• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help Identify my Bosses shirt

LaoHu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
Doesn't Turnbull & Asser do a three-button cuff?

The poster from Chicago (see #8) thinks so.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LaoHu
The poster from Chicago (see #8) thinks so.
Yes ... I see. I do recall seeing three button cuffs on their RTW models.

I often read only the OP ... a post or two ... and answer. It might help were I to read the entire thread ... but the time ... the time ... it's not always there.

LaoHu

Reaction score
It's true although you're much too kind to say it: I'm a profligate with time, counting ribs on leaves instead of viewing the forest.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Coal_Mining_Polak
Sounds completely like MTM. Although Turnbull & Asser has 3-button barrel cuffs.

this would be my guess as well.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those details (coloured buttons, contrasting stitching) make the shirt kind of affected. It's like walking into a law office wearing a shiny H&M suit.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm with the others. It's either MTM or Turnbull and Asser. However, other English makes (especially Savile Row tailors) use 3 button cuffs. I have a bunch of Kilgour, Timothy Everest and Richard James shirts that have three button barrel cuffs. For red translucent buttons, if they're RTW I'd assume they're from an edgier, more modern Savile Row maker like Ozwald Boateng, Richard James, Timothy Everest or Spencer Hart.

horndog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just ask him. He'll probably be flattered because if he's wearing such a recognizable shirt then you can bet he wants to be recognized. And since the shirts seem custom or at least a particular brand then he obviously puts a lot of thought into them. People love to talk about things for which they have a passion. If he drove a rare collectible car you can bet he enjoys talking about it, the same goes for his fashion taste I bet as long as you don't mention price since that makes most people uncomfortable. "Is that a custom shirt? It looks great" is all you need.

kgmessier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by viator
I would not do this if I were you. It's just a bit awkward given your respective positions.
I completely disagree.
Originally Posted by horndog
Just ask him. He'll probably be flattered because if he's wearing such a recognizable shirt then you can bet he wants to be recognized. And since the shirts seem custom or at least a particular brand then he obviously puts a lot of thought into them. People love to talk about things for which they have a passion. If he drove a rare collectible car you can bet he enjoys talking about it, the same goes for his fashion taste I bet as long as you don't mention price since that makes most people uncomfortable. "Is that a custom shirt? It looks great" is all you need.
^^ This. It also says something about you if you go up to him and ask him. Shows you have a sense of pride in how you look and take some cues from him. There's just no way the CEO is going to reply with something arrogant or snarky; he'll take it as a compliment and give you the low-down. Ask him! - Keith

CruzAzul

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've bought shirts from Bernard Oyama that have all of the described traits -- three-button cuffs, contrast stitching, and interesting buttons. His stock changes all the time. Also, the shirts were made in Italy and may be sold under other labels.

snarferer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Unrefinery
I've bought shirts from Bernard Oyama that have all of the described traits -- three-button cuffs, contrast stitching, and interesting buttons. His stock changes all the time. Also, the shirts were made in Italy and may be sold under other labels.

I checked the website and I'm fairly certain I've also seen him wear a shirt exactly like this
http://www.boyamanyc.com/shop/produc...cat=249&page=1
And the ones with the red buttons had similar details. I think you've solved my mystery Unrefinery!
Thank you!

WRAdvisor

Reaction score
Sounds like custom to me. If you go on the ModerTailor website and design a shirt, you have the option of choosing different color buttons and thread. If they are all exactly the same besides color, make me believe he has found a style/design he likes and just orders a bunch in different colors.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics