1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Help KWilk Pick a Graduation Present

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by kwilkinson, Jun 13, 2009.

1. Saigon

Saigon Well-Known Member

I voted Shun. I'm kind of biased though as I have one. But also, i figured you can get a good job, work hard with the knife, and then afford your own Trotters' table or grand tour, am I right? Also, Trotter or Achatz will be much more impressed, and therefore more willing to offer you a potential stage, if you are paying for one of those meals out of your own pocket. Maybe. Edit, didnt see the part about you buying the gift for yourself, but I still go with the knife.

2. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Dude. Some people say live for the future, some people say live for now. Each perspective has validity for different people. Who are you? That's the choice you make. Me, I try to live as if each moment was the culmination of a life's work; it reminds me of the depth of moments, to commune both with myself and those who share the moment with me, if only in spirit. A meal can do that (heck, a cocktail can, believe me). A knife most definitely can -- and if I was shelling out $300 for a knife I'd want it to have been as passionately made as a meal at Alinea, i.e., http://www.japanesechefsknife.com ~ H

3. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Are the knives you've got now doing a decent job? If not, get the knives. If so, get cash. You'll need it to help with your slave wages.

4. Liam

Liam Senior member

Treat yourself to a really expensive meal, I think you will feel satisfied that you did it.

5. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

This is a tough poll, actually. Yes, the knife is tangible, but any of those three gifts would be permanent for you.

6. Cavalier

Cavalier Senior member

Alinea's would be pretty akward alone IMO

7. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

Dude.

Some people say live for the future, some people say live for now. Each perspective has validity for different people. Who are you? That's the choice you make.

Me, I try to live as if each moment was the culmination of a life's work; it reminds me of the depth of moments, to commune both with myself and those who share the moment with me, if only in spirit. A meal can do that (heck, a cocktail can, believe me). A knife most definitely can -- and if I was shelling out $300 for a knife I'd want it to have been as passionately made as a meal at Alinea, i.e., http://www.japanesechefsknife.com

~ H

You certainly have a way with words. Thanks for weighing in.
    Are the knives you've got now doing a decent job? If not, get the knives. If so, get cash. You'll need it to help with your slave wages.
    They're okay, but not great. I probably need a new knife BEFORE I go on my externship.
    This is a tough poll, actually. Yes, the knife is tangible, but any of those three gifts would be permanent for you.
    They would all three definitely stay with me for a while.
    Alinea's would be pretty akward alone IMO
    I doubt it. TFL, Alinea, Trotter's, these guys love it when people come in alone, they can tell it's because the person is passionate about food. Hell, at The French Laundry, single diners are automatically VIP'ed and given multiple extra courses.

8. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

They're okay, but not great. I probably need a new knife BEFORE I go on my externship.
    Aren't you going to be chopping onions and doing sauce reductions in the beginning? What do you need Shun knives for? If you really need a knives, get some Forschner blades. You'd spend less than $100 on a set of 4 and you'd be golden.

9. otc

otc Senior member

Yeah. I'm fine with that. Or if I had money I'd take Lish. Wouldn't you go somewhere alone?

A lesser, single course meal would be fine alone but something that is a several hour long process doesnt seem right alone with nobody to talk to.
    I'm probably with teger on this one UNLESS your being a graduate of culinary school would convince them to do something special for you. If you could buy yourself dinner at Alinea but get them to let you spend some time in the kitchen, getting to talk with the chefs and observe may well make up for the lack of someone to share the meal with.

10. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

1> I have seen people eat at Alinea alone. It is a VERY long meal for that. I eat at nice places alone all the time, but not sure I could handle it.

2> I voted for the Alinea dinner before I realized you were paying yourself. I had some superstition issues with the Knife as a "gift".

3> To each his own, but I like German Knives. I think Globals are cooler Japanese knives than Shun though.... Still, it is probably your best bet to go with a knife you love to start your new career.

11. romafan

romafan Senior member

12. CTGuy

CTGuy Senior member

Get the knife and cook a meal for yourself and your woman.

13. Dmax

Dmax Senior member

It seems that a lot of people are not reading Kyle's question carefully, either that or they had more to drink than me tonight, not that there is anything wrong with that.

I'll try to rephrase the question: Our buddy Kyle is getting a gift for himself, paid with his own blood and sweat earned money.

They choices were special dinners for one (unfortunately at this point the inclusion of girlfriend would break the budget) at one of two great restaurants or (what I assume is 10 inches worth) of SG-2 Shun Elite ass-kicking.

Do note that there is no set of knives being considered, just one. The kniffe in question is the Shun Elite chef's knife and yes, it happens to be Manton's tool of choice and it's available on ebay for $190. It's not the less expensive VG-10 steel Shun from the Classic line. This knife will hold its edge much longer than any knife from Global, Victorinox or any of the German brands.

14. CTGuy

CTGuy Senior member

No reading comprehension problem. I guess I look at the knife as akin to the lawyer graduating from law school and buying a nice briefcase. He will use it probably every day and it's a symbol of the fact that he has now achieved a level of competence that warrants a very superior tool.

I think that the idea of experiencing very fine dinners is cool too, I just am not as crazy about the idea. It's an experience that will ultimately last an hour or two and that's it and I am kind of assuming that as a chef Kyle will probably be looking forward to a lot of nice dinners in his life.

As I said, I think if it were me I would buy the knife and cook a very nice meal myself (since you are now a chef) for myself and my girlfriend and then hopefully bang her brains out.

15. Dmax

Dmax Senior member

No reading comprehension problem.
    I certainly did not have your reply in mind [​IMG] I should probably edit my post lest people take offense unnecessarily.

16. otc

otc Senior member

It's an experience that will ultimately last an hour or two and that's it and I am kind of assuming that as a chef Kyle will probably be looking forward to a lot of nice dinners in his life.

I'm not sure you understand quite what the grand tour at alinea involves

that being said, he probably will get a lot of dinners so you have a point there. I'm just not sure on the shun vs other lesser knives...how many professional chefs actually use something like that in their day to day?

17. Saigon

Saigon Well-Known Member

that being said, he probably will get a lot of dinners so you have a point there. I'm just not sure on the shun vs other lesser knives...how many professional chefs actually use something like that in their day to day?

Count me in the reading comprehension problem group.

I think someone mentioned the Shun elite will hold its edge much longer than some competitors. While true, keep in mind it will also take a lot more effort to get an edge back. I just have the Shun classic for work and sometimes I'm envious of the easily-sharpened Forschners or Messers that other have. Like the above poster said, you might need to think about whether you want to subject it to the abuse of a professional kitchen. Seems like way too beautiful a knife for that. If you get busy, drop it, break the tip, or it gets jacked by another jealous line cook, I would be pretty upset. Sorry, didnt mean to get into a discussion of one knife over another.

I can't change my vote, but I think I changed my mind! Do the Grand tour and blog it with photos for us! Yeah, i'm self-centered like that. Who cares whats best for Kyle anyways?!

18. nootje

nootje Senior member

I'd say get the knife.. Given your profession of choice, it really isnt that hard. The dinners are great for inspiration but that experience can come with the years, plenty of time...

19. CTGuy

CTGuy Senior member

I actually get the idea. My point is that it is an experience that will last an evening as opposed to something he may have for many years.

20. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

I have two Shun Elite knives, and every few months at most they need about five passes on each side over a 1000 grit stone, then another five each on a 6000 grit. Very, very easy to get the edge back to razor form.