• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help for Newbie trying to Learn Style

adesai

Reaction score
Hello,

This site is great for the wealth of information for people like me who are in lack of style skills or know hows.

I would like to ask some general questions, if you can guide that would be much appreciated: Here they go. By the way I work at a IT Consulting Firm in the U.S. and it is not California or N.Y.

Here are my stats: I am 5'6" ( Portly; although working on trimming down). 42" inch Waist. and inseam of 30 works although 29 is better in length.

1.> At work its Casual to Business Casual. So many people wear untucked buttondown shirts or polo shirts. I would like to know what is the appropriate length for untucked shirt. I have to XL or XXL and that length I feel is long. Which by the way comes right to fork of the pants.

2.> I have brown tone skin, and I would like to know what seasonal colors I should go for.

3> Any suggestion on clothing style for my work environment. i.e. Jeans with Stripe shirt untucked is okay. Where brown shoes with dark Jeans.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Amar

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I doubt you'd find many here who advocate untucked shirts as 'stylish' wear. Brown shoes are generally ok though
smile.gif

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by adesai
1.> At work its Casual to Business Casual. So many people wear untucked buttondown shirts or polo shirts. I would like to know what is the appropriate length for untucked shirt. I have to XL or XXL and that length I feel is long. Which by the way comes right to fork of the pants.

Welcome, Adesai. Personally, I would suggest you avoid untucked button-up shirts at the office, unless, perhaps, they're squared at the bottom and as such made specifically to be worn untucked. If that's the case, I'd say they should fall slightly below your belt. Because of the casual nature of this clothing item, I doubt there's any hard and fast rule on the proper length. (Honestly, I find such shirts a bit too casual for the workplace. But that's just my opinion.)

2.> I have brown tone skin, and I would like to know what seasonal colors I should go for.

A lot has been written on this. Alan Flusser's book "Dressing the Man" deals with this extensively, and would be well worth picking up if you don't already own it. It's a goldmine of the very type of information you're seeking.

Beyond that, Andy over at Ask Andy About Clothes has some excellent color guidance. http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/H...troduction.htm

3> Any suggestion on clothing style for my work environment. i.e. Jeans with Stripe shirt untucked is okay. Where brown shoes with dark Jeans.

The good thing about such environments is that it's easy to stand out by dressing well. Doesn't mean you need a suit -- khakis and button-up shirts, tucked in and neatly pressed, will take you a long way. If the office is very casual, and it sounds like it is, you might mix in some polos. In fall and winter, you could add in corduroys, tattersalls and other seasonal fabrics. If you want to take it a step further, nice dress slacks would work well for your purpose. You might even find you like it, and want to add in a blazer and some sportcoats!

kitonbrioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hopefully, reading the forums will motivate you to become a fashion leader at your office. Not much fashion here but a lost of style. Developing your personal style is a good goal. You might upgrade your outfits and get a good tailor to make sure they fit you right. Think about getting some nice sweaters, light weight wool pants, blazers starting with solid charcoal and navy. Get the best brown shoes you can. Post a picture of what you're wearing now and let the forum critique it for you.

adesai

Reaction score
Thank you kitonbrioni, DocHolliday, and chobochobo for the reply. It does help quite a bit.

I am going to pick up that book as mentioned.

I do have Polos; Should I tuck those as well?.

Also, I wear undershirts which are around the neck (not V-neck). there white and as I have the first button undoen it does show. Is that okay to do or should I prompt for the V-Necks.

Thanks again.

amar

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thank you kitonbrioni, DocHolliday, and chobochobo for the reply. It does help quite a bit.

I am going to pick up that book as mentioned.

I do have Polos; Should I tuck those as well?.

Tucked in is a bit dressier, so I like that look for the office. And stockier men are often concerned about not looking sloppy, so I like it for that reason too.

Also, I wear undershirts which are around the neck (not V-neck). there white and as I have the first button undoen it does show. Is that okay to do or should I prompt for the V-Necks.

This is entirely personal preference. I think it looks fine, but some guys don't like it. Whatever you think best.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
welcome.

read the forums.
know what to look for in clothes and shoes.
know what is right for you, based on style, budget....
develop your own style.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Generally, an untucked shirt should end at about the middle of the behind. (Slightly shorter can look good, but it's prone to rising up.) Polos usually should not be tucked, although they can look fine tucked on very fit individuals. Overweight individuals disguise better using tricks such as patterns and jackets.

Anything that looks like an undershirt should not be visible to observers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads