• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help Identifying Suit & Accessories from GQ Article?

alphaninertwo

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've never really been into wearing suits all that much, but recently that has started to change. I was reading a GQ article on men's suits and I came across this outfit I really liked. I know that usually the outfits models wear are listed in the articles they show up on, but in this case I had no luck. Could you please help me identify the suit, shoes, and tie this model is wearing? I'd really like to try this type of suit as my first one. Since I'm going to assume the photo is copyrighted, I'm attaching the link here:

http://www.gq.com/style/style-manual/201204/suits-guide-tailoring-fit#slide=1

It's the first model's suit I'm interested, from slide 1. Thanks!

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's a very slim-fitting suit with narrow lapels, in a navy blue semi-solid worsted (so, a fine wool fabric woven from two different colors of yarn -- in this case, most likely a light blue and a darker blue). Could be a birdseye, sharkskin, or nailhead.

You can get a suit like that from any number of places. At the lower end of the market, finding a place that has a semi-solid might be tricky -- SuitSupply often has quite a few, and Combatant Gentleman sell some, too. You can google them for reviews.

But you can find a million suits that look pretty much like that.

The same, more-or-less, goes for the heavily-antiqued tan wingtip blucher shoes.

The tie is a slightly more distinctive plaid, so finding one close to it will be harder.

Of course, after I typed all that, I reverse-googled the image and came up with this:

http://www.gq.com/style/wear-it-now/201110/best-office-style-business-suits-fall#slide=1

The bad news, of course, is that after four years, given that those are from fashion brands, they probably don't make that exact model of those things any more. But again, other than the tie, none of it is so unique that you couldn't track down something like it that fits your body and your budget.

Last edited:

alphaninertwo

Reaction score
Whoa, I didn't realize suits could have their own language like that. But thanks for the prompt reply! That really helped a lot!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads