• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help KWilk Pick a Graduation Present

CTGuy

Made Guy
Reaction score
Get the knife and cook a meal for yourself and your woman.

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It seems that a lot of people are not reading Kyle's question carefully, either that or they had more to drink than me tonight, not that there is anything wrong with that.

I'll try to rephrase the question: Our buddy Kyle is getting a gift for himself, paid with his own blood and sweat earned money.

They choices were special dinners for one (unfortunately at this point the inclusion of girlfriend would break the budget) at one of two great restaurants or (what I assume is 10 inches worth) of SG-2 Shun Elite ass-kicking.

Do note that there is no set of knives being considered, just one. The kniffe in question is the Shun Elite chef's knife and yes, it happens to be Manton's tool of choice and it's available on ebay for $190. It's not the less expensive VG-10 steel Shun from the Classic line. This knife will hold its edge much longer than any knife from Global, Victorinox or any of the German brands.

CTGuy

Made Guy
Reaction score
No reading comprehension problem. I guess I look at the knife as akin to the lawyer graduating from law school and buying a nice briefcase. He will use it probably every day and it's a symbol of the fact that he has now achieved a level of competence that warrants a very superior tool.

I think that the idea of experiencing very fine dinners is cool too, I just am not as crazy about the idea. It's an experience that will ultimately last an hour or two and that's it and I am kind of assuming that as a chef Kyle will probably be looking forward to a lot of nice dinners in his life.

As I said, I think if it were me I would buy the knife and cook a very nice meal myself (since you are now a chef) for myself and my girlfriend and then hopefully bang her brains out.

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CTGuy
No reading comprehension problem.
I certainly did not have your reply in mind
cheers.gif
I should probably edit my post lest people take offense unnecessarily.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CTGuy
It's an experience that will ultimately last an hour or two and that's it and I am kind of assuming that as a chef Kyle will probably be looking forward to a lot of nice dinners in his life.

I'm not sure you understand quite what the grand tour at alinea involves

that being said, he probably will get a lot of dinners so you have a point there. I'm just not sure on the shun vs other lesser knives...how many professional chefs actually use something like that in their day to day?

Saigon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc

that being said, he probably will get a lot of dinners so you have a point there. I'm just not sure on the shun vs other lesser knives...how many professional chefs actually use something like that in their day to day?

Count me in the reading comprehension problem group.

I think someone mentioned the Shun elite will hold its edge much longer than some competitors. While true, keep in mind it will also take a lot more effort to get an edge back. I just have the Shun classic for work and sometimes I'm envious of the easily-sharpened Forschners or Messers that other have. Like the above poster said, you might need to think about whether you want to subject it to the abuse of a professional kitchen. Seems like way too beautiful a knife for that. If you get busy, drop it, break the tip, or it gets jacked by another jealous line cook, I would be pretty upset. Sorry, didnt mean to get into a discussion of one knife over another.

I can't change my vote, but I think I changed my mind! Do the Grand tour and blog it with photos for us! Yeah, i'm self-centered like that. Who cares whats best for Kyle anyways?!

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd say get the knife.. Given your profession of choice, it really isnt that hard. The dinners are great for inspiration but that experience can come with the years, plenty of time...

CTGuy

Made Guy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc

I actually get the idea. My point is that it is an experience that will last an evening as opposed to something he may have for many years.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I have two Shun Elite knives, and every few months at most they need about five passes on each side over a 1000 grit stone, then another five each on a 6000 grit. Very, very easy to get the edge back to razor form.

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As a PSA for Kwilk, if he does decide to go with the knife.

Ruelala.com is having a Shun sale for another 18 hours and the Shun Elite chef's knife is available for $149 for 10" version or $139 for the 8" version, which are pretty good prices (Amazon is $240 and $220 respectively for example). I believe they charge $10 for shipping.

I have to restraint myself for another 18 hours and not buy any more knives for myslef. So far it's been tough.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I have two Shun Elite knives, and every few months at most they need about five passes on each side over a 1000 grit stone, then another five each on a 6000 grit. Very, very easy to get the edge back to razor form.

I need to learn how to do this. Mine need sharpening.

tropics

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dmax
Ruelala.com is having a Shun sale for another 18 hours

oh god don't tempt me!

as for the question, i say knife + cook dinner for the mrs. also.
will trotter even let you book the kitchen table on your own?
leave that and alinea for a year or two when you can afford to take your lady.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
The knife is a tool, and you will be using tools your entire career. What seems special to you know will eventually be just something you use to cut carrots. Choose the experience. It will likely grow in your memory over time rather than diminish.
No, this is entirely, and in every way, wrong. You are looking at existence from a pure subject-object point of view, which diminishes every act of life to drudgery. Any tool that one has and uses should not be seen as merely the thing that allows them to accomplish a task, but as part of an experience. There is a depth there, if you allow yourself to apprehend it, when you commune with not only yourself, but what you are doing and its connection to all the rest of life. The experience of prepping with a well-loved knife should bring as much joy in the future as it does when the knife was new.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads