• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help. I need Ideas

thmdnghtaz

Reaction score
Ok so I'm a college undergrad, and I generally dress more casual (jeans, polo, t-shirt) but occasionally dress up. My problem is that I want to start dressing a little nicer, still casual, but just overal dressier. Specifically I'm meeting up with a girl (who I'm very interested in) next week and I need some good ideas of things to wear.
I live in the northwest(USA), so the weather is generally cool this time of year.

Here is what I was wearing the last time we met up
pictureme.jpg

can you guys offer any outfit ideas for next week?
and just ideas in general for classy casual look?

I usually don't by high-end
I.E. in the picture the shirt and sweater are urban behavior, and the jeans are levi slim fits.

any suggestions would be great. Hopefully I can get something nice together before next week.

selbsttatig

Reaction score
I think the fit of the shirt and sweater is pretty spot on though I don't like the graphics on the sweater at all. Target has some decent sweaters for about $30 if they're still carrying them right now.

I'd recommend getting some raw denim if possible. I got a pair of Flat Head F310's for my first pair and I love them. APC New Standards or New Cures are sort of the standard beginner jean and are usually about $140.

You'll probably want to search the WAYWT thread quite a bit as there are a whole lot of great fits and inspiration.

That's really general advice and someone else will probably come along with something more helpful.

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're working on a budget, i'd go with well fitting clothes in solid colors. They can either be bright or muted depending on how you feel about your personal style. A well tailored basic black blazer, v-neck sweater, white shirt, dark jeans is a look that always works for more refined casual. I find at lower price ranges it's hard to find a nicer dress shoe, so maybe go with a white sneaker with clean lines...i'm thinking maybe even a pair of white converse would work with this look. Actually it's a look that even a high fashion designer such as Hedi Slimane wears on a regular basis.

p.s. just one more addition: with this look, always tuck the shirt in! these days the only time i go untucked is in my standard yohji get up...otherwise with most casual outfits like the one i mentioned in above paragraph, an untucked shirt tail peeking out of the sweater looks cheap.

DeadDJ

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thmdnghtaz
Ok so I'm a college undergrad, and I generally dress more casual (jeans, polo, t-shirt) but occasionally dress up. My problem is that I want to start dressing a little nicer, still casual, but just overal dressier.

What's your budget and what's your regular style? If you're a typical college student like I was a year ago, you'll need to keep it on the cheap. Judging from the sweater and store, I'd assume you'd like to avoid the Abercrombie look. Please do not do the following: Square-toed shoes(!), excessive striped shirts, poorly fitted dress clothing.

I strongly suggest avoiding places like Urban Behavior and the Buckle as much as Abercrombie. Urban Behavior will give you things that seem decent enough but miss the mark - such as your sweater - excellent fit, but the graphic is a no-no.

I'm not trying to turn you into a hipster, but for affordable but slimmer clothing go to H & M, Urban Outfitters, Heritage 1981, and Express; though the last two should be shopped at with a keen eye since only 1:50 things they sell are worth buying. H & M is, without a doubt, the broke Fashion-person's dream. They team up with a lot of famous designers, cut everything very slim, and nothing is absurdly expensive. The last time I went I got a black suit for $250, Dress shirt for $40, and silk tie for $30 or so. Dress pants are around $50, a big variety of button-downs from $20-$45, Jeans $40-$60, etc. etc.

Whatever you do, make sure it actually fits, but that doesn't look like an issue for you. If you get a blazer, for the love of GOD have it altered if you have enough time.

All of this is irrelevant now, I realize, if you aren't broke and away from a decent-sized metropolitan area. Where are you at anywho?

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yes please for the love of god avoid those tacky striped shirts and squared toe shoes. i have no idea who still thinks square toe shoes look good in this day and age.

thmdnghtaz

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions, definitly helpful to look in the WAYWNT thread.

I'm in Seattle, and not "broke" but not into really spendy places either. There's an urban outfitters right by campus, it's good to know that it's a good place to check. Slim-fit is good too, I cannot stand when dress shirts feel baggy around the waist.

Good to know the graphics are bad, I think I'm generally pretty good at dressing myself, but it's really beneficial to know what mistakes I make.

note to self: no tacky striped shirts (everystore is flooded with them)
no square toed shoes

Question, how do you guys feel about waistcoats? I've seen some people wearing them, and some adds incorporating them.

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if you're wearing waistcoats in the casual context that i see a lot of students do nowadays, like with a t-shirt and some plaid or vintage looking trousers and converse, then i'd suggest please stay away. It's overdone and cliche. I think a waistcoat would look fine for your age if you wore maybe a blazer (i'm actually picturing black blazer + black waistcoat, or maybe pinstripe...im thinking clashing patterns like tweeds and what not might work but that's not my area of expertise, so i won't comment further) and dark jeans with boots. A 3/4 length overcoat + waistcoat + jeans + boots would also work. These are looks i wore sometimes in college when i wanted to break out of the traditional blazer/jeans look.

Overall though I feel waistcoats are most appropriate with a 3 piece suit, and you can show off just the vest when you take your jacket off. Otherwise i'm pretty bored of incorporating it into casual dress.

DeadDJ

Reaction score
So even though the main H&M site doesn't list any Seattle locations, a quick web search showed newspaper reports saying THREE would be open by fall and they sound ******* huge you lucky blaggard. I can't emphasize more that on a tight budget this place is vital. There is nowhere better for styling and cut at anywhere near their price range. Other board members may not appreciate it as much, talking about $500 shoes on sale for $250, but trust me on this.

If you have a chance go to ALL of the stores available. My friend from NY told me that each store in a different area carried different things (one trendier, one more adult, etc.) and of course just things that are sold out in one available in another.

You mentioned something about graphic stuff and I have to say not everything is off limits. However as a general rule, nothing considered halfway formal should have screenprints/designs: button-downs, polos, blazers, etc. If you tell us more about what you have, it'll be easier to help you. I'm going to be quite wordy about all of this because I was in your shoes not so long ago.

Waistcoats are fine and at this point can be worn as Fade to Black said or casually. You can go hipster and wear it with a v-neck and straight leg jeans (can't do this with boot cuts) or dress it a little more with a button down and tie. I personally wouldn't go three piece suit as it looks a bit more like an affectation at your age, anachronistic and weird if done with a blazer and jeans.

Are you trying to pick up one outfit, begin a dress wardrobe, or a whole new wardrobe. Your answer here will determine my advice on what you should get. Oh, and what's your body type/measurements?

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^having 3 H&M's is not a godsend. it's a nightmare. i can only imagine what my campus will look like come fall.

DeadDJ

Reaction score
Originally Posted by stickonatree
^having 3 H&M's is not a godsend. it's a nightmare. i can only imagine what my campus will look like come fall.
Probably like every other campus on earth. Ok I suppose I overemphasize. Besides what I've already said, I've only bought two other things from there owing partly to the fact I don't live anywhere near one. But with what I'm imagining what he wants to do, it's a very good thing.

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One store I hear is really nice in Seattle is Blackbird's. From the looks of it they have some really good brands, and are very fashion forward. I think it would be at least worth checking out. Their blog (link below) has a ton of their clothing section (and obviously not everything will be your style). http://helloblackbird.blogspot.com/ (I've only heard online reviews of this place, and their blog, so if it sucks irl please post)

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i highly recommend blackbird, i've done a few mailorders with them and they are nothing but helpful, they take every single measurement i ask for in every size in every item i ask...
they describe the fits and everything
and then they ship it to you free if you spend over $100

great service
great store
they will have my business in the future

Hummingbird

Reaction score
Thanks for posting the blackbird site, they have amazing stuff!

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yea blackbird's is good, a 10% off for sufu members in the area. however, i think their prices are always a bit high...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads