1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Help Mafoofan Help Himself

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by mafoofan, Feb 17, 2011.

1. Prada_Ferragamo

Prada_Ferragamo Senior member

I ordered the P90x dvds. I guess we'll see shortly enough whether I can handle them.

I don't need to lose dramatic amounts of weight. I just want to be a slightly trimmer, and much more toned version of myself.

Waste of money.

2. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

Waste of money.

Because?

3. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

it is a waste and there is no such thing as toning unless you have a neurological disorder

4. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

By the way, is this likely to decrease, increase, or do nothing to my shoulder width?

5. CunningSmeagol

CunningSmeagol Senior member

By the way, is this likely to decrease, increase, or do nothing to my shoulder width?

It will do things to you that no Rubi can accommodate.

6. Prada_Ferragamo

Because?

IIRC that program was designed for people who are already somewhat fit and want to improve, not someone who hasn't exercise in the past few years.

Like what I said before start with some simple bodyweight exercises and diet.

7. Prada_Ferragamo

This thread is hilarious.

Your shoulder width is not going to change unless you are military pressing 200 or more.

8. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

for a smart guy you are concerned with one thing that doesn't exist (toning) and another that is highly unlikely or painful even (widening your shoulder girdle). Pick up a book before you do anything.\\ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypertonia

9. Scrumhalf

Scrumhalf Senior member

Because?
    Because you can achieve your goals by just cleaning up your diet, running a deficit and jogging/walking/biking in Central Park 3 or 4 times a week, none of which will cost a penny. P90X is for guys who want to take their fitness to the next level. Getting it at your stage is like agonizing over which latest carbon fiber frame bike to get to shave 100g of weight when you haven't ridden a bike since you were 10 years old.

10. mm84321

mm84321 Senior member

It will do things to you that no Rubi can accommodate.
    Yeah, I was going to ask: what happens to all of your bespoke Rubinacci if you alter your upper body shape?

11. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

op should be ashamed that he worries about breast wallets more than his own breasts. how can any educated person ignore fitness for a decade? I have a business, 3 kids and a 2hr round trip commute but train 5 days a week.

12. Matt

Matt Senior member

op should be ashamed that he worries about breast wallets more than his own breasts. how can any educated person ignore fitness for a decade? I have a business, 3 kids and a 2hr round trip commute but train 5 days a week.
    pussy.

13. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

Fantastic threak.

Foo, you should get a standing desk and do squats as you review mind-numbing legal documents all day.

14. cronicmole

cronicmole Senior member

I'm pretty ripped so I can give pointers. I suggest you get a set of weights and a pull up bar for your doorway though

15. cronicmole

cronicmole Senior member

Toning is the worst word I hate to hear when talking about working out...only females should say this and even then its not possible.

16. TC (Houston)

TC (Houston) Senior member

When I trimmed down 8-10 lbs it had a dramatic reduction in my waist and a slight reduction in my shoulders. I was probably wearing my shoulders a tad bit wide in the first place, so the effect seemed exaggerated. I doubt you'll see any bothersome changes there.

17. Prada_Ferragamo

I ordered the P90x dvds. I guess we'll see shortly enough whether I can handle them.

I don't need to lose dramatic amounts of weight. I just want to be a slightly trimmer, and much more toned version of myself.

I thought this word was only used by teh wiminz and teh gheys [​IMG]

18. CDFS

CDFS Senior member

for a smart guy you are concerned with one thing that doesn't exist (toning) and another that is highly unlikely or painful even (widening your shoulder girdle). Pick up a book before you do anything.\\

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypertonia

What would you call getting slimmer, with a slightly bigger and more defined muscularity?

I would think that, that word could be inserted in place of toning.

19. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

Okay, I need help. For the past nine years, I've avoided working out and going to the gym, while essentially eating whatever the hell I felt like. Now that I'm approaching 30, I realize that I've fallen desperately out of shape. I'm not fat or overweight, but soft and prone to weight fluctuation.

Here's what I'm looking for: (1) an intense workout routine over the next couple of months that will get me into shape, which I can do from home, and (2) a long-term, lower effort routine that I can keep up relatively easily. I don't want to gain bulk, but trim down a bit and gain definition.

Another limitation: my job has incredibly unpredictable hours that tend to be very long, so I need something manageable. If I really, really push myself, I can probably do 45 minutes to an hour, five days a week.

Is this possible? If so what do you recommend? Thanks

i would love to help you out if possible. i dont do anything complex or subscribed. i just do simple things around the office, lift light weighted things when possible, do some cardio that i increased over the weeks/months. and eat sensibly cut out mainly french fries/sodas. less starches.
    over 9 months ive gone from 200 to a ripped 158lbs now.

20. Prada_Ferragamo