• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

help globetrotter build a new casual wardrobe

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
gentlemen, I need to build a whole new wardrobe, and I am asking for help. I am pretty ******* hopeless when it comes to casual. usually, I wear suits or sweats (and my sweats are pretty ******* grungy). my causual wardrobe consists of about 10 tennis shirts (all in dark blue) 2-3 pair of gray wool pants, 2-4 pair of khaki pants, 2-3 pair of cargo shorts. a few sweaters, a pair of keens.

aside from that - maybe 10 blue tee shirts, no decal, 4-5 pair of grungy sweat pants, maybe 5 dark blue or gray hoodies. 3 pair of sneakers.

effectivly, I wear sweats or a tee shirt and shorts when I excersize, I wear a pair pf shorts and a tennis shirt when I am hanging out with my kids or going to the beach, and a suit for business.

about me - I am a director in a 200 mil company, father of twin 4 year olds and a 9 year old, 43. short and broad, full head of hair, light skin. ex-military

what do I want? - I like to have a simple wardrobe, not really flashy or looking like it consits of a lot, but I want it to look better, more organized, neater.

I am thinking of 5 short sleeved rugby shirts, 5 long sleeved rugby shirts, 9 pair of cargo pants (3 wool, 3 khaki, 3 seer sucker) 6 cargo shorts (2 khaki, 2 madras, 2 seer sucker), 4 sweaters (ll bean norwigian sweater, 2 dark shetland sweaters, 1 dark alpaca sweater ) barbour jacket, leather bomber jacket, 2 pair of dark chukas.

also, 5 dark gray/blue hoodies, 5 dark gray/blue 5 underarmour heatware 5 underarmour coldware (or what ever the **** they call it), 10 dark gray/blue tee shirts in cotton, 5 pair boxing shorts, 5 swin shorts, 5 underarmour beanies, 10 pair sports socks.

that's what I am thinking, but I am very open to suggestions/comments. I am looking to buy a whole new wardrobe around January.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
not sure about the "high" number of cargo gear?

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
First thing I'd do would be to separate my wardrobe into three instead of two categories:

1) MC-work clothing: suits, ties, dress shirts, slacks, etc

2) Gym-playing w. kids clothing: (keep the underarmour, hoodies, cargo shorts or pants, track pants, etc

3)Streetwear forum-grownup casualwear

Correct me if I'm wrong but you're not really into looking like a kid, fashion person or a hipster, you're a pretty serious guy who is heavily invested into the trappings of adulthood; it is time to start dressing like one when you're not working.

I'd see your casual wear wardrobe as small in size but reliable for most occasions; dropping off at a friend's place, wearable on the weekend or going to a restaurent when you're travelling, suitable for a variety of climates.

No tee shirts or ratty sneakers or whatever.

-10 button down shirts (6 longsleeves, 4 shortsleeves): patterned stuff (checks, stripes), not too fitted but not too relaxed. Something you find comfortable but wouldn't make you look bad if you ran into a client.
-one pair of jeans (optional): email kiya at selfedge and get a real pair of semi-relaxed jeans. Might be pricey but it is worth having one. If you want to avoid jeans skip that part.
-cotton chinos in 5 different colours (beige, grey, navy, +2 others). Look at the incotex/mabitex on B&S or go to an asian tailor.You can switch one or two of those for linen slacks (no cargo pockets).
-4 sweaters (two light, two heavy)
-2 pairs of nice sneakers. No running shoes or **** like that. Some clean adidas sambas or jack purcell. You could go more high-end and get common projects.
-2 pair of shoes you'd wear casually (maybe re-use some from your dressy wardrobe or pickup the light chukkas).
-one baracuta g9 original jacket (beige, navy whatever)
-one barbour (no leather you'll look like a gay dad)
-2 casual sportcoats (one light linen, one heavier patterned fabric)

Not an exciting wardrobe according to my taste but it will def project the image you want, make your wife happy and make you look respectable.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
thanks, this is good stuff.

Originally Posted by Fuuma
First thing I'd do would be to separate my wardrobe into three instead of two categories:

1) MC-work clothing: suits, ties, dress shirts, slacks, etc

2) Gym-playing w. kids clothing: (keep the underarmour, hoodies, cargo shorts or pants, track pants, etc

3)Streetwear forum-grownup casualwear

Correct me if I'm wrong but you're not really into looking like a kid, fashion person or a hipster, you're a pretty serious guy who is heavily invested into the trappings of adulthood; it is time to start dressing like one when you're not working.

I'd see your casual wear wardrobe as small in size but reliable for most occasions; dropping off at a friend's place, wearable on the weekend or going to a restaurent when you're travelling, suitable for a variety of climates.

No tee shirts or ratty sneakers or whatever.

-10 button down shirts (6 longsleeves, 4 shortsleeves): patterned stuff (checks, stripes), not too fitted but not too relaxed. Something you find comfortable but wouldn't make you look bad if you ran into a client.
-one pair of jeans (optional): email kiya at selfedge and get a real pair of semi-relaxed jeans. Might be pricey but it is worth having one. If you want to avoid jeans skip that part.
-cotton chinos in 5 different colours (beige, grey, navy, +2 others). Look at the incotex/mabitex on B&S or go to an asian tailor.You can switch one or two of those for linen slacks (no cargo pockets).
-4 sweaters (two light, two heavy)
-2 pairs of nice sneakers. No running shoes or **** like that. Some clean adidas sambas or jack purcell. You could go more high-end and get common projects.
-2 pair of shoes you'd wear casually (maybe re-use some from your dressy wardrobe or pickup the light chukkas).
-one baracuta g9 original jacket (beige, navy whatever)
-one barbour (no leather you'll look like a gay dad)
-2 casual sportcoats (one light linen, one heavier patterned fabric)

Not an exciting wardrobe according to my taste but it will def project the image you want, make your wife happy and make you look respectable.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
hmmmm....... here's a thought, I could see going for more pants and 6 odd jackets - 2 alpaca, 2 tweed, 2 madras, instead of the cargo (although I love cargo pants, I can live withouth them) as part of my "mens clothing" wardrobe. and a bunch of botton down shirts for business casual wear.

what are other people's thoughts on the leather jacket? I like the idea of a bomber jacket, but not married to it, and don't need to look like a gay dad.

hmmmm its a thought.

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll play into this too...

If the bomber fits you well I don't think it would matter much about any stereotypes, you still end up with a classic masculine jacket. Just as your sportscoat shouldn't be 2 sizes too big in MC, same here with leather jackets. They should fit nearly as well to the body for leather jackets.

If you don't feel you "pull off" leather, look into buying a buttoned front suede bomber. Or since your area gets quite cold look into a wool bomber in outerwear weight for winter. These are both similar cuts/styling, just different material.

Overall, bombers make great (shorter) casual jackets.

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think Fuuma gave a great answer.

max_r

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i think fuumas post is perfect. do exactly that.

i dont know what your build is like, but if you're fairly athletic or slim and dont have a gut, i'd look into TOJ for a bomber jacket if you want one (if you dont already know, its a small operation done by a forum member, heres the thread to order from http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=138419)

check out the fit pictures first here: http://toj.pixi.me/v/toj2_2/ they fit pretty slim, so you're best off emailing him to get the sizing right if you dont want a slim fitting bomber jacket.

only reason i bring this up is because whenever i see an older guy wearing a bomber jacket they always look like this

41wmruqonalss400.jpg

which is horrible

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
hmmmm....... here's a thought, I could see going for more pants and 6 odd jackets - 2 alpaca, 2 tweed, 2 madras, instead of the cargo (although I love cargo pants, I can live withouth them) as part of my "mens clothing" wardrobe. and a bunch of botton down shirts for business casual wear.

what are other people's thoughts on the leather jacket? I like the idea of a bomber jacket, but not married to it, and don't need to look like a gay dad.

hmmmm its a thought.

I'd avoid basing it too heavily on sportsjackets, too restricting and dressed up. I see it more as khakis, nice shoes, button down and a light jacket or sweater. You need to live in this and let's face it; you'll rarely want to wear a jacket on weekends if YOU HAVE TO during the week. W. a wardrobe that way you can just wear a shirt, pants and some sneakers if you feel like it. You can add some cords if you want variety but they're a lot more fall/winter.

I'd say a leather is doable but usually not done very well; it needs to be either fashiony/experimental, rock'n'roll or americana to work well. You are not like that, wear a suede jacket instead it is a much better look on a variety of men and body types.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Globe, Fuuma's advice is spot-on.

I am sure that you could carry off a bomber jacket but think it might be a little much.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd avoid basing it too heavily on sportsjackets, too restricting and dressed up. I see it more as khakis, nice shoes, button down and a light jacket or sweater. You need to live in this and let's face it; you'll rarely want to wear a jacket on weekends if YOU HAVE TO during the week. W. a wardrobe that way you can just wear a shirt, pants and some sneakers if you feel like it. You can add some cords if you want variety but they're a lot more fall/winter.

I'd say a leather is doable but usually not done very well; it needs to be either fashiony/experimental, rock'n'roll or americana to work well. You are not like that, wear a suede jacket instead it is a much better look on a variety of men and body types.

this sounds good, thanks.

what about those fleece jackets from colombia sportswear and the like? I see a lot of dad's wearing those on the weekends.

Jekyll

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I dunno what his normal look is, but a brown bomber with khakis can look pretty grownup and respectable. It might be a bit americana, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

phildo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
what about those fleece jackets from colombia sportswear and the like? I see a lot of dad's wearing those on the weekends.

Not sure if this was serious, but I'd avoid them for anything other than hiking or outdoors stuff, ie you wear them in a situation where you don't care what you look like.

Another option instead of the traditional sportscoats are these deconstructed blazers in fleece/cotton that some brands have out. This is one by wings + horns in recycled fleece.

WingsandHorns_Fleece_Jack.jpg

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hard to improve Fuuma's advice.

I would have a hard time with only 4 sweaters, but I live where it's cold five months a year. I like to have vests, v-necks, and crewnecks. Maybe 6 would be my minimum if the colors bear repeating (3 vests, 2 v-necks, 1 crewneck).

I'd recommend moving shorts into the gym/play category and have & wear them only when the play requires them (gym, soccer with kids, week at the beach, etc.).

Then spread the chino budget into different weights, according to the seasons you'll wear them. I wear the likes of Bill's poplin on the hottest days, with a short-sleeve buttondown shirt, and they are not hotter than cargo shorts. If anything cooler. They keep the sun off your legs. I will not wear long sleeve casual shirts in the summer, but I can live well and prosper without shorts at 40.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads