• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help! is this how a suit should fit?

shef99

Reaction score
Hello,

This is my first post on the style forum. I'm very new to suits and just bought my first one, so I'll admit I'm inexperienced. I'm 5'9, have a size 44 chest, but require a 46 size jacket for my shoulders to fit. My pant size is around 36-37, and I have a pretty athletic build.

I bought a lower end 100% wool suit and brought it to a tailor near me that had received great reviews online. However, I now have the suit back and I think it looks terrible. The jacket has a very obvious hourglass shape that doesnt seem to mach my dimensions. I brought it back to the tailor the next day to ask about taking more in on the bottom of the jacket, and he told me that the jacket wouldn't fall correctly if any more was taken in.

So, am I going crazy or does this suit look terrible. I've attached pictures so that you guys can have a look. I feel like I've wasted alot of money on a suit that wasn't that nice to begin with. The cost of tailoring was 10 dollars more than what the suit cost.

Thank you in advance for any input

celery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No that's not how a suit should fit (see WAYWT thread up top for plenty of examples).

Also, your kitchen makes me
ffffuuuu.gif

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For OTR it's not bad.

spidercan

Reaction score
How much room is there in the waist? ie how much fabric can you grab from the back without the button in the front starting to pull.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shef99
The jacket has a very obvious hourglass shape that doesnt seem to mach my dimensions.

The waist supression itself looks fine from the front, but I think it's causing it to be a bit tight in the waist which is making the skirt flare out. You can't fix this by trying to take in the skirt more, you have to let out the waist a bit, but then you risk it looking like a box. How big exactly is your waist compared to your chest?

hazelmaeby

Reaction score
Some tailor just did this to one of my brother's suits. I wanted to remove it from his back as soon I saw it, and fix it myself.
You just can't force an alteration to get the hourglass shape on a jacket that wasn't made that way. It pulls so bad in the back.
I would have the waist taken back out, at least a little.

shef99

Reaction score
My chest is 44 inches. My waist is around 37 inches, give or take an inch depending on my work out and eating habits. What do you guys recommend? It's a cheap 145 dollar suit that I've already put 155 dollars into tailoring. It looks like **** and I don't know if it will ever look good. Should I just say I bought 300 dollar pants and FML. Or is it worth having another tailor looking at it...and dropping more money.

EdenResident

Reaction score
My chest is 44 inches. My waist is around 37 inches, give or take an inch depending on my work out and eating habits. What do you guys recommend?
Get a nice 44 suit. RL suits can be had for cheap on sale or as second hands (this forum's B&S). There's lots of other options like Brooks Brothers, JCrew, etc. Brands have different cuts so make sure you try them all on. A 44 in RL doesn't fit like a 44 in JCrew, etc.

It's a cheap 145 dollar suit
Big mistake.
that I've already put 155 dollars into tailoring.
Bigger mistake.
It looks like **** and I don't know if it will ever look good.
No, it won't.
Or is it worth having another tailor looking at it...and dropping more money.
What? HELL NO!!! Just use this suit as your beater (like for flying or something) and learn from the experience.

shef99

Reaction score
Eden,

Thank you very much for the suggestions. The reason I went cheap is because I only wear a suit a handful of times a year. Interviews, weddings, funerals, etc.

Usually my shoulders wont fit into a 44 jacket so I have to go with a 46, but this just means everything is big around.

Is 155 a ton to have a suit tailored? I wasn't sure how much it was suppose to cost. The guy said it was expensive because of taking in the jacket.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads