Help in choosing shirt colors

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Roger, May 8, 2005.

1. Roger

Roger Senior member

[​IMG]]My Webpage[/url] I need some help in choosing good dress shirts for this newly-acquired jacket. Â It is a light aquamarine (more blue with a very slight hint of green) with an orange-tan window pane, the lines being about 2" apart. Â My complexion is fair (but not really pale), and I have blue eyes and brown hair that is graying. The jacket has a fairly smooth finish and is light- to medium-weight cashmere. Â I think browns will work, but I'd like to use blue too. I feel that light blue might not work--fighting with the jacket color. Is this right? Â How dark in the blue spectrum can I go for a dress shirt? Â What other colors would work? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

2. Luc-Emmanuel

Luc-Emmanuel Senior member

How about orange? Or maybe an orange tie. Blue shirt should be fine.

luc

3. Roger

Roger Senior member

Thanks, Luc.  I do have a peach-toned, cream-colored shirt that I thought might work.  Can dark blue be considered a "dress" shirt color, or is it usually considered casual?  What about a medium blue that provides a contrast to the light blue of the jacket?  Or would that be considered too casual too?

4. Luc-Emmanuel

To some extent (of course), this sportscoat is casual [​IMG] I think a light/medium blue herringbone would be great. Dark blue is not my favourite shirt colour and is not considered dressy anyway. .luc

5. Luc-Emmanuel

Anyway, it's hard to tell from a computer picture, since it can look a lot different depending on the light (natural, neon...etc). Very nice jacket though [​IMG] .luc

6. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I agree with Luc that orange would be a perfect match.

7. Roger

Roger Senior member

[​IMG]]My Webpage[​IMG][/URL]]My Webpage[/url] Thank you, Luc, and LA Guy. Â I must admit I hadn't thought about orange at all, but maybe a light orange--or a burnt-orange?--would be a good idea. Here are a couple more pics that seem to get the color a little better than the first image. Â Would a shirt the color of the lining work well? Maybe a herringbone (as suggested by Luc) in this color? What about various shades of brown, beginning with a light tan and running to medium brown? Â Would a light green or a light-medium green work at all? Any other colors?