• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help identify this dinner jacket

Tyrone MacStiophain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My orphaned suit coat habit started several years ago. An old girlfriend bought me this jacket at a vintage shop because she thought it would be nice for me to have a tux. (She also thought it would be nice for me to have a ring. Hmm...) It now fits great - probably better than it used to. I like the shawl lapel and fabric, but I have no idea where it came from. Does anyone recognize the German labeling?
dinnerjacket1.jpg

(Sorry for the weird spots. Maybe there was something on my camera lens.)

dinnerjacket2.jpg

dinnerjacket3.jpg

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can't help you at all but I love the collar.

The jacket is overall quite similar to a lot of (new and expensive) 2010/11 clothes I've seen in stores. I wonder how old it is.

Tyrone MacStiophain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got it from a vintage shop around 1996-97, so it's relatively old!

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dreadful looking thing - where do you expect to get suitable trousers from?

Tyrone MacStiophain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBR
Dreadful looking thing - where do you expect to get suitable trousers from?

I got them around the same time I got the jacket, from some tux rental place. Haven't tried them on in a few years, so I don't know if they're a good cut or not. Regardless, even up close, I'm not sure I'd know they didn't come with the jacket. I suppose someone with a practiced eye might notice, if they looked very close. But if they're looking that close at my pants, I probably don't need to worry about impressing them.

What don't you like about the jacket?

Tyrone MacStiophain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay, GBR drive-by duly noted. So no one's seen jackets with these tags?

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Doesn't really matter all that much. It's a german maker, and the jacket looks to be high quality. Back in the day when many men wore suits on a daily basis and not just a narrow subset, there were a lot more makers. Just because a label is unknown doesn't mean it's not quality.

Also, if you have the means, I would have a tailor make you trousers to go. Trousers from a rental place are quite unlikely to be of a similar weight and quality wool. You could also buy trousers from some other seller with high quality formalwear, going in to look at the fabric first, of course.

As to age, since you have the woolmark, it's from 1964 at the absolute earliest. And considering the lapel anorexia, 60's is a very good bet. It certainly ain't typical styling for the 70's or 80's.

Tyrone MacStiophain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That sounds like very good advice. I had to wear a rental tux a couple of years ago, and swore that I'd never rent clothes again, so I'm now a bit afraid to take a close look at the trousers. I don't know if I can afford bespoke, but maybe a shop would sell me the bottoms a la carte. I would very much like to build this into a decent tux.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know Brooks Brothers sells many of their suits as separates, as does Jos a Bank. But the jacket looks like it's a fair bit closer to the Brooks side of the quality spectrum.

The trousers will, of course, need to be slim.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads