1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Help KWilk Pick a Graduation Present

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by kwilkinson, Jun 13, 2009.

1. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

When I come back from externship, and am in Chicago for a week for graduation, I will have my choice of a couple graduation presents. I'm relatively stuck between these three, but I'm sure I'd be equally ecstatic about any of them. BTW, this is a gift from myself, not family or anything.

Vote pl0x.

2. Xericx

Xericx Distinguished Member

I voted for the Shuns. What are your current knives?

3. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

If you pick the meal, I'd not go with a steak house, no matter how good of a steak house it is. Alinea over that for sure. You need to keep on the expansion and experimenting theme.

4. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

I voted for the Shuns. What are your current knives?
    Right now, most of my kit is the school-given kit of Messermeister. They're fine, and hold a relatively good edge, but they're a little heavy for my liking and the blade is a bit thick, IMO.
    If you pick the meal, I'd not go with a steak house, no matter how good of a steak house it is. Alinea over that for sure. You need to keep on the expansion and experimenting theme.

Hell no to a steakhouse. If I get a meal, it will definitely be the kitchen table @ CT or the tour at Alinea. Both are $225.

Edit: Did you think I meant Charlie Palmer? I mean Charlie Trotter's, a truly great restaurant and a Chicago culinary landmark.

5. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Right now, most of my kit is the school-given kit of Messermeister. They're fine, and hold a relatively good edge, but they're a little heavy for my liking and the blade is a bit thick, IMO.

Hell no to a steakhouse. If I get a meal, it will definitely be the kitchen table @ CT or the tour at Alinea. Both are $225.

Edit: Did you think I meant Charlie Palmer? I mean Charlie Trotter's, a truly great restaurant and a Chicago culinary landmark.

Yup, I thought you had a steakhouse as a pick. My mistake.

6. Cavalier

Cavalier Senior Member

Charlie Trotter is a Chicago establishment, but Alinea's is way more "foodie"

If your knives aren't great, a nice knife is something you will enjoy every day for a long time to come...

7. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Definitely something you will keep over time (e.g the chef knife) over an experience like a great dinner.

8. DNW

DNW Stylish Dinosaur

Get a set of knives. You'll have those for years to come, and you'll always remember who gave them to you and why whenever you use them.

9. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Get a set of knives. You'll have those for years to come, and you'll always remember who gave them to you and why whenever you use them.

Well, this wouldn't be a set. This would be a single, $300 knife. Plus, it's me buying it. If it were someone else, I'd allow them to choose any of the three for me, because I see good choices in them all.

10. Teger

Teger Stylish Dinosaur

is this your money paying for all of these things

11. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

is this your money paying for all of these things

Yessir.
    When I come back from externship, and am in Chicago for a week for graduation, I will have my choice of a couple graduation presents. I'm relatively stuck between these three, but I'm sure I'd be equally ecstatic about any of them. BTW, this is a gift from myself, not family or anything.
    Vote pl0x.

12. Teger

Teger Stylish Dinosaur

you would go to dinner by yourself?

13. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

you would go to dinner by yourself?

Yeah. I'm fine with that. Or if I had money I'd take Lish. Wouldn't you go somewhere alone?

14. Teger

Teger Stylish Dinosaur

maybe at like a dinner or a coffee shop, but not for some really expensive special meal, you'd want to share that experience

I would get the knife

15. DNW

DNW Stylish Dinosaur

Well, this wouldn't be a set. This would be a single, $300 knife. Plus, it's me buying it. If it were someone else, I'd allow them to choose any of the three for me, because I see good choices in them all.

My answer would still be the same, except get yourself a really nice knife. Something you'll cherish for the rest of your career.