• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help: How are these boots for snow?

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/2059562/c/22049.html

88130-d.jpg

The Pitt Boss is everything a work boot should be: Safe, tough and really comfortable. These boots aren't anything if they aren't tough. Go ahead, just try to wear them out.

Uninsulated, full-grain or nubuck leather upper for comfort and long lasting wear.

Goodyear welt construction for rugged durability.

Removable, contoured sock liner for comfort.

Welted lug outsole for exceptional traction.

Steel toes meet ANSI Z41 PT99 safety standards and feature a roomier steel toe box than most other boots for a more comfortable fit.

Electrical Hazard Protection meets ANSI Z41 PT99 standards to provide protection from open circuits.

PRO 24/7 Comfort Suspension™ technology is a unique comfort system that meets the most rigorous work site demands - 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. It helps reduce foot fatigue, support the arch and cushion every step.
I went to Filene's Basement and picked up these boots, after asking two salespeople specifically if they were good for snow. Turns out they're work boots that, I think, are work boots that are insulated against electricity, not snow.

I picked them up for $55, an okay but not amazing deal. Should I return them and shop for waterproof hiking boots?

Sorry, but I've never had to deal with snow in my whole life, and am completely clueless.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by josepidal
I went to Filene's Basement and picked up these boots, after asking two salespeople specifically if they were good for snow. Turns out they're work boots that, I think, are work boots that are insulated against electricity, not snow.

I picked them up for $55, and okay but not amazing deal. Should I return them and shop for waterproof hiking boots?

Sorry, but I've never had to deal with snow in my whole life, and am completely clueless.

I think you should invest in a pair of snow shoes, or cross-country skis, to be honest. Boots/shoes will definitely not be enough for the amount of snow you're likely going to get in Boston. That and a large shovel to dig yourself out, just in case.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unless you actually need it, avoid steel toe. Especially if what you want is a winter boot.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Drizzt, congratulations on upping your post count. May I kindly request you to refrain from trolling and give way to responsive advice. I know you get off on doing this to every post I make, but trust me, I'm sure you can restrain yourself.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
I think you should invest in a pair of snow shoes, or cross-country skis, to be honest. Boots/shoes will definitely not be enough for the amount of snow you're likely going to get in Boston. That and a large shovel to dig yourself out, just in case.

You have no idea how hard I laughed at that comment. You've just earned a bunch of good karma to use in your next reincarnation.
fing02[1].gif

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For everyday life, I did not miss "snow boots" when I lived in New Hampshire, in a place that did not see the frequent snow plowing that Cambridge/Boston does.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score

88130-d.jpg

I picked them up for $55, and okay but not amazing deal. Should I return them and shop for waterproof hiking boots?

More seriously, unless you're planning to go hiking a lot these boots will be fine in the Boston snow. As long as you got good soles to avoid slipping on ice and they're relatively waterproof (like these ones seem to be) you're okay. What you should definitely do is stock up on thicker socks than the ones you probably got.

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Will those boots be fine for snow? Likely. Are they optimal? Not really.

I'm assuming you're looking for some casual, ugly winter boots? I guess most of the southerners here wouldn't understand why the rest of us need ugly winter boots. The cold, the snow, the wetness, the ice, the salt.... *shudder*

First off, you need boots with sufficient insulation. Without it, your toes can get numb really easily - not a good feeling. Thinsulate is generally the standard, cheap-o insulation for most winterboots. Second, waterproofing helps. Wet, cold boots is a recipe for pain and discomfort. Gore-tex is a breathable membrane that functions best with large temperate differences, so it's ideal for winter boots. Third, are you planning on just taking a walk in the boots, or doing stuff like shovelling/building a fort, snowman, etc. Snowstorms can kick up the white shite really high... those boots might not be high enough to prevent snow getting in. Next, are they ugly enough? Salt will ruin any good looking pair of boots, so why pay for style? Get them ugly, and get them dirty
wink.gif
And most important... the sole. Snow is a joke. It's ice that is a pain **********. Once the snow is plowed, there's usually a thin layer of snow that gets compacted, and gradually melts/re-freezes to the point where it's just a sheet of ice. Good grippy soles help prevent those nasty slip and falls. I still have not found good slip proof boots... so if anybody knows, speak up.

Basically, it should look something like one of these:
http://www.softmoc.com/ca/systemshow-item_INM1207-251

On the other hand, if you have a red carpet from your house to your pre-heated Rolls, and you will likely never have to shovel yourself out because you have an on-duty shoveller, don't worry about winter boots.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Drizzt, congratulations on upping your post count.

Says the lawyer from the tropical country that has posted 234908209823 posts about what to do in the cold? Pot, kettle, black.

May I kindly request you to refrain from trolling and give way to responsive advice. I know you get off on doing this to every post I make, but trust me, I'm sure you can restrain yourself.

May I kindly request you wasting forum bandwidth with 300 questions about winter wear in Boston? I know you get off on doing this 3-4 times every day, but trust me, I'm sure you can figure out what's appropriate for winter wear without asking the forum and restrain yourself.

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd probably get something like this.

Ugly, but functional.

ts4them

Reaction score
I don't know what your style is, but I'm looking at this pair from LLBean. They are the closest thing to a minimal and stylish snow shoe that I've ever seen. They don't have thinsulate, but they keep the slush out. $65 is a good deal and LLBean has a reputation for good quality. They have tons of other styles; if I were going for a preppy look, I'd get the famous hunting boots.
http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/sto...feat=501687-tn

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
Laces are, generally, no good. Get a pull-on boot w/at least an 8" shaft. 11 or 12" is better. Rub the hell out of them w/mink oil. Boots w/o lining will dry faster. Wear thick socks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads