• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HELP I need a suit but I'm tiny

thisisme

Reaction score
Basically as this thread says im looking for a suit but I'm tiny (5'3, 33chest, 28" inseam, thin @ 120lbs) any help? I'm looking for something cheap/affordable and fits well. i live in vancouver if this provides any help.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
made to measure, or find out where the chinese guys in vancouver buy their suits, or go to a department store and ask for 'cadet' sizes. they may be in the boys section.

thisisme

Reaction score
thanks, i will take a look into boys suits but I'm not sure what labels i should look out for

CoryB

Reaction score
This is a fantastic question. I'm similar in size, just a bit larger, and will be in Vancouver next week.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
made to measure, or find out where the chinese guys in vancouver buy their suits, or go to a department store and ask for 'cadet' sizes. they may be in the boys section.
funny, i'm of chinese descent yet i wear a size 40. and more than half of my chinese friends are bigger than me.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
IIRC, Brooks Bros carries basic suits in sizes all the way down, pretty much, though you may have to go to the boys' section of the store. From what I have heard the construction is not much different in those though.

Edit: you would be about a size 16 or 18.

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...&Parent_Id=405

RantriX

Reaction score
I think my body is around the same as thisisme.
I am about 5'5", and I weight about 120lbs. I actually don't know any of my measurements.
But I find it that most of the time when I try to buy a suit in store, it doesn't really fit.
Should I also try "cadet" sized suits?
If so what size would I be? and will the suit be a nice fit? or should I try a custom suit?

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
mini-me-2.jpg

summej2

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
funny, i'm of chinese descent yet i wear a size 40. and more than half of my chinese friends are bigger than me.

That is a stereotype that is quickly becoming obsolete. I'm 5' 3", 28n inseam, 28 waist, 35 chest and I thought I would have an easy time finding suits my size in Japan. As it turns out, the average Japanese man my age is quite a bit bigger; I am the same size as the average grandfather, however...

To the original poster: try Paul Stuart 36S, they run slim (or used to). Also, many suits meant for the European market run slim (not Zegna, the US imports are huge). If your shoulders are broad, a little waist supression on a slightly large suit might address most of your problems.

Being in your same situation I tend to get either MTM, vintage (when a 36 really was a 36), or one of the few brands I know will at least be in the ballpark when I take it to my tailor.

summej2

Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
IIRC, Brooks Bros carries basic suits in sizes all the way down, pretty much, though you may have to go to the boys' section of the store. From what I have heard the construction is not much different in those though.

Edit: you would be about a size 16 or 18.

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...&Parent_Id=405

The problem with kid's suits is that the drop is usually too small, the rear pants pocket won't take a wallet (the reason I don't put mine there), and the pants are often not sized for someone of...ahem...adult physiology.

I've bought some kid's stuff, but mostly sportcoats where the issues are fewer.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Guys, no offense to the other posters but the advice to shop in the boy's dept. is bad. For both physical and psychological reason's, no grown man should shop in the boy's dept. If you have $300-500 bucks to spend on a suit, track down you local "Mohan's", "La Rukico" or other Indian/Hong Kong tailor and go that route. If that is too much money, than go to a local Macy's, Filene's, or other dept. store (or even *shudder* Men's Warehouse) and get the smallest size they make (I think 36S should not be hard to find) and then get the suit to a tailor for whatever alterations you need. Childrens suit's are cut to make it look like a child is wearing grown up clothes. I'm assuming you don't want to look like a dressed up child.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Guys, no offense to the other posters but the advice to shop in the boy's dept. is bad. For both physical and psychological reason's, no grown man should shop in the boy's dept. If you have $300-500 bucks to spend on a suit, track down you local "Mohan's", "La Rukico" or other Indian/Hong Kong tailor and go that route. If that is too much money, than go to a local Macy's, Filene's, or other dept. store (or even *shudder* Men's Warehouse) and get the smallest size they make (I think 36S should not be hard to find) and then get the suit to a tailor for whatever alterations you need. Childrens suit's are cut to make it look like a child is wearing grown up clothes. I'm assuming you don't want to look like a dressed up child.

i disagree. i recently had to buy a suit as a costume for an actor who was a size 34. i ended up getting one at a children's clothing store and it looked very good on him.

there is a size 34 suit at worldsfinest right now. i think it's a borrelli or attolini.

buying a size 36 for a guy who is a 33 is a big mistake IMO.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I beg you, don't shop in the little boy's section, you'll end up looking like this gentlemen. Don't let the babyface fool you, he is actually 37...
little_joey_suit.sized.jpg

This is me and my older brother Ken, who also happens to be a 34S. This is before I found SF so lets keep the comments to a minimum please.

brent1.jpg

CaptChaos

Reaction score
Try Harry Rosen at Oakridge Mall. They carry a decent number of smaller sizes due to the high asian population in the area.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads