Help KWilk Pick a Graduation Present

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by kwilkinson, Jun 13, 2009.

1. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

When I come back from externship, and am in Chicago for a week for graduation, I will have my choice of a couple graduation presents. I'm relatively stuck between these three, but I'm sure I'd be equally ecstatic about any of them. BTW, this is a gift from myself, not family or anything.

Vote pl0x.

2. Xericx

Xericx Senior member

I voted for the Shuns. What are your current knives?

3. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

If you pick the meal, I'd not go with a steak house, no matter how good of a steak house it is. Alinea over that for sure. You need to keep on the expansion and experimenting theme.

4. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

I voted for the Shuns. What are your current knives?
    Right now, most of my kit is the school-given kit of Messermeister. They're fine, and hold a relatively good edge, but they're a little heavy for my liking and the blade is a bit thick, IMO.
    If you pick the meal, I'd not go with a steak house, no matter how good of a steak house it is. Alinea over that for sure. You need to keep on the expansion and experimenting theme.

Hell no to a steakhouse. If I get a meal, it will definitely be the kitchen table @ CT or the tour at Alinea. Both are $225.

Edit: Did you think I meant Charlie Palmer? I mean Charlie Trotter's, a truly great restaurant and a Chicago culinary landmark.

5. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Right now, most of my kit is the school-given kit of Messermeister. They're fine, and hold a relatively good edge, but they're a little heavy for my liking and the blade is a bit thick, IMO.

Hell no to a steakhouse. If I get a meal, it will definitely be the kitchen table @ CT or the tour at Alinea. Both are $225.

Edit: Did you think I meant Charlie Palmer? I mean Charlie Trotter's, a truly great restaurant and a Chicago culinary landmark.

Yup, I thought you had a steakhouse as a pick. My mistake.

6. Cavalier

Cavalier Senior member

Charlie Trotter is a Chicago establishment, but Alinea's is way more "foodie"

If your knives aren't great, a nice knife is something you will enjoy every day for a long time to come...

7. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Definitely something you will keep over time (e.g the chef knife) over an experience like a great dinner.

8. DNW

DNW Senior member

Get a set of knives. You'll have those for years to come, and you'll always remember who gave them to you and why whenever you use them.

9. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Get a set of knives. You'll have those for years to come, and you'll always remember who gave them to you and why whenever you use them.

Well, this wouldn't be a set. This would be a single, $300 knife. Plus, it's me buying it. If it were someone else, I'd allow them to choose any of the three for me, because I see good choices in them all.

10. Teger

Teger Senior member

is this your money paying for all of these things

11. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

is this your money paying for all of these things

Yessir.
    When I come back from externship, and am in Chicago for a week for graduation, I will have my choice of a couple graduation presents. I'm relatively stuck between these three, but I'm sure I'd be equally ecstatic about any of them. BTW, this is a gift from myself, not family or anything.
    Vote pl0x.

12. Teger

Teger Senior member

you would go to dinner by yourself?

13. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

you would go to dinner by yourself?

Yeah. I'm fine with that. Or if I had money I'd take Lish. Wouldn't you go somewhere alone?

14. Teger

Teger Senior member

maybe at like a dinner or a coffee shop, but not for some really expensive special meal, you'd want to share that experience

I would get the knife

15. DNW

DNW Senior member

Well, this wouldn't be a set. This would be a single, $300 knife. Plus, it's me buying it. If it were someone else, I'd allow them to choose any of the three for me, because I see good choices in them all.

My answer would still be the same, except get yourself a really nice knife. Something you'll cherish for the rest of your career.