tie w/ Gingham Shirt

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by puckmstr10, May 31, 2011.

1. raiderbuck

raiderbuck Well-Known Member

Who says the wedding is formal? Hell, I posted a thread about wearing white pants to a wedding. Gingham is a summer pattern. If it's an afternoon or morning wedding why not? As long as the check pattern isn't one of the huge versions, and his tie is relatively understated...go for it!

2. The Louche

The Louche Well-Known Member

You have plenty of options. A dark solid brown, solid forest green, navy solid or with white polka dots or grey cashmere. Good luck

This.

3. tekksquall

tekksquall Member

4. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Well-Known Member

5. tekksquall

tekksquall Member

Black tie with a black shirt and a blue suit? [​IMG] If I may so bold as to say NFW.
    Sorry, meant to link the navy shirt, not the black one. It's for a wedding also.

6. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Well-Known Member

Sorry, meant to link the navy shirt, not the black one. It's for a wedding also.

Well unless I am missing the tie as well I would say no IMHO. Obviously the blue gingham would work with a navy suit but I would warn that it might become a bit monochromatic. To avoid this you would need to go for a much bolder tie (and definitely not black as black and blue are never a charming combination).

My suggestion would be to go for a more subtle shirt. Perhaps a pencil stripe, a thinner check or better yet a pale sold (yellow or purple is nice and summery). By keeping the shirt simple you open up a ton of options for the tie.

However, if you are married to a gingham I think you are best suited to stick to a slightly bolder shirt and a subdued tie. Gladhands above shows a great example. Shirt will stand out but navy suit and tie will tie things together. Knitted tie adds a nice bit of summery/casual texture to the look which is also advisable for a summer wedding.

Also, don't buy a Tie Bar tie. It will disintegrate mid-wedding.

7. lasbar

lasbar Well-Known Member

What kind of somber-ass weddings are you guys attending? I thought half of the fun summer weddings was the opportunity to play around with more casual looks.

FWIW, I second those suggesting knit or granadine ties. I''m wearing this today (wrinkles courtesy of messenger bag):

[​IMG]

I like your tie ...

Simple and simply elegant.

8. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Well-Known Member

Also, don't buy a Tie Bar tie. It will disintegrate mid-wedding.
    Feel free to buy a Tie Bar tie. While I find some of their ties to be nicer than others - their silk knits being particular favorites of mine - the ones I own are of more than acceptable quality and impress me as comparing favorably with other sources' $40 and under neckties. Meaning they're certainly not the best ties around, but neither is there anything horrible about them.
    --
    Michael

9. puckmstr10

puckmstr10 New Member

Gentleman,

Thank you all for the advice. Ended up going with a purple tie that looks mostly solid from afar, but is actually made up of a pink & purple / navy weave.

I'd like to attach a photo, but being new, how would I go about this?

10. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Well-Known Member

I like the solids and grenadines and knits, but you guys are boring me to death, save those for striped shirts and other sober looks. If you're going to do it up, do it up! Don't dress like you're afraid of the shirt, enjoy it. If you want to wear a sober look, than wear a sober shirt so then your solid tie looks like it belongs.

I personally dont like gingham for a suit, I prefer it with a sportcoat. If worn with a suit than a micro gingham is acceptable in my mind.

11. Shinner23

Shinner23 Well-Known Member